MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By escapetheclouds Sat May 19, 2018 2:51 am
Hi all,

Just got my MPC Live and have been wrapping my head around the interface. (I will be getting the Bible come payday, hopefully.)

So here's my question: I'm used to mixing effects in a DAW environment, using AUX buses and sends. For instance, let's say I'm mixing the simplest of reggae tunes: drumkit, bass, keys, guitar.

Let's say I've got a mix like this:
== Buses ==
Master Bus
Aux 1 - FX (Reverb) - Routed to Master
Aux 2 - FX (Delay) - Routed to Master
== Channels (All routed to Master) ==
Ch. 1 Kick - No FX sends
Ch. 2 Snare - Send Aux 1 and Aux 2
Ch. 3 Tom(s) - Send Aux 1
Ch. 4 Overhead - Send Aux 1
Ch. 5 Bass - No FX sends
Ch. 6 Keys - Send Aux 1 and Aux 2
Ch. 7 Guitar - Send Aux 1

How can I create the equivalent of a small rack of effects buses in the MPC Live's sequence (or, ideally, project), and then send to those effects? I know I can create mutiple instances of effects--for instance, add a reverb inside each program for the drums and keys, and on the guitar track--but that just seems like wasted CPU overhead and complication, if I just want to use the same reverb for all three.

Any thoughts on how to do this? And just clarify, I'd like to do this all in standalone mode. I love the crap out of this machine, and just want to get a better handle on the workflow.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Sat May 19, 2018 8:51 am
Also let me remind you that Live’s reverbs are Mono..Been asking for a true stereo reverb for a long time..I’ve seen somewhere on GS that Dan from AKAI said something about new FX coming (fingers crossed).So to be able to use properly the reverbs you must load them as inserts so you can have true panning control.For example if you have a hi hat and want to pan it 30L if you use a send reverb you’ll hear it also bleeding on the center but if you use it as insert you’ll hear it exactly where it’s panned in the stereo field.
By escapetheclouds Sat May 19, 2018 11:07 am
I'll take at the mixer/returns page. I've stumbled across it but couldn't quite get my head around it.

And, whoa, I didn't know the reverbs were mono. Why on Earth would they do that? Of all effects, THOSE need to be stereo. Did they specifically mention a stereo reverb?
By Caustic Yoda Tue May 29, 2018 8:32 am
Yeah some of the fx are usable but could do with some work, saving presets would go along way. ideally i would like to apply fx to tracks rather than programs or pads but i dont think there is a way