Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By hok-2 Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:17 pm
My record player constantly emits a massive hum.
I know this just sounds like a newbee question and I havent plugged in the ground wire.
But it's not that. I've had record players before and not had this loud ass hum business.

My deck is a Stanton STR8-60 are they just crap?
The hum stops if I unplug the mains plug.

Anyone have any advice?
PeAce.
By distortedtekno Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:41 pm
Wal Martian wrote:Could be a ground loop, make sure all your equipment is grounded to the same outlet on the wall.

If it were a ground loop, other gear would have noise issues as well.
By JVC Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:03 am
Computer power supplies, either laptop or desktop, emits RF noise.
You have to find out where the noise is from.
First thing you have to do is to isolate the issue. Turn off ALL the equipment, disconnect all the cables and connectors, and see if that improved the situation. If it did, start reconnect cables one by one, and check the hum for each step. That way, you can isolate the issue.

Sometimes, NOT using grounding wire would reduce hum, believe or not.

It might be from computer, or can be other culprit.

Generally, it is ideal to use same outlet for turntable, preamp, and all other connected peripherals.
By hok-2 Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:58 pm
Thanks a lot for everyones help
Especially the cat who told me to unplug everything and try to isolate the location of the hum.
That's the type of logical application of problem solving I hadn't thought of.
And some times you need a different perspective.

Never the less nothing worked
But It made me gravitate to another solution, so BIG UP YOUR CHEST.

I eventually plugged the record player strait into my Akai S3000 and turned the gain switch on the back to 'high'
And that works for sampling melodic riffs and scratching.
It lacks most bass frequency's, but that can be made up for with the filters.
Also at least I can listen to my records without the bassnote underneath.

Manny thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk8l8_rQg7s
By JVC Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:36 pm
I think there is something wrong with phono preamp / DJ mixer (my guess is you are using a DJ mixer as a phono preamp)
I'd presume that minimal setting for you to use the turntable is to connect to your DJ mixer (or phono preamp, or receiver with integrated phono amp.)
You stated that there is no hum issue when the turntable is connected to S3000 directly. So you have isolated the problem, the problem should be on the phono preamp (DJ mixer, receiver or stand alone phono preamp) you were using before.