Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By Essential Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:59 pm
Can anyone do me a favor and identify this sound coming from the turntable?
It's a Numark TTUSB, original needle/cartridge.

Here's an example of the turntable powered on, no needle on the record:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0I8R4b2tWx7

Here the turntable is powered off and on:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s071e9hAUY9g

My current setup is TT ---> Mixer ---> Mpc but it doesn't seem to make a difference if I change the signal flow, outlets, rooms etc...and I can't take this thing to another house to test out atm.

The digital whining/popping noise lessens depending on where I stand in the room, or how I position the RCA's...maybe it's a ground issue? I've tried a ground loop isolator but it did nothing. The sound is all over my samples especially when pitched down. I imagine it's either an issue with the TT itself, or the old wiring in the house.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate the help.
By peterpiper Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:33 pm
Essential wrote:Can anyone do me a favor and identify this sound coming from the turntable?
It's a Numark TTUSB, original needle/cartridge.

Here's an example of the turntable powered on, no needle on the record:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0I8R4b2tWx7

Here the turntable is powered off and on:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s071e9hAUY9g

My current setup is TT ---> Mixer ---> Mpc but it doesn't seem to make a difference if I change the signal flow, outlets, rooms etc...and I can't take this thing to another house to test out atm.

The digital whining/popping noise lessens depending on where I stand in the room, or how I position the RCA's...maybe it's a ground issue? I've tried a ground loop isolator but it did nothing. The sound is all over my samples especially when pitched down. I imagine it's either an issue with the TT itself, or the old wiring in the house.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate the help.

Sounds likenoise from the computer. I had a similar sound and it went away when I turned off the TFT Monitor so I plugged the monitor to another power outlet and now its gone no matter if the monitor is turned on or off.

You should do a step by step tour thru your cables and gear. unplug EVERYTHING (gear, light, heater etc) and plug in only the MPC, use headphones and the monitoring function with it. Now raise the recgain. Then like I said: step by step.....
at some point the noise will be there and you know at least on which device you need to take a closer look.
Then come back here and tell us about how it went.

peace
By Lampdog Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:45 am
I use separate powers.

Everything that is NOT in device line audio I use a different outlet.

Everything that IS in device line audio where I intend to record, I have plugged to a power conditioner.

Ferrite cores at end of audio cable, less effective but better than nothing.

Do not run power cables along side each other. If you MUST then have them run across each other in a "+" "plus" type fashion in order to minimize emi, electromagnetic interference.
By Essential Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:57 am
Thanks for the responses guys.

Alright well I went and got everything unplugged...everything in the room, and I have no overhead light fixtures so I had to work with a flashlight lol...yea the house and wiring is that old...

I had only the TT hooked up alongside the Mpc, nothing else plugged into any of the other outlets in the room. I tried one test with both devices in the same outlet, another test with both devices on an EMI/RFI filtered strip together, and finally one test with the devices separated by two different outlets. I also ran all these tests with just the TT and mixer hooked up, tried different rooms, different outlets etc. In all the tests I ran the noise was still present. The only thing that seems to make a difference is messing with the output ends of the TT's RCA's, where they meet the Mpc/mixer.

I even replaced the cartridge, which seems to pick up more sonic wise off the record and mask the noise a bit, so there's that, but it's definitely still present.
By Lampdog Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:57 am
Possibly old wiring like u said. That would affect the whole house.
No home ground or bad home ground?!

In sound forge you can record a few seconds of the noise, 60/50 hz hum, and then use that footprint sample against any other audio and sf can eliminate that footprint freq found on wave editor audio. I've used it in the past and had very good results.

I dont know if other wave editors can do that or not.

Many settings so it can be a subtle to harsh to brick wall freq cut if needed.