Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By jibber Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:27 pm
distortedtekno wrote:
jibber wrote:It's confirmed, it'll cost $4k. :shock:

I think in that price range, there is probably a lot of other turntables that will easily outperform this one. Stupid high price IMO. It's a glorified classic design tho, i'm sure some people will buy it without hesitation.

Where's your source? And is that the price of the limited edition or the standard aluminum model?

I've followed a link from reddit to some article/blog. Apparently it was officially confirmed by technics today to some big hifi magazine/site.
By distortedtekno Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:40 am
With a $4000 price tag for the limited edition, I still wonder what the standard edition will sell for. I can't see a magnesium tone arm costing that much more than an aluminum arm. But also, the price of the limited edition will be much higher just because it's a numbered limited edition with the tags. Maybe the standard model will be half the price? I dont know. But $2000 is still a lot of money. $1000 would be a better number. But that's wishful thinking on my part. If they end up being higher, then the second hand 1200mk2 prices will remain inflated.
By JVC Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:15 am
distortedtekno wrote:With a $4000 price tag for the limited edition, I still wonder what the standard edition will sell for. I can't see a magnesium tone arm costing that much more than an aluminum arm. But also, the price of the limited edition will be much higher just because it's a numbered limited edition with the tags. Maybe the standard model will be half the price? I dont know. But $2000 is still a lot of money. $1000 would be a better number. But that's wishful thinking on my part. If they end up being higher, then the second hand 1200mk2 prices will remain inflated.

I think Technics is only releasing the limited version.
But, 1200 MK2 is really super common in Japan, it is not hard to find used 1200mk2 for around 30000yen (about 300 US dollars.)
By distortedtekno Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:38 am
JVC wrote:
distortedtekno wrote:With a $4000 price tag for the limited edition, I still wonder what the standard edition will sell for. I can't see a magnesium tone arm costing that much more than an aluminum arm. But also, the price of the limited edition will be much higher just because it's a numbered limited edition with the tags. Maybe the standard model will be half the price? I dont know. But $2000 is still a lot of money. $1000 would be a better number. But that's wishful thinking on my part. If they end up being higher, then the second hand 1200mk2 prices will remain inflated.

But, 1200 MK2 is really super common in Japan, it is not hard to find used 1200mk2 for around 30000yen (about 300 US dollars.)

Later in the year, they're releasing their standard version.
As far as used units go, the shipping from Japan won't be cheap.
By distortedtekno Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:51 am
Shit, I can buy 4 Pioneer PLX-1000s and a Rane mixer for $4000. Technics are gonna be sitting on dead stock and will have to lower the price at some point.
By BoyOfVirtue Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:25 pm
I'd have to see them listed for $4000 before I believe it, i just can't believe that a company would be that short-sighted and not know who their target audience is.

They originally stopped producing them because of "market conditions"--ie: not enough sales....well what do they expect will happen when they re-issue it but at a price few can afford. Let alone getting a pair of them, as is necessary for DJs.

Short of maybe increasing the range of the pitch control I've never heard anyone say that the 1200mk2 needed added features. Just re-issue the exact version of the previous turntable for a reasonable price and we'll all be happy.

This is destined to fail if the price doesn't drop SIGNIFICANTLY
By Star One Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:20 pm
JVC wrote:

Reluctant to put this on blast because of re-sale ebay dudes searching the internet, but then realized my awesome formatting makes web crawlers freak out. So here it is.

MK2, it's well known. Everyone thinks the MK2 is the ONE! So M3D, MK5 you can spot for a LOT LESS then the MK2.

Someone in my area got an M3D for 100 bucks, same seller had an MK2 listed for 450.00

It's all rehashes with very minor changes. Like addition of LED's stock. Or pitch zero out button. Then you got the stuff that markets towards people who really get off on placabo's with the "cardif" connectors and OFC tonearm wiring.

Decks are decks. Especially true with the 1200's.

For people sampling, and not even trying to do any of their own cuts or whatever, fisher price will do you good. A lot of people say they want quality sound, but wanna use burned up moldy records on the official.. Kinda crazy.

For djs, expensive deck wont make you good. Direct Drive over Belt is a given. But many people can get super busy on "jank" gemini's. Better then people with MG5's. As far as whats inside the SL's, is all the same.

Then you have the talk about torque. Someone mentioned this plastic bodied Stanton with the straight tonearm. Said he had to get the 150, and when I asked why not the 80, the reply was "150 is still their top of the line. Huge difference in torque. 1.6 on the 80 and 4.5 on 150"

1200's are at 1.5 kgf·cm so .1 less then the 80. I mentioned the 1200's cause that's what he originally wanted.

A lot of people get too caught up in numbers. Car people are the worst about it. But what cars and gear share in common, is the clever marketing to make you think your getting something more. Or anything at all (I.E. "Bolt on").

Hope this helps someone.
By tapedeck Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Then you have the talk about torque. Someone mentioned this plastic bodied Stanton with the straight tonearm. Said he had to get the 150, and when I asked why not the 80, the reply was "150 is still their top of the line. Huge difference in torque. 1.6 on the 80 and 4.5 on 150"

1200's are at 1.5 kgf·cm so .1 less then the 80. I mentioned the 1200's cause that's what he originally wanted.

A lot of people get too caught up in numbers. Car people are the worst about it. But what cars and gear share in common, is the clever marketing to make you think your getting something more. Or anything at all (I.E. "Bolt on").

to be fair, in this case, the stanton 150 and the 80 are totally different turntables. the 150 is actually a really nice table and the 80 is usable, but not near as nice or as solid. torque is not something i would consider though, agree with you there.
By Star One Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:18 pm
tapedeck wrote:

to be fair, in this case, the stanton 150 and the 80 are totally different turntables. the 150 is actually a really nice table and the 80 is usable, but not near as nice or as solid. torque is not something i would consider though, agree with you there.

I'm sure they are, but as I wrote it was specifically about the numbers. And in the case of torque, resistance creates torque, so glue a shit ton of quarters to the underside of the platter and get more torque! But people wanting to get into scratching or whatever, marketing people know they can sell to them if this boast this ultra high torque, when it's not going to help someone. Heavy hand v.s. Precise hand is a big thing. Not just with scratching of course.

I don't know anything about them except the bodies are plastic. Which is another thing, say a bedroom dj or a beat dude, wants 1200's for the rubber/aluminum body. But if it never leaves the house, it's not even something that should be considered.
By peterpiper Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:48 pm
Heavy hand v.s. Precise hand is a big thing.

so true. a friend of mine who is so much better in scratchin than I am can scratch on mostly every turntable and I mean it. He learned scratching on an old sony turntable, belt drive, loose platter. That made his fingers and handds so damn precise....I'm envy.

On the other hand. SL1210.........buy it and it will stay with you your whole life if you treat it right (well to be honest: It will stay even if you treat it bad sometimes). There is one number that blast away all other turntables IMO: lifetime. Mine is over 20 years old and saw many parties. Still runs and I bet it will run another 20 years (ok, now without the parties :))
peace