MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 03, 2017 1:30 pm
Sorry to keep on about the new browser, but the implementation here is so half hearted considering this is the 'v2' browser and this was highlighted 18 months ago as one of the big updates. As far as I can tell, the media browser only searches installed sample expansion packs, there's no way to add a 'user library'. So if you have a folder/drive dedicated to storing kits, libraries and projects etc, there's no way to add this location to the media library index.

Isn't that the whole point of the media library, to act as a searchable central hub for ALL your content, not just the expansion packs? Surely people just want to look for a specific instrument/sound type using either tags or search terms and 'bang', everything relevant across all your media locations is listed in the browser.

Again, the Maschine browser just does this perfectly, Akai just need to copy this and be done with it. I can't believe after all this time they are still dicking about with a poorly implemented Browser.
By Fanu Wed May 03, 2017 1:52 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Sorry to keep on about the new browser, but the implementation here is so half hearted considering this is the 'v2' browser and this was highlighted 18 months ago as one of the big updates. As far as I can tell, the media browser only searches installed sample expansion packs, there's no way to add a 'user library'. So if you have a folder/drive dedicated to storing kits, libraries and projects etc, there's no way to add this location to the media library index.

Isn't that the whole point of the media library, to act as a searchable central hub for ALL your content, not just the expansion packs? Surely people just want to look for a specific instrument/sound type using either tags or search terms and 'bang', everything relevant across all your media locations is listed in the browser.

Again, the Maschine browser just does this perfectly, Akai just need to copy this and be done with it. I can't believe after all this time they are still dicking about with a poorly implemented Browser.

Yes you can browse your folders.
Just make sure to hit Places (not Content) on top left, then click on your folders 1–5 on top right.
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 03, 2017 2:48 pm
Fanu wrote:Yes you can browse your folders.
Just make sure to hit Places (not Content) on top left, then click on your folders 1–5 on top right.

Yes, you can browse and search specific folders in the standard file browser, but you have to manually navigate to each specific location each time and the search is limited to that one particular folder - tagging not supported either.

I'm talking about the separate Media Browser, which is (or should be) a centralised search and tagging system that let's you just enter a single search term or tag which then searches your entire 'library' - i.e. it searches every expansion and every folder in your user library and returns all results. This isn't just limited to searching a single folder like the file browser, it's going to search EVERYTHING to bring up files relevant to your search. So if you've set your D drive as the location of your main user library, then a search for 'hi hat' should give you every sample containing the term 'hi hat' both in your expansions and in your D drive.

I fail to see the benefit of the Media Browser if it can only search installed sample expansions, it also needs to be able to simultaneously search all your own kits and project folders for matches, and it needs to let you tag your own kits and samples as well. The Maschine browser has done this for years. It's an incredibly efficient way of indexing all your sounds and programs in one place.

I'm pretty sure when Dan talked about the 'new browser' 18 months ago this was what was being insinuated. It just seems like the 'media browser' aspect of the new browser just wasn't thought through properly, cobbled together along the way, which is what many of the 1.x features always felt like.
By josker Wed May 03, 2017 6:41 pm
Could someone help me with a simple question:

Can I use a CC sent from an external controller (Not the MPC) to control e.g. the cutoff of a single sample within a MPC program?

I can get, say, CC 14 to be recorded in MPC 2.0 but I can't for the life of me figure out how to map this to something like the cutoff of a pad.

I mean, you have the LEARN button next to the pad scene Q-link menu, but doing that and wiggling the external controller does nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated – this would be pretty important for what I'm planning to use it for.

Thanks!
By sbtst6 Wed May 03, 2017 7:11 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Fanu wrote:I realized there's one thing I can only do from software: edit automation. E.g., filter cutoff. Easy to locate and edit in software.
But where do you see and edit it in hardware? (I know this is a software topic, but I guess it's kind of related)

I don't think you can, you couldn't in 1.9 either. I think this is another area that has seen no change/improvement. No modifier lane in hardware GUI (only velocity), no standalone list editor (i.e. step edit) - a standalone MPC with no 'step edit' isn't really an MPC IMO, I don't want to edit all event info visually, the UI just isn't accurate enough).

