MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Airyck Thu May 02, 2013 3:28 pm
I think it would be a great idea to take better advantage of the 16 Qlinks in step sequencer mode.

Lets say I program a bongo sample in step sequencer mode. Now in the software I can use the automation lane to adjust the Tune (as one example) of each step to make a couple different tuned bongos out of that one sample. The problem with this is that I have to draw it in with the pencil tool, or play it and try to overdub it using live recorded automation which is not very precise....

Here's where the 16 qlinks could come in.
You could assign the qlinks to control the tuning (or other parameter) of each step.
Each qlink would adjust the selected parameter at it's current step for each step according to the T.C. setting. This would allow for intricate programmed drums and I think it fits the way everything is set up perfectly.

What do you guys think?

Has anything like this been done on previous MPC's? I hope so because that would give it a better chance of getting added in.

Think of KORG MS2000 step sequencer which allowed you to set various parameters like the filter cutoff position at each step.
By Coz Thu May 02, 2013 3:37 pm
Airyck wrote:Has anything like this been done on previous MPC's? I hope so because that would give it a better chance of getting added in.

The MPC4000 has a Q-link Sequencer, which is probably the closest legacy MPC feature that you're looking for.

By Airyck Thu May 02, 2013 3:46 pm
Coz wrote:
Airyck wrote:Has anything like this been done on previous MPC's? I hope so because that would give it a better chance of getting added in.

The MPC4000 has a Q-link Sequencer, which is probably the closest legacy MPC feature that you're looking for.

Awsome, thats what I'm talking about! So yes, that, but with the ability to assign it to any parameter that can be automated.
By labcoats Mon May 06, 2013 8:14 pm
When I first saw an image of the Ren I thought the Q link knobs would do exactly as you want - aka MPC4000. Of course they dont, they seem to be more for window dressing right now. I await 1.4 to see what developments there have been.

Its features like this :nod: the Ren needs.
So YES.
By Airyck Tue May 07, 2013 2:53 pm
I agree. This type of feature is just smart with 16 qlinks and would really make the workflow stand out from anything else. It's almost like they though about doing it but just haven't yet, like it was made for this
By Ian Canefire Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm
I am trying to figure out how to get my Z4's qlinks to work in addition to my 4000's qlinks to toggle these parameters. So that I would have ten covered.

The pic above has it in slider mode and it can also be in knob mode.

Truth is I have not had a need to use this yet but I am just experimenting with the ability. The 4000 has so much functionality that I barely use.

Do you guys use this a lot?

I remember reading in the sound on Sound review of the MPC4000 that the reviewer thought that it needed more knobs and sliders. Now you RENN guys have all the knobs you need.

Cheers,
ian
By Airyck Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm
This should honestly just be an addition to the step sequencer mode. You select a parameter while in step sequencer mode and then adjust that parameter at each step with the Q links according to the TC setting
By callofthevoid Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:10 pm
They should add step automation/parameter locks for sure.

That, Scenes and trig conditions/step probability are the areas where Elektron are still killing the new Akai boxes. Looks like Akai could add all those things if they wanted to tho and nail it... I saw in a video today that you can use the pads to program steps in the step sequencer mode. So it shouldn't be that hard to implement p-locks...

Pre-ordered a Live on the strength of what it already is said to do, wouldn't complain if they added this stuff too tho ;)