Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By themagicalkamja Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:48 am
I've been playing with iMPC Pro since I bought it a couple weeks ago, but am not in love with the samples that it comes standard with. In particular, the drums don't wow me. So I've identified some drum 200 samples from my own personal stash I'd like to move into the app. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to do this efficiently.

So far, the best (read: only) way I've found is to sync the audio files with my iPad so they're in the iPad's media library, then record them one-by-one into iMPC Pro using the turntable, trim the silence, and save each sample individually into one of the folders in "My Sounds".

But come on, there has got to be a better way... For 200+ samples, this method is absurdly inefficient and labor-intensive!

The other problem with this method is that I don't know how to enter custom names for my samples. By default, iMPC Pro seems to just title them according to the date and time the sample was created in the app. This means that even if I give special titles to the audio files on my computer before I sync them, these names are overridden by the time stamp when they get saved into iMPC Pro. Does that make sense?

If anyone can resolve either of these issues for me (1: how to save a large number of one-shot samples quickly into the app; 2: how to rename samples within the app), you would be my hero.

And while I'm at it, I might as well ask: How can we rename the many user-defined folders in "My Sounds"?

Thanks!
By themagicalkamja Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:28 pm
No one else figured this out either, eh? Well, I actually have, partially.

It seems the way you're supposed to import samples is by uploading them en masse to iMPC Pro's tab in the File Sharing function under Apps in iTunes and syncing them to your iPad from there. I found instructions for doing this in regular iMPC, and have confirmed that it also works in iMPC Pro.

The good news is that this method maintains the file names of samples even after loading them into iMPC Pro,which was one of my original problems.

The bad news is that this method lumps all of your samples into one giant folder (called "iTunes File Transfer Bank" under My Sounds), and I don't know how to feasibly separate the samples out into folders from there, such as separating my snares from my kicks, vox from FX, and so on. So this has become my next big challenge.

Any thoughts on this?
By djsikndahed Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:32 am
Yes. Finally someone is having the same problem that I'm having when it comes to file management. Make sure to copy the original folder before you do any of this..

I was told to go to the APPS tab in ITUNES go to the MPCpro FOLDER copy that to your desktop // add all your files in the existing folders - KICKS / SNARES / HI HATS / ETC then Drop that folder back into the box you got from in ITUNES.

My new problem is NOW when I open IMPC pro It generates a MPCpro FOLDER in ITUNES and it has no ZERO Content so the program doesn't have my sounds in it.
And just below that folder I can see my folder with all my sounds in it but the program cant access it. I tried re-naming the folder but it just recreates a new one. This is BS.
By LeftFoot1st Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:28 pm
THE ANSWER FOR RENAMING....

when you sample something... in the wave editor you can tap the name they have already given the sample and type in what ever you want....

you CAN NOT batch edit or any of that... you have to do things one by one.

I've just sampled over 100 drum breaks that I like to use here and there, might trim it down.. but I def got the name in for most of them... some names are a little too long.
By blacpac Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:17 am
thx for your post djsikndahed thats what i was looking for. the problem your having is you got to sync after adding the mpc folder back to itunes. plus u can add new folders and rename them to. this answer might be late but hope it help others who just got the impc pro like me. and im using a ipad air 2 :smoker:
By djsikndahed Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:55 pm
@blacpac, here's the issue. When I take the MPC Folder out of Itunes to my desktop. The program seems to make a new duplicate MPC folder in Itunes. w ZERO KB in it. Then when I add my OG folder back to Itunes with the new files I put in the User Folders That folder is now. the 2nd folder in the List on Itunes. and the program is not accessing the new files I just added. ( that are in the 2nd folder on the list)

I've also tried to ADD files to the folder with out taking it to my desktop and it just adds a new folder to the list (Once again) and the program is not accessing the newly added files.

Why make such a dope App and half ass it? Wackness I won't be wasting anymore precious time on this.
By robbie274 Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:53 pm
Hi all, first post on here, just joined to share this info.

I have an answer to your problems regarding adding your own sounds and keeping them organised in their own folders, install the AudioCopy app and use the AudioPaste option in iMPC pro.

In a post above there was a link to instructions, these told you to use iTunes on your PC/Mac to drag and drop wav files to the iMPC Pro app shared documents section in iTunes, well its nearly correct. Do as the instructions say, unto the point of choosing the iMPC Pro app. instead choose the AudioCopy app shared folder to drop in the folder of wavs (from your PC)

Now, over in the iMPC Pro app on your iPad you can use the AudioPaste option (when adding sounds) to import the sounds into the iMPC Pro app, that way the top level folders of the samples (loops, bass, fx, and so on) are kept intact.

When choosing the AudipPaste option, this will being up a mini bowser of which you select the iTunes FileShare (which in this case is the AudioCopy fileshare). You should now see your top level folder you dragged and dropped on your PC, choose this and at the bottom of this window it will list how many samples will be pasted, e.g. Paste All (382 sounds), click this and it will begin to copy the samples into iMPC Pro. Once done, go to My Sounds, then select Pasted Audio Bank, iTunes FileShare, and here you will see your top level folder of samples, under this will be your organised samples in any folders they came with.

Whats happening here? Well with some assumption, you are copying your samples (in their folders) from your PC to AudioCopy on your iPad. iMPC Pro is then able to see these 'shared' samples using the AudioCopy 'AudioPaste' option. My guess is that the samples are copied again within the iPad to a place where iMPC Pro uses, so you may have used twice the amount of space the samples take up, one set in AudioCopy another in iMPC Pro. I guess you can remove the AudioCopy ones once you've added them to iMPC Pro, but AudioCopy can be used in other iPad apps so maybe useful to leave them there.

Hope this helps.