Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By Metatron72 Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:51 am
64padzzx3 wrote:
Guess,it's back to the drawing board for Retronyms.I'll be on my 1000 until they get it right (Hmmm and maybe I will get a 500 for on the go)

Or just use BM2. :mrgreen:
By Strizbiz Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:05 pm
Not really floored at the moments, and the more I work with the the less I get. Im sure JP at Retronymlns wil love it, as he for the most part built it for himself as far as the workflow goes. Yeah, its got some new features, like the "Flux Link", but that would get old real quick for me. Its gotten a little too far off the path for me, as someone who used an MPC2000 for over ten years straight at one point, I sold my MPC years back but would love a REAL MPC IOS app. IF you ever really spent time with an MPC then you know this is far from it as far as the sequencing goes. First of all, the M inside on MPC stands for Midi Production Studio. At least thats what it read on my MPC2000. So....wheres the Midi retronymns?
Id actually still like to see some more development with the first IMPC, It just needed a few more things like Audiobus, IAA in and out, song mode, and maybe like 16 tracks would have been a big come up.
IMPC pro has a lot more features but Its hard for me to lable it as "Pro".
It has too many issues, Ram issues, pretty much everything everyone else is saying. It didnt get stellar marks from me as far as using it with Auria or Cubasis. Only time will tell with this one at the moment, but its not taking any names right now.
By Lampdog Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:13 pm
Strizbiz wrote:First of all, the M inside on MPC stands for Midi Production Studio. At least thats what it read on my MPC2000. So....wheres the Midi retronymns?

:lol: :lol:
By Metatron72 Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:30 pm
Akai knew the smoky game their future would become. They officially changed it from MIDI to Music somewhere into the Numark/In Music era. :mrgreen:
By 64padzzx3 Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 pm
Umm hate to keep on complaining but there's no delete option on the app..........................ok really retronyms,........why would you do that??,did you forget to make one and not at the beginning not for a project I mean say I make a program or sequence and I don't want it anymore...... WHY WOULD YOU MAKE ME KEEP IT!!!
By Metatron72 Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:43 pm
Carry on man...truly it's well deserved criticisms. I am shocked that this app has nothing but 4 and 5 star nut hugging reviews from people I can only assume made a 2 bar loop and declared it an 1:1 MPC hardware replacement. :Sigh:
By Loosecaboose Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:26 am
Metatron72 wrote:Carry on man...truly it's well deserved criticisms. I am shocked that this app has nothing but 4 and 5 star nut hugging reviews from people I can only assume made a 2 bar loop and declared it an 1:1 MPC hardware replacement. :Sigh:

You should check out the audiobus thread on impc. People getting shat on for bringing up legit problems
By Metatron72 Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:28 am
I had to leave a really good Facebook iOS music group for precisely the same thing. It's like modern hip hop, you're not "allowed" to have proper expectations.
By psr Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:02 pm
yea I agree it has a long way to go. but i also think its better than their first attempt. interestingly enough I ran into a cat at the apple store the other day and he says he makes beats and wanted to know what he could use on ios. I suggested beatmaker 2. he said oh but thats so involved and too deep (his words not mine). Then he said he's been using garage band. So I suggested iMPC Pro. I guess that says it all there. Not Beatmaker 2 by far but maybe for cats like that it works. Im a bit hopeful and optimistic I guess. I'd like to see them work towards adding all thats been mentioned here and more. Especially, some sort of cloud storage / file structure and midi implementation and it could stand to be a lot lighter on its feet as far as memory and cpu is concerned (the list is long). That said, i think this is a better foundation to build from that the original. I hope to see them build on it as they have with the MPC Software (we all know how perfect that is/was/continues to be).

All that said... will i be tossing my MPC out for iMPC Pro? Hell no. But I dont see that happening even if it was a much better app.

edit--->
btw... i reached out to them about when/if some of or any of these items would make it to the app in later updates because I'd like to mention that in my review (after I run it down the line about whats missing).
crickets.
By coolderb Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:19 pm
They have submitted an update to Apple:

iMPC Pro V 1.1:

•Trim endpoint saves and loads properly.

•Velocity for iMPC Element fixed.

•Added sound delete (drag to trash).

•Crash on set global for FX return and Master Fader fixed.

•Can now open and close precision mode controls while popover is active.

•Performance improvements on save and load sessions and sample edits.

•FX returns were moving some fader controls. This is fixed.

•iMPC Pro now registers as a InterApp Audio Instrument. Should sync better with Cubasis and other hosts.

•You can now drag pads across banks using multitouch. (eg: begin dragging pad, select bank b, drop pad)

•Various other small fixes and performance improvements.

By Ch@cE Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 pm
My 2 cent. was not to impressed, crashes like a lot, the sampler is wacky
If I make an edit why does it save as a copy. I am forced to save due to frequent
Crashes. Why does saving not save those re-edits. Guess it's a onetime save.
Where is the time stretching, cause calling tune time stretching is false.
Man the list is too long for me to get into it.
I still like impc cause all I use it for is drum.
Impc pro yea more like imp.
Anyway looking forward to patches, updates, fixes whatever you call it.
I will get a spanking new iPad if you Make it hot.i mean work.
By Baynbridge Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:19 pm
I love this thing. From the sampling to the mixing.... It's as easy as learning how to play the playstation. I can't see how a lot of complaints are coming about, but I have already made 4 classics on my impc and itching for more. Soundcloud @baynbridge3
By nyambe Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:53 am
Guys... its an iPad. Nothing like making beats anyware, bus, pool, park, in the car while waiting etc.

It does more than I could ever do on such a portable device.

Its a no brainer if you are into sampling your own beats.

64 tracks?!! lol not for the faint at heart. If you just want to make simple fun beats you might better of with something easier. lol

Loving this app. I got it as a scratch pad but heck, I can probably final beats on it.

awasome
By MiniDX Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:33 pm
Maybe now the new iphones 6 are bigger, Akai/Retronyms are going to port impc pro on iphone ??
By Shadyrest59 Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:04 am
And I am actually planning on getting this app. Getting the iPad and iMPC Pro this Friday.