MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By FinoAllaFine Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:36 pm
Sorry this is quite a basic question, I couldn't find an answer through Google.

I'm thinking of buying a used license I've seen for MPC 2.51 bundled with some expansions. Is this something that's supported by Akai? Is it just a case of putting the license key into my ilok account and that's it? Does Akai support buying used licenses? Are there any other steps I have to go through?

I've bought used NI licenses before but as I couldn't find anything about buying used Akai I thought I'd ask incase I put my foot in it.

Thanks!
By MPC-Tutor Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:59 am
The MPC Software license allows a one-time transfer of the MPC Software for the original purchaser only. MPC Software is controlled by iLok and you'll need to contact Akai direct to arrange official transfer. This will ensure you can receive future updates, upgrade offers and support.

However, transfer of expansions is usually not allowed, there's no licensing control for these, they are effectively just folders of kits and samples, so there's nothing stopping people selling the expansions (potentially multiple times) and still keeping copies for themselves. That said, the MPC Software does come with some content included, so it might be those that they are including (specifically: Hook City, Sound Mob, Vegas Festival, Melodic Horizon, Urban Roulette)

MPC 2.5.1 is a very old version, so while you can update to the latest version for free, I do wonder why someone would be selling it as that specific version 'second hand'. That does ring alarm bells, perhaps it's a cracked copy. Ebay is of course full of cracked software (but also some legit resellers). But it's also possible he bought it at version 2.5.1 and never knew he could update it.

There are official resellers out there who sometimes offer deals, such as plugin fox, thomman etc. B&H are currently doing the full MPC Software 2 with those 5 expansions for $99:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... tware.html

I assume a big company like B&H are legit resellers.

So basically, if it's a second hand sale make sure you are able to get officially registered with Akai, if I were purchasing second hand software I would make it a requirement that the seller arrange the license transfer direct with Akai, make them confirm that they will do this, in advance, in writing (e.g. ebay or reverb message). Akai are also pretty slow at responding to emails (weeks) and there's no way to perform license transfers from within your account.

To me, that's a lot of hassle when you can buy legit for only $99.
By FinoAllaFine Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:11 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:The MPC Software license allows a one-time transfer of the MPC Software for the original purchaser only. MPC Software is controlled by iLok and you'll need to contact Akai direct to arrange official transfer. This will ensure you can receive future updates, upgrade offers and support.

However, transfer of expansions is usually not allowed, there's no licensing control for these, they are effectively just folders of kits and samples, so there's nothing stopping people selling the expansions (potentially multiple times) and still keeping copies for themselves. That said, the MPC Software does come with some content included, so it might be those that they are including (specifically: Hook City, Sound Mob, Vegas Festival, Melodic Horizon, Urban Roulette)

MPC 2.5.1 is a very old version, so while you can update to the latest version for free, I do wonder why someone would be selling it as that specific version 'second hand'. That does ring alarm bells, perhaps it's a cracked copy. Ebay is of course full of cracked software (but also some legit resellers). But it's also possible he bought it at version 2.5.1 and never knew he could update it.

There are official resellers out there who sometimes offer deals, such as plugin fox, thomman etc. B&H are currently doing the full MPC Software 2 with those 5 expansions for $99:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... tware.html

I assume a big company like B&H are legit resellers.

So basically, if it's a second hand sale make sure you are able to get officially registered with Akai, if I were purchasing second hand software I would make it a requirement that the seller arrange the license transfer direct with Akai, make them confirm that they will do this, in advance, in writing (e.g. ebay or reverb message). Akai are also pretty slow at responding to emails (weeks) and there's no way to perform license transfers from within your account.

To me, that's a lot of hassle when you can buy legit for only $99.

Thank you so much for all of this, this completely answered my question.