Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By harry.ethics Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:40 am
I still use 1210s and vinyl, which i love dearly. but, i’m looking to modernise a little.

A Serato box seems like the obvious choice. But I have been looking at some of the 'all in one' controllers.

Anyone own or use one of these ?
In particular the Pioneer and NuMark models and how they stand up against one another and/or any other models available ?
Seems that some rely on the Serato or Traktor software anyways (often as an add on purchase)
I don’t need anything to complex
- integrated digital library ,
- EQ and fader,
- loop and cue features.

any hands on experience out there ?
By Mike Boogie Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:15 pm
I've own a couple of lower end Numark controllers. (MIXTrack PRO 1 & 2) Pioneer and Numark both make decent high-end controllers as well. It just depends on your taste and the "feel" you are looking for.

As far as coming from turntables, the NS7 series is about the closest you are gonna get due to the moving 7" platters. Pioneers high-end controller is almost exactly the same but have the same size wheels as the CDJ series.

The real question is what software you want to run. Serato, Tracktor, or Virtual DJ (my personal preference) etc. have slightly different feels, interfaces, and features. What are you familiar with?
By SILIS101 Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:59 pm
Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer. I bought one a month ago.

I've had an all vinyl with Technic 1200's setup for 20 years. I bought the Z2 mixer and now have the best of both worlds.

The mixer is $800 with everything included. Traktor scratch software full version, two vinyl code records and your set.

Serato vs Traktor is a war waged on the Internet. They are both good. I chose Traktor.
By mastasteez Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:40 pm
SILIS101 wrote:two vinyl code records

This might sound like a dumb question but can these be used on regular TTs?
By Mike Boogie Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:44 pm
mastasteez wrote:

:nod: :nod: :nod:
By SILIS101 Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:47 pm
mastasteez wrote:

Yes, they are designed to, basically, tell the software you are manipulating the playback of a song you have loaded to that turntable. That's how you can scratch any song loaded by mp3 or wav. Google: Digital Vinyl System, that will explain it better than I can.
You 'traditionally' mix 2 songs together the real way, like you would with real vinyl records.

The Z2 also let's you play your own vinyl. Just flip a switch for that turntable, on the mixer, and you can have one song playing real vinyl and the other one playing a mp3.
Get the Z2 and it's alllll graaaaavy. Best thing I've bought in a long time.
By harry.ethics Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:37 pm
Thank you.

So it looks like it's a software decision first, then a hardware choice.

Is Virtual DJ free ? confused by their subscription.

Looks like the Numark Mixtrack is a sensible first step into this,

Still, Traktor Kontrol is tempting. And I assume it's as stable / future proof as the Serato options.

I'm gonna download some software demo's and have a play around.

:smoker:
By Mike Boogie Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:39 pm
Virtual DJ is free for home djs and mouse/keyboard users. If you plan on using a controller, you will need to register the controller to unlock the features. Sorta like the Ren/Studio....

$99 if you want to register that 1 controller, or pay $299 for unlimited access and unlocks for as many controllers you can buy.
By pk1 Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:50 pm
once you play with the virtual "toy" dj softwares you will soon realize it will have to be serato or traktor. the others are just toys for mouse users or iPad dj's.

started vinyl, went serato for a few years. all my dj friends where on serato as well.

tractor got significantly better then its original conception. and i picked it up. much better product in my opinion. frankly serato has only just caught back up with Traktor. as far as fx and options.

most of these controllers no matter the make work with both.
By Mike Boogie Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:03 pm
pk1 wrote:once you play with the virtual "toy" dj softwares you will soon realize it will have to be serato or traktor. the others are just toys for mouse users or iPad dj's.

Lies!

Traktor is really good and Serato, with regard to SSL is the "standard" like Protools. It gained a lot of market share in the beginning. Traktor has certainly proved themselves over the years just like NI's products. The latest version of VDJ is just about up to snuff but I will admit it was a long time coming. I do like that VDJ gives you everything out of the box and won't nickle and dime you for features. (video playback, effects, etc.)

Of course, as stated before, it is all about personal taste.
By tapedeck Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:48 pm
the development of VDJ 8 is completely different than 7, and if it's anything like the software it grew from (DJDecks) - it blows the competition out of the water.

mixxx is open source and free and i enjoy using that on occasion - it doesn't do anything fancy but it works very well for simple stuff.

i think the 'controller' market is a losing game. they are ridiculously priced compared to each other, and have a short manufacturer life-span. the all-in-one systems that do not rely on a computer are already out there and i believe / hope they will take control of the market.
but the dj market has got to be one of the stupidest markets to try and understand. :hmmm:
By bliprock Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:31 am
serato is free though for 2 decks, some for more decks to play. It will do video to with a plug in but that costs around $120. I use CDJs with serato, and this means I don't have to buy any controller disks or actuall sound card as the CDJ acts as the same as the sound card and controller. In fact the person I bought off didn't even know that. Probably no as good as vinyl as there is no velocity so much, but unless your beat juggling and hard core scratching yo uwont notice any difference. Your wallet will though cos they are not cheap.
By pitcho Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:56 pm
Pioneeer Maker is perfect for making any beat :worthy:

this my remix