Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By RiskOne Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:22 am
Fellow scratch djs, need some advice - stick an innofader in the vestax or just get one of those mixars cut / dj tech mixers for not much more money?

I'm a traktor user and in an ideal world i'd get the z2 but that would require also upgrading my ancient macbook, as I don't think the new version of traktor runs on snow leopard?

Safe!

Risk
By misterfade Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:55 am
I have the DJ Tech D1FS (the first one they came out with) and it has the Innofader for the crossfader. It's really good but there's a few things:

1. My left channel fader is acting weird (sound cuts off a bit). I think it's just cheap parts in there.
2. There's no master out so if you want to scratch with your headphones on, you can't. You can work around it but it's not the same.

So the fact it has the innofader is great but just a heads up that it's not perfect.

Now you can get a Vestax and put an innofader, that's a great option too. I had the PMC 06 years ago and I put the innofader in it, it was great.

There's also the Numark M2 that seems like another option as well.

I don't know about the Mixars mixers but just from the look of it, it looks similar to the DJ Techs so it could be the same build quality.
By RiskOne Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:30 pm
Thanks for the reply - I've literally just bought a mixars cut, I'll let you know how I get on with it!

Safe!

Risk
By RiskOne Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:13 pm
So I've had the mixars cut a few days and overall I'm very happy with it, only really had a quick mix and scratch so still getting used to it!

Pros:
Xlr balanced outs sound great (compared to the paper thin vestax 05 I've been rocking forever)
mini innofader - does what it says on the tin, great fader with reverse & curve adjustment
Nice clean layout
Master cue for headphone cutting
IEC mains lead - no wall wart power adapter
Combo mic input
Solid metal construction
Nice blue lights lol

Cons:
The upfaders are very close to eq pots, so crabbing on them is very tight
No "on" light - may sound stupid but there's no way to tell when u turn it on that it is on? - until the signal leds light up (as a work around I leave the master cue switch on so when it powers up you see one red led to know it's on)
The ground posts needed some pliers to get them loose as they were very tight
No dmc winning routine button? :lol:

Overall a great little mixer for the price! Only thing is the eq is quite harsh but in a good way? But this is subjective so you'll either like it or not, personally I think it's ok. Still yet to really test it out fully but for now I would recommend one.

Safe!

Risk
By misterfade Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:47 am
Nice review of it! I'm going to have to check that one. Master cue is a big plus for me, that's something I really need.