MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By akom-studio.com Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:20 pm
Hey,

had to return my MPC Live for service because of a bad headphone out (meh..). Anyhow, currently using my Akai MKP mini controller with the MPC 2.0 software.

When I hit the PAD1, it actually triggers A02 in the software. And it goes on like
PAD2 --> A01
PAD3 --> A06
PAD4 --> B16
PAD5 --> A05
PAD6 --> C15

When looking at the onscreen midi keyboard, the pads trigger the correct notes (starting from C1 upwards).

My question therefore is - is this some 'feature' that I just don't understand, or is this an error? Btw, I downloaded a free MPC kit and here pad assignment is just fine.

Or - is that really the classic MPC note assignment as it indicates in the Note Mapping menu?

Anyhow, if I manually change the note mapping to my desired behaviour, it will be reset to that weird mapping after restart.

To make it short - is there any option to save the desired mapping?

Thanks and best regards,
Sven
By akom-studio.com Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:02 am
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, found this one - but hence you cannot change your default settings but instead have to individually adjust (and then save it in the program) each time I guess.

Just got my MPC back :-D and now 1st time noticed that the default mapping indeed isn't chromatic for a drum program; interesting... I am just used to have it aligned with the master keyboard, no idea why Akai has different standards, seems? Anyhow :-)

Cheers Sven
By MPC-Tutor Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:12 am
Every MPC since the MPC60 has used this custom GM layout, I'm not sure what the original reason was for this, but it's been a constant problem for people wanting to integrate external gear with the MPC.

JJOS uses chromatic by default now. I use chromatic for all my samplepacks (just load up a blank chromatic program template before building).
By akom-studio.com Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:27 am
Ah cool, thanks a lot for that explanation, really interesting! As stated somewhere before, I am new to the MPC world, so lots of stuff to explore ;-)

Haha ok, thats exactly my approach currently also - saved a programm with the desired mapping and using it as a template.

Probably they still should add a feature to save a custom midi mapping. I think I'll checkout how to submit feedback to them ;-)

Thanks again!
By austrui Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:06 am
I am very very new to MPC world with my new purchased MPK Mini... and this is the first ISSUE I found. Thanks to all people commenting in this forum! I find it really hard to believe that the Pads shown in the Software are not 'corresponding' exactly with the ones in the MPK Mini.