MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Astromagnum Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm
Hi,

I've been experiencing an issue with the MPC Live which I believe now to be quite common. The first unit I had would not connect to my Mac correctly, sometimes it would, most of the time not.

When it did go into controller mode it worked perfectly, but more often than not the SD card would not mount, defeating the object of being in controller mode as any projects loaded into the software needed to be on a drive other than the internal one which is not accessible/seen by the Mac as an external drive.

So, as I am in the middle of an album project which I need to finish by the second week of October at the very latest, I returned the unit but had to buy a second one from the same retailer so i wasn't without after sending my first one back.

It turned up today, I was excited to crack on working, and lo and behold - the SD card slot appears to be damaged, it's as if a PCB is out of alignment and the fit is very tight. After managing to gently force it in, the SD card mounts on the MPC, but still is not mounting on the Mac when in controller mode. What's more, it was almost impossible to remove the SD card as the spring mechanism to eject the card is not working, I imagine again due to the tightness of the port.

Crazy man, a beautiful, super functional machine marred by some very irritating faults - I am considering jumping ship to Maschine 3 if they can't get me a unit ASAP that is fully functional, although not having a standalone is a massive issue for me.
By Danoc Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:05 pm
I feel your pain. Man you have a deadline if Maschine works for you, you get what works because your deadline is important.

Astromagnum wrote:Hi,

I've been experiencing an issue with the MPC Live which I believe now to be quite common. The first unit I had would not connect to my Mac correctly, sometimes it would, most of the time not.

When it did go into controller mode it worked perfectly, but more often than not the SD card would not mount, defeating the object of being in controller mode as any projects loaded into the software needed to be on a drive other than the internal one which is not accessible/seen by the Mac as an external drive.

So, as I am in the middle of an album project which I need to finish by the second week of October at the very latest, I returned the unit but had to buy a second one from the same retailer so i wasn't without after sending my first one back.

It turned up today, I was excited to crack on working, and lo and behold - the SD card slot appears to be damaged, it's as if a PCB is out of alignment and the fit is very tight. After managing to gently force it in, the SD card mounts on the MPC, but still is not mounting on the Mac when in controller mode. What's more, it was almost impossible to remove the SD card as the spring mechanism to eject the card is not working, I imagine again due to the tightness of the port.

Crazy man, a beautiful, super functional machine marred by some very irritating faults - I am considering jumping ship to Maschine 3 if they can't get me a unit ASAP that is fully functional, although not having a standalone is a massive issue for me.
By stale bread Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:05 am
just out of curiosity why wouldn't you just use a thumb drive, or an external usb drive to do your work, I don't know your setup or what kind of music you make but you couldn't be using the sd card for anything else but storage right? , if so I would submit to you that the sequencer is far more important than the sd card/slot for your project... and maschine does not have an sd card slot in it does it?
By Coz Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:56 am
My SSD and USB3 thumb drive both mount fine every time I go into controller mode on my Mac. I'd get it swapped if the card slot seemed faulty, and try a thumb drive instead. They're dirt cheap these days.
By zangetsu01 Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:52 am
There are 3 things that I have noticed so far:

1) Depending on what type of USB cable you use the SSD and SD keep unmounting every few seconds. This happened when I wanted to place the computer on the other side of the room and used one of the USB cables that I had laying around. So I bought a new 5 meter cable and everything works fine.

2) The MPC doenst like Sandisk SD cards. (same behaviour as point 1).

3) The MPC doesn't like USB hubs. (same behaviour as point 1).
By Astromagnum Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 am
I like using SD cards and have a lot of them, I shouldn't have to accept I can't use the slot. I've never had a corrupt SD card and always enjoyed using them in many other devices.

I have a couple of thumb drives but they are small capacity, whereas my SD cards are both 32GB and it would be a waste to not use them. They mount, but putting them in and taking them out has already scratched the contacts. The spring mechanism doesn't work and I have to pinch the card with the tips of my fingers to pull it out.

This is a machine that cost just short of £1000.00, it should be on point. I love using it, but not enough to put up with faulty hardware - and software regarding the first one I purchased.

If the retailer gets me a third one ASAP and it's fine, I'll keep it as I need a standalone unit - but Maschine MK3 looks great, particularly the snapshots and touch pad/ribbon controller.
By Danoc Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:35 pm
Buy one PNY SD card and see if that works and let us know. I have that and have not one problem. Im going to get 2 more.

Astromagnum wrote:I like using SD cards and have a lot of them, I shouldn't have to accept I can't use the slot. I've never had a corrupt SD card and always enjoyed using them in many other devices.

I have a couple of thumb drives but they are small capacity, whereas my SD cards are both 32GB and it would be a waste to not use them. They mount, but putting them in and taking them out has already scratched the contacts. The spring mechanism doesn't work and I have to pinch the card with the tips of my fingers to pull it out.

This is a machine that cost just short of £1000.00, it should be on point. I love using it, but not enough to put up with faulty hardware - and software regarding the first one I purchased.

If the retailer gets me a third one ASAP and it's fine, I'll keep it as I need a standalone unit - but Maschine MK3 looks great, particularly the snapshots and touch pad/ribbon controller.