MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By GedaBlaq Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm
There, I said it... and if Akai's history of legacy product support is any indication... with very good reason.

I won't go into the other "flagship" products that were unceremoniously dropped related to updates and support because that horse is long dead.

Instead, I'll point out a few things and let you be the judge while I await your comments... good, bad or indifferent.

Before I begin, let me send MAD PROPS to Tutor, Hellfire, Masada, and countless other beta testers of the new MPC 2.0 Software, Live and X. Because of you guys, when I am finally able to afford one of the new standalone machines, I'll be able to make my purchase with confidence knowing that you guys have raised all the BS flags and held AKAI accountable for working out the majority of the kinks.

OK:

AKAI/ NUKAI whatever... invented the Ren, Studio and the original MPC software, as well as 2.0.

a. I assume that since this is the case, in-house programmers wrote the code for the software, as well the drivers for the Ren-Studio hardware/ software firmware interface.

b. Even though I understand that the 2.0 software has been "rebuilt from the ground up" to include sorely needed and much requested features such as Audio Tracks and a completely new mixer section (THANK YOU AKAI), it is still based off of the original MPC software code and interface.
So why is it so difficult and taking so long to "work out the bugs" between 2.0 and Ren/Studio?

c. Let's keep it real.
AKAI never got the REN/ Studio and software quite right in the first place, so why would they reopen an outdated can of worms that's not making them any money? From a sheer business perspective, that's completely ludicrous.
In order to keep the "iconic" thing going, it makes much more sense to completely abandon failed ventures which you're really not experienced with and stick with what you know, which is standalone hardware, i.e. Rhythm Wolf, Tom Cat and Timbre Wolf.

d. Based upon the introduction of the afore mentioned standalone units and in conjunction with the almost dead halt of sales and demand for Ren/ Studios, in my opinion, this was all a steady and purposeful march toward standalone products and away from troublesome software/ hardware hybrids, which were basically R&D money pits FOR AKAI.

Now... Before a debate begins concerning the viability of hybrid products, i.e., Ren/ Studio vs. Maschine, just based upon years in the game alone, AKAI can't hold a candle to Native Instruments in terms of software development experience. Therefore, for NI to develop a pretty damn good controller for their software was a logical and inevitable next step.

d. Lastly, AKAI has a lot of money tied up into the R&D, production, marketing and launch of 2.0, LIVE & X.
So then why would they slow the return of their money by investing further R&D into 5 year old legacy products who's sales and demand have fallen off a cliff? It just doesn't make any financial and business sense.
Again, if AKAI's history of withdrawal of support for legacy products who's sales have dramatically decreased is any indication as to whether or not 2.0 will be released for the Ren/ Studio, I for one, have chosen to no longer hold my breath and am currently doing my best to save up to buy the LIVE.

In closing, I hope that I am SO wrong.
I still have my originally $1,300 Ren and intend to keep it and would really love to be able to use 2.0 with it.
However, even if I'm right, I guess I can't really be too mad at AKAI because after all... It's just business.

Thoughts?
By DJ A-Sharp Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 pm
IMO

I totally agree with you. I too stopped holding my breath for 2.0 for the ren/studio, and I own both. Correct me if I'm wrong but with all the versions of NI's mashine controller, can't you use all the versions of the mashine hardware with the software. Don't have a mashine so I might be wrong on that. I find it foul that Akai comes out with a controller (ren/studio) then just abandons it when they decide it's time to add all these improvements, without even giving us an option to have 2.0. They could have given 2.0 to us ren/studio users and say "use at you own risk." Imagine how much ahead of the market they would be if they skipped the ren and studio, took their time and came out with hardware hybrids like they have done with the X and Live.

The biggest gripe for me is just make an announcement that after careful consideration you have decided to no longer support the ren and studio and stop teasing those who aren't in a position financially, to buy your new products.

But for me there is a silver lining, I absolutely HATE the way the 2.0 looks on computer screen and on the hardware and after being an MPC user since the MPC2000 I'm sorry AKAI, I'm too use to my ancient blue screen layout. There is place for everything and everything in its place and on the blue screen I can find it no problem.

Again just my opinion......

BTW is AKAI even supporting The Touch anymore? A friend of mine has the Touch and hasn't received a 2.0 update since the initial software release. I notice how all the updates now say "2.0 updates for the X and Live?" Touch users, seem like your days are numbered as well...... #somethingtothinkabout
Last edited by DJ A-Sharp on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Living Bate Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:29 am
i'd just really appreciate one blue screen supported 2.0 release....

after that they can do 2.1 or 3.0 or 4 or whatever they want and just support the new breed.....but i think they owe it to Renaissance & Studio owners to at least honour their word and develop one 2.0 release
By masada2502 Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:49 pm
What up Guys...don't worry 2.0 for legacy Ren and studio are coming...i cant say when ..but IT IS COMING!...im testing it. cant say anymore.just didnt want you guys to think yall are forgotten.peace brethren.
By Lampdog Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:59 am
Yeah cause muhfuggas worry themselves into a hole these days. Some even invent shit to worry about it even.
By DJ A-Sharp Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:15 am
masada2502 wrote:What up Guys...don't worry 2.0 for legacy Ren and studio are coming...i cant say when ..but IT IS COMING!...im testing it. cant say anymore.just didnt want you guys to think yall are forgotten.peace brethren.

Thanks Masada for enlightening/confirming for us Ren/Studio owners. Greatly appreciated. I was just about to post up a screenshot from Akai Pete’s twitter from today where he said Akai didn’t forget about us. Again, we appreciate the helpful response to our justified presumptions.

:worthy:
By cloud777 Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:44 am
masada2502 wrote:What up Guys...don't worry 2.0 for legacy Ren and studio are coming...i cant say when ..but IT IS COMING!...im testing it. cant say anymore.just didnt want you guys to think yall are forgotten.peace brethren.

Im feeling exited now :-D thanks for sharing this information Masada
By GedaBlaq Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:28 am
Before I begin, let me send MAD PROPS to Tutor, Hellfire, Masada, and countless other beta testers of the new MPC 2.0 Software, Live and X.

To Masada: As I said before. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ :worthy:

GedaBlaq wrote:There, I said it... and if Akai's history of legacy product support is any indication... with very good reason.

I won't go into the other "flagship" products that were unceremoniously dropped related to updates and support because that horse is long dead.

To LampDog: As I said before. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ :| (Respect tho)
By Lampdog Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:24 pm
GedaBlaq wrote:To LampDog: As I said before. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ :| (Respect tho)

Big respect to the testers!
By ntalec Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:37 am

No disrespect but I'm gonna call it bullsh*t until it happens.
With the track record of lies and failed promises from Akai you can't buy into anything until after it happens.

Don't misunderstand my statement.
I am sure that they have beta testers testing V2 on the blue screens but it's Akai's deployment that I lack faith in.
Just feel they are going to drag their feet then side step it's release just as they had done with other products in the past.

Would love to be proven wrong but I seriously doubt that will happen.
By Lampdog Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:51 am
ntalec wrote:Don't misunderstand my statement.
I am sure that they have beta testers testing V2 on the blue screens but it's Akai's deployment that I lack faith in

I was a tester for software before Ren came out. Testers report everything. It's on Akai to pay attention, just like you said. Many testers here, nda's enforce, can't speak on shit, I completely understand tho.
By johnblaze205 Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 am

Do you know if they are addressing the screen glitching issue on the studio black?