Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By Lozzkit Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:08 pm
My first post on the site that helped me make the right decision and buy an MPC-1K I love it! I love being able to get home, turn it on and wack out some beats withou messing around setting up or sitting infront of a computer (where i spend ALL day).

I bought it specifically for live performance. I want to DJ, not with Records but by firing off loops- I thought the AKAI would be perfect for this. I assumed functionality I cant seem to find.

Basically i expected to be able to assign a sample/ to a pad, with loop points- all good so far, how ever the problem is I expected to be able start and stop loops by hitting the assigned pad, like a switch:

First tap starts the loop, loop plays untill
2nd tap, which stops playing that particular sample.

The MPC Doesnt seem to give me an option to do this. I have to set the pad to NOTE ON to make the sample loop, but then I have to hold the pad down! :(

Can you help me? IS there another way I can do this?

Should I be putting the recorded samples into a sequence/track and can I assign the sequence/track to a pad- i havent been able to work out if this can be done.

Help Appreciated, look forward to contributing loads to these forums.

Lozz.

Byharlej Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:34 pm
Why not have a loop assigned to pad 1 and then have pad 2 (with no sample in it) mute the pad 1. That way you can start loop in MONO mode from pad 1 and stop it with pad 2. You will have to give up some pads just for stopping the loops, but at least there is a way to do it : )
Just an idea, that's how I would do this in my 2kxl. Perhaps mpc1000 has some more features for it.

By elektrik_muz Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:04 pm
No, the MPC is not a sample looper. Never was.

If you choose the POLY option and set the looped samples to NOTE ON mode, there are ways to mess with the interface to get the machine to drop the NOTE OFF message and cause the sample to loop indefinitely until the assigned pad is pressed again -- but it's a hack method and a bit clumsy. Here's a thread covering different ways of doing this:

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

You might be better off to figure out the right time-spacing of the loops so you can just place looped triggers in the sequencer and use TRACK MUTE mode (though TRACK MUTE implementation varies between different OS versions and may or may not be suitable for this purpose).

By t_bias Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:24 am
elektrik_muz wrote:You might be better off to figure out the right time-spacing of the loops so you can just place looped triggers in the sequencer and use TRACK MUTE mode (though TRACK MUTE implementation varies between different OS versions and may or may not be suitable for this purpose).

yeah dude, use the sequencer - that's what it's for.

plus you could make patched phrase out of your loops and then you could
move between tempos a little without things going out of time.

definitely get onto that sequencer though! it'll keep you more solid than just
tapping pads on the fly.

good luck! :)

By RexRhino Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:52 am
elektrik_muz wrote:No, the MPC is not a sample looper. Never was.

If you choose the POLY option and set the looped samples to NOTE ON mode, there are ways to mess with the interface to get the machine to drop the NOTE OFF message and cause the sample to loop indefinitely until the assigned pad is pressed again -- but it's a hack method and a bit clumsy. Here's a thread covering different ways of doing this:

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

You might be better off to figure out the right time-spacing of the loops so you can just place looped triggers in the sequencer and use TRACK MUTE mode (though TRACK MUTE implementation varies between different OS versions and may or may not be suitable for this purpose).

I would say that the track mute method is better than any other work around I have seen. It might even be superior to just triggering the samples on and off looped, because the loop will always be in time. Even if he gets a sample to loop properly, during live performance it is easy to hit an off note.