Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By huh? Mon May 08, 2017 4:45 am
Hey,

Need advice. Found a local seller who is selling a Technics SL-1210mk2 for $300 (with flight case and dust cover). Good condition but there's a minor issue with the platter spinning when it first starts up but it works like new after five minutes. I think the main board needs a capacitor replaced. So question, how much would this roughly cost? Besides the minor issue, it works well.
By JUKE 179r Mon May 08, 2017 2:15 pm
Works good after 5 minutes? :hmmm:

If it is a capacitor, its mad cheap (maybe $2?) to buy it from Mouser / Digi-Key and replace it yourself.
To me it sounds like the motor control IC chip is bad.
Before you buy it, CHECK EVERYTHING to make sure it works. Sound coming out left and right, +/-8 pitch control, speeds at 33.3 & 45, no bent tone arm, has a tone arm weight, properly grounded with no hum, pop up light works, no broken magnets under platter, no platter jitter... shit like that.
By tapedeck Mon May 08, 2017 5:09 pm
$300 for a non-working technics is a rip off. you have quite the bargaining ability here...so either get it down (i'd shoot for $100) or just walk away from that garbage. you'll find better.
By huh? Mon May 08, 2017 11:44 pm
Walked away is what I did. Didn't feel like dealing with the headaches and the seller did not budge on the price. Thanks guys!