TBH this was the kind of thing I expected them to be working on alongside the 'headline' features like audio tracks and warping.

Just browsing the forum to see all 2.0 has to offer, and the step edit was one of my main problems with the MPC Touch! Couldnt agree more, editing via the touch screen was very inaccurate and just annoying! I got frustrated with the Touch and got me a used mpc studio black just so i can get my step edit work flow back. Seem like the touch screen was more of a hassle workflow wise, verses dedicated buttons.
By zangetsu01 Wed May 03, 2017 9:21 pm
sbtst6 wrote:Just browsing the forum to see all 2.0 has to offer, and the step edit was one of my main problems with the MPC Touch! Couldnt agree more, editing via the touch screen was very inaccurate and just annoying! I got frustrated with the Touch and got me a used mpc studio black just so i can get my step edit work flow back. Seem like the touch screen was more of a hassle workflow wise, verses dedicated buttons.

The touchscreen on the new MPC's is just like an IPad. It's super fluid. This how the MPC Touch should have been.
By Glm Thu May 04, 2017 6:54 pm
Been playing around a bit with the browser.
You can add your own samples to the content browser, (but nog tag them), when you create the folder structure that is created when installing the 2.0 content upgrade.
So when you touch the clips button, you can see your own clip programs in the list.
You can kind of create your favourites library easy accessible from your touch screen.
Don't know how to do this from pc and havent tested this before i did the content upgrade but i assume when you get the file structure right, this should work.

Let me know if this works please!

Another quick tip: When working with audio tracks you can stretch the track by grabbing the end/beginning and hold Cmd, so you can align the bpm with the grid.

On mac create a folder exactly as below in (not user Libray) in:

For Clips Library/Application Support/Akai/Mpc/Content/com.akaipro.mpc.expansion.clips
For samples Library/Application Support/Akai/Mpc/Content/com.akaipro.mpc.expansion.vault2
For Drum Programs Library/Application Support/Akai/Mpc/Content/com.akaipro.mpc.expansion.vault2
For Instuments Library/Application Support/Akai/Mpc/Content/com.akaipro.mpc.expansion.instruments2
For Demos (or your own projects) Library/ApplicationSupport/Akai/Mpc/Content/com.akaipro.mpc.expansion.demos2
By MPC-Tutor Thu May 04, 2017 7:58 pm
Thank you for that! I was also experimenting today, basically anything in the Library/Application Support/Akai/Mpc/Content/ folder is added to the content browser. To tag files you need to name all the files with a hyphen separator, e.g. Acoustic-HiHat-hat234.wav will show up for 'Acoustic' and HiHat' tags. I'll experiment further with this...

Glm wrote:Been playing around a bit with the browser.
You can add your own samples to the content browser, (but nog tag them), when you create the folder structure that is created when installing the 2.0 content upgrade.
So when you touch the clips button, you can see your own clip programs in the list.
You can kind of create your favourites library easy accessible from your touch screen.
Don't know how to do this from pc and havent tested this before i did the content upgrade but i assume when you get the file structure right, this should work.

Let me know if this works please!

Another quick tip: When working with audio tracks you can stretch the track by grabbing the end/beginning and hold Cmd, so you can align the bpm with the grid.

On mac create a folder exactly as below in (not user Libray) in:

For Clips Library/Application Support/Akai/Mpc/Content/com.akaipro.mpc.expansion.clips
For samples Library/Application Support/Akai/Mpc/Content/com.akaipro.mpc.expansion.vault2
For Drum Programs Library/Application Support/Akai/Mpc/Content/com.akaipro.mpc.expansion.vault2
For Instuments Library/Application Support/Akai/Mpc/Content/com.akaipro.mpc.expansion.instruments2
For Demos (or your own projects) Library/ApplicationSupport/Akai/Mpc/Content/com.akaipro.mpc.expansion.demos2
By Glm Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 pm
MPC-Tutor: Nice one, thanks!
Didn't know that.
Will also experiment with that.

Kind of new here, bought my first mpc half a year ago and been lurking a long time, learned a lot from you guys! :worthy:

One question though:
Is there a way to subscribe to this and other topics?