Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By Bomber4000 Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:37 pm
Downloaded !
Just played around for a couple of minutes.
It's a whole new setup indeed, looks very good and you can tell they put work into it.
Standard tracks were kinda weak imo but i didn't hear them all yet and it's about making your own, but still not very inspiring tracks like NI does ....

Gonna dive into more....

Oh ps, works perfect with MPC FLY ! especially now with the bargains and the FLY being sold cheap it truely is a steal and totally worth it.
Works perfect with this app (and ofcourse the weak first version) and is fun to use with BM2 aswell but limited to the 16 pads only.
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:36 am
No MIDI Out, no MIDI sync/clock functions, no latency adjustment, 44.1kHz only for sounds, apparently still no support for normal folder uploads. The loading singles from iTunes and then have to move them one by one and scroll gigantic lists as in the previous app...terrible.

I also just watched it's RAM usage go up 300MB by only placing 13 MIDI note events with one Program loaded.

Doesn't show in Tabletop at all. I'm sorry but Retronyms are a joke.

Beatmaker2 is several measures better. Beatmaker 3 will slaughter this only marginal improvement over the iMPC debacle app.
By Chillin Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:29 am
Metatron72 wrote:No MIDI Out, no MIDI sync/clock functions, no latency adjustment, 44.1kHz only for sounds, apparently still no support for normal folder uploads. The loading singles from iTunes and then have to move them one by one and scroll gigantic lists as in the previous app...terrible.

I also just watched it's RAM usage go up 300MB by only placing 13 MIDI note events with one Program loaded.

Doesn't show in Tabletop at all. I'm sorry but Retronyms are a joke.

Beatmaker2 is several measures better. Beatmaker 3 will slaughter this only marginal improvement over the iMPC debacle app.

It's still V1.0, I'm sure improvements will be made. Btw, I just downloaded the app as well. And I'm going to open the app now...later.
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:30 am
I don't think it loads legacy PGM formats. Which I had hoped it would seeing as how Akai's desktop competitor managed it. And it would also open up third party kits that could be sold. A thought that might have crossed your mind Tutor. :)

I don't have a Ren or Studio, so I'm unsure if there is any compatibility there or it just shares sequences and the sample in a non ordered way.

But at first glance it seems it's what you've conjectured. The sample uploading is still kind of busted like the first app. You just end up with 100s or 1000s of singles in one long list in the iTunes file share folder. I assume if you make a program dragging your hits one by one to pads when you save it folders them.

But nothing like BM2 with create folder, edit/delete mode and more standard folder options. I'm still trying to figure out how to move hits from iTunes folder to the category folders and 42 user folders. All of which come empty by default. It seems Audiocopy is one way to add to them. And I assume the recordings folder might be the default save spot for sampling into the app. I haven't tried yet. I always start on an app like this with trying to get a lot of stuff from my computer's HD in.

Chillin wrote:It's still V1.0, I'm sure improvements will be made. Btw, I just downloaded the app as well. And I'm going to open the app now...later.

It's Retronyms I'm not particularly confident.

It doesn't even load in Tabletop their flagship app. Either they knew and still released or are just that clueless. So that has to be updated now. So I can't try out external MIDI Hardware control yet.

People asked for a discount after the first app. I knew Apple's rules make that impossible. So does Retronyms. But they still said we will see what we can do. They debuted with the $7USD discount. I like that. It's as much as any iMPC owner could have hoped in a loyalty discount. I hardly needed the price break to some payback for getting burned on the first app.

But what I'm not feeling is then saying, oh sorry no loyalty discount was possible so instead iMPC owners can vote the next feature add... :Sigh:
I really don't like the idea of MIDI Out and clock sync to be relegated to a poll/lottery.

They chose the choices, they all are no brainier things. And MIDI Out is losing to auto beat detection...again... :Sigh:

I can not fathom that being more important than MIDI Out and proper clock sync functions. The latter bigger a deal than it might seem at first. Because in an IAA situation you'd like to have your audio recording synced up by default and shared transport controls as split screen app running isn't coming until iOS 8.

It's a decent app as a standalone. But if they fix MIDI, the app becomes a hell of a lot more useful.
By Kcearl Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:03 pm
First impressions (apart from the above mentioned) are pretty good...if youre happy to use it only in the ipads closed environment.

Kinda useless for using with a DAW or a hardware MPC...no project export? No individual stem export? No midi export? Unless Im missing a pretty obvious feature...

I was about to drop $ on an element controller (lucky I waited) with the hope of integrating it with an MPC Studio...does anyone have any info on whether these are going to be updates?

No offense (especially on my first post) but akai and retronyms are hardly renowned for quick updates.

Man this app came so close.
By v00d00ppl Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:32 pm
Kcearl wrote:First impressions (apart from the above mentioned) are pretty good...if youre happy to use it only in the ipads closed environment.

Kinda useless for using with a DAW or a hardware MPC...no project export? No individual stem export? No midi export? Unless Im missing a pretty obvious feature...

I was about to drop $ on an element controller (lucky I waited) with the hope of integrating it with an MPC Studio...does anyone have any info on whether these are going to be updates?

No offense (especially on my first post) but akai and retronyms are hardly renowned for quick updates.

Man this app came so close.

Hey Kcearl welcome to the forums. I love all the kits you posted on the arturia spark forums. This is MPC60champ by the way at the arturia forums.
By Kcearl Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:40 pm
Thanks for the welcome bud...new baby means less time with Spark etc...thats why Im looking at apps to do sketches and transfer them later. Been using cubasis for midi arranging and its excellent, I hope this ends up excellent too!
By Chillin Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:03 pm
pspsounds wrote:Just downloaded. I don't know if I'm overlooking it or what but where is the tap button?

Go to song mode, the sequences.
By Kcearl Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:25 pm
kaydigi wrote:So you can not export projects to the Mpc Renaissance?

Not so far. Exports a single wav...no way I can find to rename it so even soloing tracks just overwrites the previous one with itunes share. Workaround is using audio copy.

After all the teasers and how much work thats gone into it to have no project or stem export is just half arsed. It uses too much RAM to be a closed environment. Son I am dissapoint.
By kaydigi Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:08 pm
Kcearl wrote:
kaydigi wrote:So you can not export projects to the Mpc Renaissance?

Not so far. Exports a single wav...no way I can find to rename it so even soloing tracks just overwrites the previous one with itunes share. Workaround is using audio copy.

After all the teasers and how much work thats gone into it to have no project or stem export is just half arsed. It uses too much RAM to be a closed environment. Son I am dissapoint.

That hilarious, considering that they had a Ren in the background of every vid. Thanks for checking.
By Bomber4000 Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:21 pm
It indeed EATS ram and loading is extremely slow too considering the ipad has SSD, weird to say the least.
Don't dig all those dozens of empty folders, what's the use ? Even if you fill them you would never see in advance wether a folder conatins data or not.

The timeline control is wack too, especially deleting small/short notes is not very intuitive at all ....

Looks like most work went into creating those Teaser movies that were indeed cool, smooth and everything worked flawless.

Already had the app crash half a dozen times. The pads react (to their location on the screen) when you are in the 'About' mode (where you check memory and such) ... A bug clearly.

Sure, a better version of Impc but could be a lot better.