MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By intellectronik Sat May 27, 2017 4:32 pm
If I missed this from another thread (although I did try to search but didn't quite find the topic / issue discussed that I'm trying to wrap my head around so) my apologies in-advance.

TL;DR version - Is it possible to assign my own samples (not having to create expansion packs) to pads and then saving / exporting the created program files (or whatever they're called now) as well as sequences, etc.? (I used to use programs such as Bluebox and MPC Editor on a PC to accomplish the creation of programs using my own samples I could previously copy onto a Compact Flash card and use on the MPC1000 / 2500 series.)

Additionally, is it possible to use said software (without having the MPC Live turned-on / connected) and still create full programs, sequences, etc. and then export or copy them locally to the MPC Live? (I suppose this is bordering-on the thought of the MPC Software acting as it's own DAW, except in this case specific to the MPC Live / X series.)

DISCLOSURE:
Aside from being a previous lurker on these forums, I'm a new MPC Live / 2.0 Software user (coming from the 2000XL, 2500 and 1000.) Short-of purchasing the MPC Touch Bible, I'm just trying to understand the basics on how to use the built-in file browser to accomplish what I thought was a simple task. From what I'm reading in other threads I scoured (and hopefully understood properly) the built-in file browser on the 2.0 [Beta] Software (still essentially 1.9.x) is really only intended for browsing Expansion Pack(s) and the like, NOT my own locally-house sample libraries, sounds, etc.

It's mind-blowing that Akai couldn't make something the most simple of software can do (i.e. Sound Forge, Wavelab, Peak - as a former Mac user) is either not possible, or the process is extremely convoluted (and/or the learning curve is just more than I what I had anticipated.) /rant

If anyone would be so-kind as to point to some tutorials (free and/or paid) that will help me get up-to-speed, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
By MPC-Tutor Sat May 27, 2017 5:16 pm
The built in file browser can be used to browse your own library no problem - i.e. navigate to a specific folder and manually go through each folder. the complaint is that the new 'media browser' can only work with installed expansions, there's no way to add custom user libraries to it.

So for example you can't look for all open hats within your entire system, only those in your expansions. You might have 30gb of hi hats on an external drive and the media browser will not know about them. And if they are scattered across multiple folders the file browser will make it laborious to find them. A tagged media library to which you can add unlimited custom locations, like maschine, solves this problem.

As for building and exporting programs, this can be done in the mpc software, in the hardware or computer. Quicker in the computer though.
By intellectronik Sat May 27, 2017 5:58 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:The built in file browser can be used to browse your own library no problem - i.e. navigate to a specific folder and manually go through each folder. the complaint is that the new 'media browser' can only work with installed expansions, there's no way to add custom user libraries to it.

So for example you can't look for all open hats within your entire system, only those in your expansions. You might have 30gb of hi hats on an external drive and the media browser will not know about them. And if they are scattered across multiple folders the file browser will make it laborious to find them. A tagged media library to which you can add unlimited custom locations, like maschine, solves this problem.

As for building and exporting programs, this can be done in the mpc software, in the hardware or computer. Quicker in the computer though.

DISREGARD - finally found a semi-helpful manual in the software which helped with understanding what you were explaining above in-regards to the expansion media / file browser - my apologies!

Now I just have one other question - how do I map a path to one of the 5 folders as seen in the screenshot below:

Just to clarify - All of this can be done without having the MPC Live attached, correct? (Eventually I'd just like to copy the samples, programs, sequences, etc. to a thumb drive or SD card and load them into the MPC Live.)

Lastly, I was considering purchasing your MPC Touch bible, but wasn't sure if it went in-depth into these topics in particular, and was wondering if I should I wait until you have a guide specifically for MPC Live and/or X which also covers the 2.0 Software? As-of right now would you say the differences between the latest 1.9.6 and this 2.0 Beta are too vast?

Thanks again for the reply MPC-Tutor!
By MPC-Tutor Sun May 28, 2017 9:08 am
Navigate to the location you want to bookmark. In your computer hold down shift and click on the shortcut folder number you want to assign to this location.

You can do everything in the computer, the live doesn't need to be attached.

I cover all this early on in the book, I then move on to teaching you how to use mpc software to actually make music, practical beat making projects that simultaneously teach you the ins and outs of the mpc software.

Im currently finishing off a book specifically for 2.0, will be out soon.