Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By Meezy Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:11 pm
Hello :D

My band at the moment consists of a DJ, Bass, Trumpet, Percussion and Vocals. The DJ plays stripped back versions of tracks that I have produced in Logic Pro and we all fill in the missing parts live.
Our DJ is leaving us soon and instead of replacing him I would like to be triggering bits on the fly so that we can jam parts out or end them early if we want to. I have a G4 ibook with an mbox 2 running Logic, Aleton Live and Guru as well as plenty of other stuff. I also have a Roland Handsonic and a Zendrum.
My plan is to either buy an MPC 1000 and chop up my tracks into 8 or 16 bar loops or buy an Akai MPD24 midi conroller and use it to trigger Guru or Live.

I like the idea of a stand alone Akai MPC1000 so that I don't need to mess around with my laptop, mbox, controller and software as well as my congas, and other percussion on stage. I was thinking, however, that since I already have all this equipment would the Akai MPC be a waist of money? I could do the same job with the MPD24 controlling GURU i think?

What do you guys think would be my best option?

Thanks,
Meezy