Support and discussion about Akai's next generation of standalone MPCs running the MPC Software 2.0
By mr_debauch Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:38 am
Danoc wrote:Since Akai has this terrible track record WHY WOULD ONE BUY THE NEW PRODUCTS?



Exactly. A lot of people won't for that exact reason... or, maybe they will be very careful and wait to make sure the product is solid before considering it. Let's hope akai will continue the effort and they don't drop the ball.
The complete guide to learning the MPC X & MPC Live
By Eyalc Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm
Danoc wrote:What up Eyalc, how are you bro? Your music is Dope-A-Licious! :worthy:

I'm starting to use the MPC Live more and more and more, For some reason, when I do the drums on the Live they sound better and natural than when I do on a computer. To sum it up, I have to work a little harder on a computer than I do with the Live, it's so freakin easy, that its not fair. I find it so easy to do my drums in the mpc live then transfer my stems over to Reason or Studio One and the magic happens when I apply sounds, chords and melodies, they follow the MPC Live lead if that makes sense to you. Some times I may make up chords and melodies, I export them from the DAW I work into the MPC Live and lay the drums on top then take the drums and come back into the Daw, its so beautiful, sexy, erotic LOL Man I just can't get enough.
When I am in the Major Studio and they see me work on the MPC Live its like they are amazed, and I am like for what, it's just a new machine, but it does so much.
It does what I need, and more, I don't know what others are looking for but for me it's cool. I agree Akai is not done that's why I am patient to see what they will come up with. No PDC for the software is nuts, Even Reason has that straightened out!
But I love this machine and wouldn't go back to the Legacy machines, I have gotten a taste of the goodness LOL :lol:
MPC Live reminds me of like Reason, most of the stuff in the Live is in Reason, but Reason is more powerful but I make them work together and do the thang. :smoker: :popcorn:


What up man! Thanks for the compliment. Appreciate you listening!

Yeah lots of ways to work that's for sure. I personally like this new MPC platform. Just hope Akai doesn't quit on it too early.
By Moho Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 pm
You know the new MPCS are a failure when...

No one can even be bothered to waste their breath talking about them.

Users of older mpc's and industry competitors don't need to criticize to justify their own purchases / products, they just smile to themselves and let them drift into obscurity.

Lack of interest is the real benchmark of failure. :nod:
By Unreallystic Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:05 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:The job of Akai Pro is to continue to offer support and updates on these devices. While having a how to tutorial is nice, that is what the User Quick Guide and Instructions Manuals are for. If that does not do, it's up to the user to find a tutor or someone who knows how to use the machine, like this location. Maybe someone will help and maybe they will tell you to R.T.M (Read The Manuel.)


I'm not saying its their job.

I'm saying they SHOULD do it anyways.

I'm also not saying "Just them" either, this is something that ALL music equipment developers should do in the modern era. Its not as shallow a point as to teach people either. As I mentioned, the benefits are larger than that. You build a STRONGER COMMUNITY. You build LESS IGNORANT USERS. You establish BETTER TRAINED CONTENT CREATORS WHO WILL PUSH YOUR PRODUCT. Its essentially transforms into advertisement. People get excited when they see other people create music quickly or that sounds good and realize how they can do it as well. And heck, if more people are purchasing, then the demand for soundpacks increases, which creates additional profit centers. This will invariably increase hardware demands possibly to the tune of releasing a new model (see Push to Push 2).

It doesn't hurt anyone for them to release videos on Youtube for all their functions, it will take them time and money in house, money that can be pulled from the advertisement budget(s). However it helps the long game substantially. Us being here is proof positive of this.
-Unreall
User avatar
By Danoc Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:35 pm
People are basically making a claim like Akai has been crapping around since the first machines and that's not the case. From the MPC 60-4000 its been rock solid. Only case with those machines is the screen may go out. From the 5000 to now is the promblem. Withe the new MPCs it seems they are working diligently to making it a dope product. For ME l'm good my machine is working. Can they add more? Sure, but those add on will l be able to use them or not?

So people can have caution.

mr_debauch wrote:
Danoc wrote:Since Akai has this terrible track record WHY WOULD ONE BUY THE NEW PRODUCTS?



Exactly. A lot of people won't for that exact reason... or, maybe they will be very careful and wait to make sure the product is solid before considering it. Let's hope akai will continue the effort and they don't drop the ball.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:14 pm
Unreallystic wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:The job of Akai Pro is to continue to offer support and updates on these devices. While having a how to tutorial is nice, that is what the User Quick Guide and Instructions Manuals are for. If that does not do, it's up to the user to find a tutor or someone who knows how to use the machine, like this location. Maybe someone will help and maybe they will tell you to R.T.M (Read The Manuel.)


I'm not saying its their job.

I'm saying they SHOULD do it anyways.

