Discuss Akai's iOS apps iMPC & iMPC Pro
By Andrewnow Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:45 pm
Hi all.

Loving the impc pro app. I'm quite comfortable with most of the basic functions - but as there's no MANUAL (hint, hint) it's been a case of carefully feeling my way around each part of the app by trial and error until I get the hang of it. I still find myself getting lost, accidentally deleting stuff, getting confused etc.

Could we have a MANUAL, please? A step-by step guide? Ideally broken down into the various tasks you can perform, and with a simple, overview of the entire process from loading and editing your own samples right through to making a finished track.

You're going to say "check out these videos"...the problem with videos is you can't easily find the exact info you want, like you can with a written guide. And you can't easily refer back to something....ah, you get it.

Manual? :-D
By Andrewnow Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:13 pm
That would be great! There was a guide for the original impc; it is weird that they released this new, improved, rather different app with no manual.
By ImNotDedYet Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:15 pm
Closest thing to a manual is on each screen for the MPC (main, program, mixer, song, etc.) go into the upper left hand corner where the CPU and battery meters are and click the dropdown menu. Then click the question mark/help button and you'll get an explanation of all the functionality available on the screen you're on.
By Harmoncj Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:16 am
I
Andrewnow wrote:Hi all.

Loving the impc pro app. I'm quite comfortable with most of the basic functions - but as there's no MANUAL (hint, hint) it's been a case of carefully feeling my way around each part of the app by trial and error until I get the hang of it. I still find myself getting lost, accidentally deleting stuff, getting confused etc.

same boat for me. I downloaded the app, I'm having some good jams, but I'm stumbling on the all the deeper stuff about fine tuning and editing the music.

The first major difference I noticed about the workflow of iMPC PRO is that you have to have a new program for every separate track. If you want your hi hats on separate track from bass drum and snare drum, now you have three version of the same program. also kinda negates the mute group thing.
By ecamburn Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:03 pm
Brand new to impc pro. I've spent a couple of days with it so far and took some notes which are shared below. Since I'm so new to the app, there may be some things that aren't totally correct. :) Any corrections are welcome.

Building blocks

*Projects-overall project file

*Programs-essentially an impc pro patch containing samples, sequences and settings

*Sequences-Kind of like a meta pattern or meta clip. Sequences are like Ableton Live scenes. When you trigger a sequence you are simultaneously triggering the MIDI clips associated with the sequence for all tracks.

Random stuff

*You have to load a sample onto a pad before you can edit it

*File and folder management in ifunbox can be a powerful workflow enhancement. BUT – folders under AKAI SOUNDS are treated differently than USER folders. Specifically I renamed a folder in AKAI SOUNDS. It created a copy of the folder (Great!) that can not be deleted in ifunbox (Not great!). USER folders under MY SOUNDS can be renamed and new folders aren’t created. So it’s best to rename those as needed. There is a place to store samples with a particular project in impc pro, but that folder didn’t appear in ifunbox. Some further exploration is needed.

*sequences contain data for all tracks.
File Management

*Delete program- swipe left

*Save program-open program then hit save. Make sure to delete the word copy at end of file name

*Delete sample-long press, drag to trash

*Move sample to different folder- first load sample on to pad, then EDIT SOUND then use "Sound Bank:" button at upper right to change folder location

*Rename sample. Click on sample name when in edit mode.

*Import sample from audioshare-Copy audio in Audioshare (obviously). In impc pro, Program tab + SOUNDS button, click AUDIOPASTE, then paste audio

*New Sound button. Don't be fooled by the name. This is not where you bring in *any* new sounds, just new sounds from the recorder. A better name for the button would be "Recorder" IMO. ;-)

Sequencing Workflow

1. Import audio samples. Cut samples in AudioShare. Copy sample in AudioShare. In impc pro - Go to Program tab with SOUNDS button selected. Click AUDIOPASTE. Sample is pasted into PASTED AUDIO BANK folder. Rename and move as desired.

2. Load samples on pads.

3. Sequence samples. Need to confirm this but very roughly. In impc pro “sequences” are like Ableton Live Scenes. The "Timeline" tab is like a MIDI editor where you create and edit a track's clip within a scene. You can either record sequences by playing the pads or you can click in the MIDI data. The "Song" tab has two purposes: 1) to set the characteristics of a sequence like bpm, time sig, length (SEQUENCES button at bottom right), and 2) to arrange sequences (ARRANGEMENT button at bottom right).

4. Export audio. You can export audio via audiocopy for sequences and songs. To export stems solo tracks then export.

Note editing in Timeline tab.

It’s very deep, but you need to learn the gestures. Click to enter a note. Change length: Hold down with left hand, note turns yellow, drag to right with right hand. When a note is blue you can move it around. Also when a note is blue it has corner handles that can be used to select adjacent notes. When multiple notes are selected you can operate en masse – change lengths of all selected notes, and move all selected notes around. Brilliant!
By Yvette Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:34 am
I would love to recommend this to some of my clients who like to make beats on the move, but I've had it for over 6 months and still don't feel like I know enough to help anyone out with it. It is surprising, and disappointing that there is no manual for this app. It doesn't make any sense why there wouldn't be some kind of manual. A friend of mine who thought about purchasing this app was disappointed after watching the You Tube videos and felt like there was a lot of info available but still a lot missing. Will there ever be a manual for this app? Without it, i have to say it won't get the traction it could and people will lose faith in future apps from you all.
By Lampdog Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm
@Yvette, I highly suggest looking into Beatmaker 2. 3 will probably show up next year I'm guessing from all the buzz going on. Check out the Tablet Apps thread link below.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=162043
By MPC-Tutor Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:25 pm
Yvette wrote: Will there ever be a manual for this app? Without it, i have to say it won't get the traction it could and people will lose faith in future apps from you all.

This forum isn't run by Akai, just MPC end users, so we don't know whether or not they will make a manual. My guess is that they won't, I don't think Akai actually have anything to do with iMPC pro, Retronyms are calling all the shots.
By Deathkeepscalling Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:14 am
ImNotDedYet wrote:Closest thing to a manual is on each screen for the MPC (main, program, mixer, song, etc.) go into the upper left hand corner where the CPU and battery meters are and click the dropdown menu. Then click the question mark/help button and you'll get an explanation of all the functionality available on the screen you're on.

This was the best help ever!
Thank you.
I've never used any Akai products until IMPC on the iPhone. It's been trail and error and I still have trouble with some stuff, but I'm about to try to move on the to 2000. I can't wait to purchase one!
:WTF: thanks for the tip tho!
By Lampdog Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:07 pm
Deathkeepscalling wrote:
Lampdog wrote:@Yvette, I highly suggest looking into Beatmaker 2. 3 will probably show up next year I'm guessing from all the buzz going on. Check out the Tablet Apps thread link below.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=162043

This should be the best help ever!
By coolderb Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:35 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Yvette wrote: Will there ever be a manual for this app? Without it, i have to say it won't get the traction it could and people will lose faith in future apps from you all.

This forum isn't run by Akai, just MPC end users, so we don't know whether or not they will make a manual. My guess is that they won't, I don't think Akai actually have anything to do with iMPC pro, Retronyms are calling all the shots.

Akai hired Retronyms to develop and maintain iMPC and iMPC Pro. The original was released 4 years ago. They never bothered to develop a manual, just some online videos and 'tips'. http://www.akaipro.com/product/impc-pro