Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By Star One Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:07 pm
NigelWindman wrote:
StarOne wrote:Showed to all the other Selectas I get down with, there loving this!

There not on the forum, but I will pass any words along here =)

Thanks alot man

I checked out some of your tunes on soundcloud - good shit! :D
What do you make them on?

All those old alternative b-side joints hehe! Should hear em with my foul mouth goin off on them xD

Some were done with s3000xl, MV8000 and 2000XL different combinations.

And they all were really vibing to this video (: so big up from them lot. Gunna check out the rest of your videos.
By NigelWindman Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:08 pm
Cool man I'd be well up for hearing them with lyrics over the top.

My other videos are a bit whack because I1ve only been playing the MPC since end of feb/early march this year but you can definitely see a progression :D I got a few more tunes I'm working on at the moment so hopefully I can finish them and get them filmed when I get back from Spain

Nice mate I'm really pleased you guys were liking the vid
By theanimalpilk Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:29 pm
NigelWindman wrote:I will DEFINITELY put some tutorial videos together in the future, but I am about to leave for Spain until some time in November and I won't be taking my MPC with me (unfortunately)

But start simple, it takes time and practice until you can start to get a bit more technical.

Start learning basic finger drumming (for a simple hip hop beat I usually have a kick on pad 2, a closed hihat on pad 3, and a snare on pad 7, but put them wherever feels more comfortable/natural. The Ren and Studio come with lots of cool drum samples). Jeremy Ellis has some good beginner finger drumming lessons on Youtube.

I often put bass notes on the top row of pads
Do you know how to use vst plugins in the MPC software? (e.g. The Bank etc.)
You can make bass notes through a vst by programming in a long note (eg. 4bars or more), then export as a WAV or MP3, then you drag that sound file into the software and put it on one of the pads. If you switch it from 'One Shot' to 'Note On' in the Program menu (located in the Lfo Mod tab of the blue MPC screen, or under Pad Play Modes in the computer software) it will only play for as long as you hold it down.

Now you can try dropping really simple one-note/two-note basslines over a beat. My tip is to start ultra simple and just drop one bass note at the sametime as the first kick-drum in your simplebeat. It's tricky to get both hands working at the same time at first but gets loads easier after a while.

I hope this will help you get started and sorry I couldn't post a vid explaining it just yet but I really don't have the time right now. If there is anything on here you don't understand just let me know. (And anything else you want to know I'll do my best to explain)

sorry man new to the site today and I've only just seen this now somehow.Thanks for the advice tho and nice drumming keep going man !