MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Crumb$ Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:11 am
I've owned an MPC live for about 30hrs now and haven't put it down much, so maybe I'm going a bit nuts from over exposure, but all of a sudden my pads seem to be acting weird (as opposed to really nice and snappy). Suddenly they either cancel themselves out, or do a double hit, or both.... What have I done wrong?

Chords don't play properly either by pressing the pads, but If i press the pads on the touch screen they play fine.
Last edited by Crumb$ on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Cockdiesel Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:54 am
You have the program set to mono or a choke group going on, I would assume. Go into the program settings and check there.

There’s a great book that the owner of the site sells. If you’re new to mpc or even just could use more of a “formal” education on the box it’s priceless.
By Crumb$ Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:23 pm
Thats what I thought it was but when I looked there weren't any choke groups set, and it was in poly. I've had a Maschine for the last year so I wasn't totally in the dark, but obviously they are two very different things. Even if there was a choke group, one pad shouldn't cancel itself out, right? Sometimes hitting one pad would have a stuttered response and result in 1 and a half hits... When I get home tonight I'll have another look.

I might well buy the bible at some point. Right now I'm working my way through the manual.
By Crumb$ Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:29 pm
Ill-Green wrote:^^^this.

Also could be that the Pad sensitivity is too sensitive.

Is this a new or used MPC Live?

It's brand new (sleek matt black and already attracting dust and dead skin like mad... :-D ). I was gonna ask about settings... Under Hardware preferences mine are:

Pad threshold - 8 Normal
Pad sensitivity - 8 Normal
Pad curve A
By Crumb$ Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:22 am
Cockdiesel wrote:You have the program set to mono

Of course I think you were right. At the expense of making myself look like a dooche bag (or 'bag de douche', as the French say) I'll point out my mistake here for any future people searching for the same issue.

I thought I had checked for it being in Mono, but I think I was looking at the Master settings. When I took a better look this evening I saw that there is a Pad Polyphony setting on the LFO Modulation tab of the Program Edit menu. That was set to mono. Hopefully that was my issue. ...that and a lack of sleep.

Thanks for the help!
By Ill-Green Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:22 pm
Crumb$ wrote:It's brand new (sleek matt black and already attracting dust and dead skin like mad... :-D ). I was gonna ask about settings... Under Hardware preferences mine are:

Pad threshold - 8 Normal
Pad sensitivity - 8 Normal
Pad curve A

Hmm, seems fine in that setting. I only heard about this kind of trouble at least once since the Live's release. That problem was solved when the user reinstalled the pads. It seems at the factory, someone installed them in a hurry and mysteriously created air bubbles between the sensor and the rubber pads. At least thats what we think. But try it.