Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By MPCaRvER Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:03 pm
As an iMPC Pro user and an MPC Renaissance user, I was under the impression that you could transfer your projects from the iMPC Pro to the Ren.

I've made some tracks I really like on the iMPC Pro, but when I came to transfer them to the MAC for use in the Ren I could only render WAVs of entire sequences or songs etc..... What am I missing here, surely you can export the tracks from the pro to the ren?
By coolderb Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:42 pm
MPCaRvER wrote:As an iMPC Pro user and an MPC Renaissance user, I was under the impression that you could transfer your projects from the iMPC Pro to the Ren.

I've made some tracks I really like on the iMPC Pro, but when I came to transfer them to the MAC for use in the Ren I could only render WAVs of entire sequences or songs etc..... What am I missing here, surely you can export the tracks from the pro to the ren?

Welcome to the Akai/Retronyms world of IOS software development. That feature existed in the original iMPC app. but didn't make it to the "Pro" app. when it was released last summer. Countless requests have been submitted to the developer, Retronyms as well as to Akai. They have also been called out on social media. Retronyms initially said that the feature wasn't ready when iMPC Pro was released but they would work quickly to restore that feature. Well, we're coming up on 9 months and they still have not made any progress. They have been busy with promoting loops and their "Wedge" interface. Akai's response is the usual "..thanks for the suggestion, we'll be happy to pass it along to the developers". They have passed it so much I'm beginning to wonder if Peyton Manning is calling the shots for Akai:)

Checkout Beathawk. It has a smooth interface, nice song mode, Audiobus AND the ability to export stems. Their developers are also much more responsive. They have already delivered several updates even though the app. was only released a few weeks ago.

By MPCaRvER Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:28 pm
Thanks man, big shame as I really love the impc pro. Even exporting stems isn't easy on it. I'll check the app you said.
By ibaxx Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:01 am
what about to make some presure on retronyms on twitter?
I got feedback for the export feature that it is marked as maybe in development que...

maybe when more people ask it will be added!
By coolderb Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:59 pm
ibaxx wrote:what about to make some presure on retronyms on twitter?
I got feedback for the export feature that it is marked as maybe in development que...

maybe when more people ask it will be added!

You can ask them on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, forums such as this or Audiobus, Akai forums, and they respond occasionally but they never give definitive answers and when they have they have not delivered. My advice would be to sit tight, checkout Beathawk, Beatmaker 2 (3 is in the works), Nanostudio, Korg Gadget, Cubasis and Auria (Auria Pro will be out soon). Those developers have solid products, provide solid updates and listen to feedback from their customers and most importantly they do not BS us.
By ibaxx Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:08 pm
I have bought cubasis, fl studio mobile, beathawk, beatmaker 2 and no one has a workflow that catched me! Only impc!

I want to chop samples in the train and sketch something! Nothing where a keyboard layout is good for!

The keyboard is at home to finish the beats!

On beathawk it sucks that you cant use audio paste!
My ipad is jailbreaked and i have figuered out to use my own sample packs like the bought one in audiocopy!
By coolderb Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:53 pm
ibaxx wrote:I have bought cubasis, fl studio mobile, beathawk, beatmaker 2 and no one has a workflow that catched me! Only impc!

I want to chop samples in the train and sketch something! Nothing where a keyboard layout is good for!

The keyboard is at home to finish the beats!

On beathawk it sucks that you cant use audio paste!
My ipad is jailbreaked and i have figuered out to use my own sample packs like the bought one in audiocopy!

You can use audiocopy/paste in Beathawk. Checkout the recently released manual, page 18: https://s3.amazonaws.com/uvi/BeatHawk/beathawk_manual.pdf

Also checkout this tutorial:
By ibaxx Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:29 pm
ok... i have tried... this button where the audio past option is hidden is really small! i think thats not hitable in train!

i have choosed a tpad have go on user library have gone into audio paste, have found a loop....

choosed it... figured out its not on a pad...

went into user library and see... i have not sorting in there when i import more!

put it on a pad and figured out: no auto chop feature... no copy function to put this sample on another pad...

did not Found the cut itself feature on one shot mode...

where is the workflow???

i think working with impc without pro is more pro like this!
By coolderb Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:11 pm
Beathawk has a different workflow than iMPC Pro, true, but I know that UVI is constantly improving it, have already put out several updates and won't abandon it anytime soon. With Retronyms I don't have that same level of confidence and consequently I'm hesitant to invest a lot of time in it because Retronyms has a history of abandoning apps. shortly after they collect your money and moving on to the next 'big thing' such as Wej:)

In any case, as long as the apps have Audiobus you can combine the best of each app. and route them individually into Cubasis or Auria.
By ibaxx Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:15 am
I think, the keyboar layout for the pitch is a joke! Why use a keyboard, when the sample on c is not in c pitch! I prefer the 16 levels on the pads!

The biggest problem on the other DAWs is that no one works like a groovebox while the ipad is perfekt for a groovebox! For recording or so on i prefer always a desktop daw!
By Thomaz Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:48 pm
I'm a long time hardware MPC user but also using some beat making apps here and there.
For me, iMPC "Pro" is one of the worst apps. The GUI screams "don't work with me!" and the FX section is implemented very poor ("duck" nonsense :Sigh: ).
I think the predecessor ( iMPC ) was more simple but way more fun.

Since two weeks I'm using Beat Hawk and I think it's great. Extremely fast workflow, not too much crap nobody needs ( at least in an app ) - and the ability to export stems is great.