Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By Explicit- Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 pm
I am asking because I was planning on having a Turntable in my living room to play records but my audio system doesnt have a ground connection for the turntable.

I was going to buy one of those Ikea book shelves with the TT on top of it. 8)
By RepRSP Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:40 pm
if you´re using a Technics 1210 chekk www.varyturn.com

i had my unit modded by these guys and now have internal grounding in the power cord
By Tapuno Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:12 am
Internal grounds are easy. Simple concept. Solder The shield of each RCA wire to the ground wire in the tonearm. It's the black one. Do both shields or you will have hum and and volume drop in the one you didn't. You can even jump a wire from one shield to the other and to the ground of the tonearm. The shield is the loose strands of wire surrounding the main hot wire in each cable roll these together and then tin(apply solder) to the tip to keep it from fraying. If your tt just has phono plugs(RCA jacks) then the outside is the shield, the center is the hot.jump a wire across them and then to the ground of the tonearm. Do NOT ground to the power cord unless you want to risk shocking the shit outta yourself. All you are doing is tryng to get rid of the loop, and the shields carry the ground current to the preamp. Hope this helps
By Star One Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:01 am
moyphee wrote:There's several video tutorials on self-grounding the 1200 should you have one.

^This. For sure.

I've never seen one of these videos but,

With almost every turntable, I would like to say all of them, inside is a small PCB with 4 leads, 4 wires. Those 4 wires on your cartridge, those run inside onto this PCB, and from there is connected to your RCA.

The ground wire coming out the back, if you open your turntable, you can cut and strip that ground wire, then solder it to the - RCA Wire on the circuit board. And now when you plug your RCA cables in, there is your ground.

It's a very simple modification to do, and there is countless people who will rip you off to do this. So watch out for that.
By Tapuno Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:17 am
StarOne wrote:
moyphee wrote:There's several video tutorials on self-grounding the 1200 should you have one.

^This. For sure.

I've never seen one of these videos but,

With almost every turntable, I would like to say all of them, inside is a small PCB with 4 leads, 4 wires. Those 4 wires on your cartridge, those run inside onto this PCB, and from there is connected to your RCA.

The ground wire coming out the back, if you open your turntable, you can cut and strip that ground wire, then solder it to the - RCA Wire on the circuit board. And now when you plug your RCA cables in, there is your ground.

It's a very simple modification to do, and there is countless people who will rip you off to do this. So watch out for that.

5 wires of its a grounded tonearm, the black one is ground.
By Tapuno Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:21 am

It will likely be the same on most turntables.
Just run a lead wire from each copper shielding of the audio wire( the solder marks besides the thick red and white wires) to the copper mark leading to the black wire. Easy peasy