MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Fanu Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:49 pm
I hope Akai people are reading this forum now that they're surely working on 2.0.
I'd highly advise you to fix PDC for 2.0 and not release it until PDC is done.

An example of real-life grief.

Today, I'm working on a beat with the Touch.
I'm syncing it with my SP 1200 as I did the beat track with it and all the other stuff with the Touch.

All is good and enjoyable…I'm doing bass and samples with the Touch…nicely on time with the SP…and I really enjoy the quick workflow and realize how nicely this work…getting best of both worlds…until you add a plugin or two.
Add a limiter on the master…and there it is. F*cks up the whole thing.
SP 1200 is soon off beat, because MPC doesn't compensate for the delay caused by the limiter on the master, causing audio to lag behind.

And you don't even need to mess with external gear for this to happen; just have a kick track and a snare track, and put some plugins on the kick track, and soon it's off time with the snare.

This is a massive, massive pain and killjoy…and we're talking about something that should be "the center of your studio".

I know this won't affect future standalone users, but there'll be tons of guys using 2.0, too.
Software users want to use plugins, but if plugins cause this much trouble…

PLEASE FIX PDC!
By Coz Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:19 pm
Someone from Akai (I think it was Pete Goodliffe) made a post a while back stating that PDC was difficult to fix in the MPC.

I don't know if anything has changed since then. :popcorn:
By Fanu Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:41 pm
Coz wrote:Someone from Akai (I think it was Pete Goodliffe) made a post a while back stating that PDC was difficult to fix in the MPC.

I don't know if anything has changed since then. :popcorn:

I'm sure it's no walk in the park.
However, if 2.0 was made from the ground up as they say, you'd think that'd be one of their main areas of improvement.
By Coz Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:06 pm
I'm paraphrasing, but I seem to recall him saying that plugins all report different amounts of latency, and trying to balance these out causes major issues for the MPC sequencer.

I'd ask him personally if you can.
By Fanu Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:12 pm
Coz wrote:I'm paraphrasing, but I seem to recall him saying that plugins all report different amounts of latency, and trying to balance these out causes major issues for the MPC sequencer.

I'd ask him personally if you can.

It's been fixed in all DAWs (afaik), so it's not impossible.
By Fanu Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:14 pm
Spoff77 wrote:They really need to fix this - a glaring omission.

It is a disgrace.
We've had this problem since Ren 1.0 – and that was some time ago!

And this is definitely a major bug and not acceptable at this point.
Akai have been aware of this for a long time; they're coming out with a brand new 2.0 with cool new features…but the software and its lack of PDC is just a huge middle finger to those willing to use 3rd party plugins.
They've opened up the system to 3rd party plugins a long time ago, but this major flaw has still not been fixed.

Honestly, I'm surprised how there hasn't been much noise about here since the inception of 1.0.
By willisill Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:56 pm
I'm with ya, bro. I backed out of my order, and this is one of the major reasons (sidechain and portamento being the others). Standalone is nice, but considering I'm going to do 90% of the work I need to in a better DAW, I can't justify dropping 1k or 2k on the new MPCs. It becomes a very very expensive groovebox for all those limitations. They're gonna need to fix 2/3 of my issues before I even consider it again. I really was getting annoyed at Pete ignoring the questions that are super important to people who want to go beyond chopping a sample and adding drums. And considering none of these things has been addressed and we're still getting dates pushed back, it's not looking good imo. Good luck.
By Fanu Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:54 am
willisill wrote:I'm with ya, bro. I backed out of my order, and this is one of the major reasons (sidechain and portamento being the others). Standalone is nice, but considering I'm going to do 90% of the work I need to in a better DAW, I can't justify dropping 1k or 2k on the new MPCs. It becomes a very very expensive groovebox for all those limitations. They're gonna need to fix 2/3 of my issues before I even consider it again. I really was getting annoyed at Pete ignoring the questions that are super important to people who want to go beyond chopping a sample and adding drums. And considering none of these things has been addressed and we're still getting dates pushed back, it's not looking good imo. Good luck.

Hear ya man. Yeah, building a standalone is a major move for sure, but I'd hold software importance on equal standing here, especially as it's been out for a while. It's just not a good look to say "We've completely rebuilt the software for the new version" and still ignore a major, major feature/bug…this is not a "nice to have" feature…this is a complete showstopper for those using 3rd party plugins…which is extremely common in this day and age.
And with Akai, you know they may not like to reply you to you regarding it so you may never get info on when it's coming.
By Mono-Amine Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:31 pm
Yes, PDC is very important for me aswell, not having this and having to compensate manually is a huge workflowkiller. Really hope they get it right on release. Also because bouncing to audiotracks wont be very usable if the stemms are off
By Wormhelmet Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:37 pm
PDC has been implemented in many DAW's for a long time now. Mybe that's what sparked the idea for a standalone.

Akai - "Look, can you developers put this PDC in or not? We are trying to make 2.0 a full DAW"

Developers - "Doesn't look to be possible. Why not just build a standalone that doesn't support 3rd party plugins. Then we can stop scratching our heads on how to implement PDC"

Akai - "Great idea!"