MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By NoQuestion Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:43 pm
For windows users experiencing this issue.

I done a reinstall over the weekend on a new PC.

I had the same issue as others where I could only open the MPC software as an admin. This would then break the ability to drag and drop from your desktop.

This is (potentially) due to a corrupted file, likely to be from an expansion pack or one of the included downloadable sounds.

To solve the issue, right click on your desktop shortcut and open file location. In the address bar, copy the file location.

Open powershell WITHOUT admin rights, and type: cd 'PASTE FILE LOCATION IN HERE' and hit enter, keeping the apostrophes around the file address you pasted in.

Then type MPC and hit tab, then hit enter.

You will be given an error and a file location, usually within C:\ProgramData\Akai\MPC.

Go to that folder and you will see the file doesn't exist.

I deleted the entire Akai folder in ProgramData, and now I can load the software without needing to run as admin, and I can drag and drop again.

I've spent hours working this out, so I hope this helps someone.
By Blackmanice Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:21 pm
It worked for me, thanks. But I didn’t delete my Akai folder, I just renamed it, that way once I had it working I copied over the folders inside the MPC directory to the newly created Akai folder, because I didn’t want to have to install all my expansions again. :worthy:
By Bantu Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:07 pm
This is metioned in the latest Akai release notes.
https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-release-notes

On Windows, users currently experiencing an issue where MPC Software will not launch without administrator privileges should locate and delete this folder on their installation drive: ProgramData\Akai\MPC\Sentry. This issue has been resolved for all new installs of MPC Software.

So it is only the Sentry folder that should be deleted. I have carried this out on my Windows 11 laptop and it's working - MPC will now load without the need for administrator setting.
By NoQuestion Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:49 am
Bantu wrote:This is metioned in the latest Akai release notes.

On Windows, users currently experiencing an issue where MPC Software will not launch without administrator privileges should locate and delete this folder on their installation drive: ProgramData\Akai\MPC\Sentry. This issue has been resolved for all new installs of MPC Software.

So it is only the Sentry folder that should be deleted. I have carried this out on my Windows 11 laptop and it's working - MPC will now load without the need for administrator setting.

Glad to see they've fixed it. My post was before the new update, and when I figured it out I thought I'd share what I found to hopefully get it working for others as the issue had been going on since at least May with no resolution.

With no access to crash logs, it's hard for an average user to know the exact specific issue, so this was more of a "hey try this, it should work"
By JAYSONFAYA Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:41 pm
NoQuestion wrote:
Bantu wrote:This is metioned in the latest Akai release notes.

Glad to see they've fixed it. My post was before the new update, and when I figured it out I thought I'd share what I found to hopefully get it working for others as the issue had been going on since at least May with no resolution.

With no access to crash logs, it's hard for an average user to know the exact specific issue, so this was more of a "hey try this, it should work"

Broooothers thank you so much! I was searching for hours to get a solution what i can try and now it seems like its even more than that. Great thank you so much Fam!
By retro Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:21 pm
Copy and paste this into a text document:

Set ApplicationPath="C:\Program Files\enter path of .exe (application)"
cmd /min /C "set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start "" %ApplicationPath%"

Change "enter path of .exe (application)" of the full path of the application.

Save and name whatever you want (MPC Software).

Change extension from .txt to .bat.

Run the batch file to test.

If working, save in a specific location. For all existing MPC icons and shortcuts, point the path to the location of the batch file.

Haven't tested on my end but should work. I've had no issues with using this method on other applications.
By retro Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:58 am
A few clients are forced to run applications with admin rights within our cloud environment. Problem is, none of our clients/partners are allowed admin rights within the environment. This was a quick fix to bypass UAC within Windows. Hasn't failed yet. Thought it might help force the MPC software to run without issue. I haven't personally experienced any issues as I'm on a mac for studio purposes.