MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Carmichael84 Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:26 pm
I currently have a 2kXL which I use smpte to sync with an 8 track reel to reel tape machine (tascam 388). The 2000xl has a dedicated SMPTE card which it looks like the newer MPC x and Live are lacking.

Was wondering if anyone knows how I might accomplish the same thing if I upgrade to the X or Live?

Was looking at maybe the MOTU Midi Timepiece which looks like it could convert MIDI from the X into smpte for the Tape Machine?

Or the other thought was to keep the 2kXL in the flow to be the master of both the MPC x + the Tape machine.

Thoughts?

Thanks y'all!
By wavejockey Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:56 am
i was looking for a similar setup (slave the X) but in some posts i read that in MIDI clock slave mode, the X/Live are (still) flawed
-loops are not triggering correct
-real time stretch is not working correct
By Carmichael84 Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:32 pm
Dang, that's kind of a bummer to hear! Thanks for the reply Tiger. Hopefully they get that straightened out. Definitely have my eye on the X or Live. My 2kXL has been amazing and definitely my fav pice of kit, but it's getting a bit old (glitchy transport buttons, cursor buttons on their way out, jog wheel studdering, screens seen better days).

I'll have to read up on the midi slave issues. What's your setup like Tiger? You using a tape machine with the MPc? Curious how other people get on with it
By wavejockey Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:28 pm
hey,

i just use the MPC4k to slave all my other sequencers (4) and computer + send MIDI clock to synths who can use this to their advantage
By marctronixx Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:12 am
timecode/click track on an audio track in the X/live and have your machine slave to that?
By Carmichael84 Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:39 am
Thanks for the reply Marc! Though I'm not sure I can run the tape machine as a slave. There's no smpte input on the reel to reel, so basic workflow is to record SMPTE out of the 2k into a spare channel on the tape. Then, the tape becomes master and the MPC syncs to the time code on the tape.

The bigger issue that I'm seeing after some further research is that:
The MPC X (unless recent updates have fixed this, in which case correct me if I'm wrong) cannot record audio in Slave mode.

Loops are not playing back properly

Sounds like some people are even having trouble just with sync stability in general when in slave mode.

really the 2kXL works great, mine just needs a lot of work to be 100%. The touch screen for chopping and being able to record samples while playing a sequnce are the main attractors for me to the live / x.
Does anyone have an X & a 2kXL that can test the slave more? I.E.: 2kXL as master, MPC X or Live as slave?

I'd be curious to know if these issues are resolved or just isolated to different hardware specific problems...
By marctronixx Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:38 pm
I dont use computers. All hardware. I i have many things connected to the X, and just like I had my 2KXL Studio Plus, the X is the heartbeat and center of my production.

I’m using all midi so i cant comment on how the X works with SMPTE but midi has been solid for me.
By Carmichael84 Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm
That's awesome to hear Marc! I'm in the same boat, all hardware. The MPC X looks like what I've been waiting for in an MPC upgrade for sure.

I'll probably pull the trigger on it. Figure I can always pull the laptop out which I know does sync with my Tape machine fine, when it comes to mix / dump tracks. I work as a graphic designer so I spend about 8-12 hours a day sitting at the computer, hence sort of inspiring my jump to a computer less studio.
By marctronixx Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:32 am
nice. good to see more hardware cats on here.

i multitrack out to a fostex d2424LV 56 track SSD and i mix down to DAT. even the fostex is sync'ed via midi from the X. I also use CV out on two of my synths and the XC really is a beast in this regard as your focal point in your kitchen.

if you're stuck having to use SMPTE click track you may have to get an interface it seems, but in my experience I can say with confidence the X is a worthy investment. I have both the LIVE and X (had the live since may and the X since july) upon release and have been really impressed.

there may be some squeaky wheels on this forum who squeal about this or that, and nothing is perfect mind you, but for the 4-5 who complain here, there are hundreds in the wild that arent (i just happen to be one that has no issues, but i use it standalone).
By richie Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:08 am
@marctronixx it would be wonderful if someone released a litmus test on the X or Live determining how the timing compares to the 60/3000/4000.

Also, not to derail the thread here but a pressing question I've been having - Have any of you folks notced a decent emount of jitter when striping an SMPTE track out first to use as sync for your 2000/2000XL?
By Carmichael84 Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:08 pm
That's awesome Marc. I just pulled the trigger on the X today! Totally agree, there's always gonna be people complaining about this or that. I can 100% be sure it's going to be better to work with than my 2kXL with busted buttons and a glitchy jog wheel.

@richie what tape machine are you rocking? Do you have any other way to stripe SMPTE? Might need to get your reel to reel calibrated? I was having some issues last year and ended up needing a new motor on my reel to reel. Swapped that and now the sync is way better.
Another thing to try would be maybe grabbing another device to generate your time code just to test it. I have a crusty old time code generator box that I use occasionally. Worth a shot.

I'll report back when I get my new X! Hopefully later this week. Stoked to join the 21st century MPC game
By bayslemmon Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:46 am
hey buddy,
maybe you can give me a hand if it's not too much trouble
I've an mpc 2000XL dan a 388
I want to midi everything up
what do I need other than the gear I have?
a coder/de-coder?
there's feck all info about this on the net
what do you do to achieve this?
cheers