MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Luis Pastrana Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:01 am
So, obviously the MPC live is a really powerful unit, and from what i've seen i think i love everything about it. My only concern is, that the MPC might have "too clean" of a style to it if that makes any sense. 90% of what i make is Lo-Fi hip hop which should naturally have that kind of dirty sound to it. A lot of Lo Fi nowadays in my experience seems to be made on older model MPC's and SP 404's alongside a DAW. I've been rocking on my MPC1000 (which i love) for a while now but i'm really curious about trying the Live.

After scouring the internet, i can't seem to find much help on this specific topic. Anyone else curious about this, or have any feedback?
By billynojokes Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:14 am
ive made some dirty a** beats on the live no prob ... besides it being a sampler playing whatever style of sounds u put in there you can also dirty up sound with the filters / effects ... you can even mess around processing audio with different sample rates / bit depths as well ..... u can get all types of filthy mcnasty on the live
By Icepulse Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:48 am
Agreed. And in addition to the above comments, there's no way a "clean" sample of a live Art Blakey solo from 1956 can ever be anything but crunch, by default. That is to say, it's often in the sample choices.

Sample a Lee Ritenour track, and you'll get what you deserve! :lol:
By dazastah Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:45 pm
Be brutal with the sp1200 ring , then back it off on the dry wet signal.. use the compressor on your drum pgm and sample pgm to squash the hell out of it, then back it off... It takes messing around with but you can really get it to sound dirty... Ther's so many tools in there to get it to sound how you want...
By Danoc Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:25 am
You have filters in both machines you can get busy like crazy.

Luis Pastrana wrote:So, obviously the MPC live is a really powerful unit, and from what i've seen i think i love everything about it. My only concern is, that the MPC might have "too clean" of a style to it if that makes any sense. 90% of what i make is Lo-Fi hip hop which should naturally have that kind of dirty sound to it. A lot of Lo Fi nowadays in my experience seems to be made on older model MPC's and SP 404's alongside a DAW. I've been rocking on my MPC1000 (which i love) for a while now but i'm really curious about trying the Live.

After scouring the internet, i can't seem to find much help on this specific topic. Anyone else curious about this, or have any feedback?
By Icepulse Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 am
Blue Monster 65 wrote:
Icepulse wrote:Sample a Lee Ritenour track, and you'll get what you deserve! :lol:

Funniest thing I’ve ever read on here. Icepulse, I salute you!

:mrgreen: