Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By pitir Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:00 pm
I just got a sweet little red/blue/white fisher price portable record player. But it has this high noise that i cant deal with! Like if its not grounded. The noise/pitched sound is there even if i turn the volum all the way down. At 33 rpm its ok but at 45 rpm its way to loud! What could it be? A bad needle or bad connected neadle or a bad grounding or...?

If someone has a fisher price player can tell me if yours behave as mine?

I will record it an d post the audio file tonight!

Best
Peter
By *Pilchard* Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:49 pm
I may be wrong but my thoughts are, because it's really a toy, there won;t be a lot of money spent on designing the electronics. It was never going to be HiFi but just for kids to play their records in their bedrooms.
I think you may just have to live with it and either see it's limitations as part of it's charm or try to filter out the noise.

Nice find tho'. I love stuff like that.

Will be interested to hear the sample tho'

:mrgreen:

oh and btw.
Pictures or it never happened. :lol:
By pitir Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:19 pm
I see it already as a toy in the sence its not going to be hifi sound. But I suspect its some kind ageing circuit. a lot pf sounding toys ive had (tape recorders etc) hasnt have this issue at all.
By Star One Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:18 pm
Typically the first thing to have an issue, is the cartridge. What you can do to test if that is the problem, is attach the wires to a test cartridge that you know works, to see if it's the problem.

If it ends up being that, maybe a direct replacement will be hard to find, you can always find a way to attach another one on to it.

But the pitched noise, is it a high pitch? Could be a voltage issue.

Your best bet would be to open it up and take a look for anything that might seem discolored, damaged, swollen, cut, ect.

I think I had the EXACT same one your talking about, the description matches in terms of colors, but maybe they are not. I was only borrowing it till I bought my Vestax portable, so I can't check the inside, but it never had that problem.

The internals of them I can tell you are VERY simple. Turntables are not really all that advanced. Especially not those. Most likely a few wires, a little transformer, a speaker, couple other things.

So it would be good place to start learning basic electronics :nod:

Post pictures of both outside unit assembled, then detailed photos of the inside.

Someone might be able to help out more with images.