I'm also not saying "Just them" either, this is something that ALL music equipment developers should do in the modern era. Its not as shallow a point as to teach people either. As I mentioned, the benefits are larger than that. You build a STRONGER COMMUNITY. You build LESS IGNORANT USERS. You establish BETTER TRAINED CONTENT CREATORS WHO WILL PUSH YOUR PRODUCT. Its essentially transforms into advertisement. People get excited when they see other people create music quickly or that sounds good and realize how they can do it as well. And heck, if more people are purchasing, then the demand for soundpacks increases, which creates additional profit centers. This will invariably increase hardware demands possibly to the tune of releasing a new model (see Push to Push 2).

It doesn't hurt anyone for them to release videos on Youtube for all their functions, it will take them time and money in house, money that can be pulled from the advertisement budget(s). However it helps the long game substantially. Us being here is proof positive of this.
-Unreall


I understand but it's the job of the MUSICIAN to push the boundaries and educate themselves. The profit margin is very slim on these machines and they are not selling millions of them to warrant or afford that much support. In fact I would be surprised if they made and sold more than 20K units world wide, before they move on.

There are to many different ways that people work on these machines. Some people want to sample a record and loop it. That's it. They don't care about a midi matrix or programing cc messages or disk streaming.

The best way for Akai Pro to inspire musicians, is to make a real flag ship instrument packed with hardware and software features. They need a machine that blows the socks off every MPC ever made. Basically they need a machine that is the Sony Oxford/Harrison/NEVE/SSL of all drum machines.

I'm talking 8K to 10K for a machine, something that makes a statement. That they are here for the long haul. NO more cheap products, no more bad customer service. It should say, we are Professional Company who makes devices for Professional Musicians. That is what they use to have. That was the culture of the company.

Don't take this the wrong way, but right now they are making machines for people in their bedroom, who don't have lots of money to spend on their machine. It's for people who make music, on Saturday or Sunday when the kids are sleeping.

What confuses me is that with all the companies In Music owns, the best flagship they put out was the MPC X? Think about it: They have Air, Denon Professional, Marantz, Rane, Soni Vox, and M Audio. The MPC should destroy any drum machine out there. I'm not talking about beating them, I mean make a company say, there's no way we can compete.
By mr_debauch Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 pm
Danoc wrote:People are basically making a claim like Akai has been crapping around since the first machines and that's not the case. From the MPC 60-4000 its been rock solid. Only case with those machines is the screen may go out. From the 5000 to now is the promblem. Withe the new MPCs it seems they are working diligently to making it a dope product. For ME l'm good my machine is working. Can they add more? Sure, but those add on will l be able to use them or not?

So people can have caution.



no, the first machines were and still are great. I still use the 60 and 2000.. as well as other akai samplers from the era.

I think it is the moves that numark made that really put a bad taste in people's mouths. Nobody like seeing companies that they loved get bought up and cheapened... basically patents were bought just to skip out on R&D.
User avatar
By Danoc Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:18 pm
I know the old machines were and are great that's what l said. But they are without doubt old technology. That's the reason l wouldn't go back to a 2000XL.

mr_debauch wrote:
no, the first machines were and still are great. I still use the 60 and 2000.. as well as other akai samplers from the era.

I think it is the moves that numark made that really put a bad taste in people's mouths. Nobody like seeing companies that they loved get bought up and cheapened... basically patents were bought just to skip out on R&D.
By Frisbi Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:23 pm
Don't take this the wrong way, but right now they are making machines for people in their bedroom, who don't have lots of money to spend on their machine. It's for people who make music, on Saturday or Sunday when the kids are sleeping"

Are you serious? A 1.200 dollars machine for bedroom producers?
I don't think so.
I don't even think Akai has a clear idea about its customers.
I don't even think Akai cares about its customers.
They have a device which was created in the 80s as I know and they are trying to renew it with the new technology that meanwhile achieved very high standards compared to the technology of the 80s.
I think that's the reason MPC Live has all these bugs. It's an old and different operating system inside a different kind of electronics.
I also think Akai knows that if they make it, Live becomes unbeatable but I also think that this integration is far to achieve.
So they use their customers as beta tester, because otherwise it would be way too expensive and it would take too much time to have a perfect device.
That's it.
Forget about support and forget about seeing your wishes come true.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:54 pm
Frisbi wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, but right now they are making machines for people in their bedroom, who don't have lots of money to spend on their machine. It's for people who make music, on Saturday or Sunday when the kids are sleeping"

Are you serious? A 1.200 dollars machine for bedroom producers?
I don't think so.
I don't even think Akai has a clear idea about its customers.
I don't even think Akai cares about its customers.
They have a device which was created in the 80s as I know and they are trying to renew it with the new technology that meanwhile achieved very high standards compared to the technology of the 80s.
I think that's the reason MPC Live has all these bugs. It's an old and different operating system inside a different kind of electronics.
I also think Akai knows that if they make it, Live becomes unbeatable but I also think that this integration is far to achieve.
So they use their customers as beta tester, because otherwise it would be way too expensive and it would take too much time to have a perfect device.
That's it.
Forget about support and forget about seeing your wishes come true.


Yes, 1200 dollar for professional production equipment is not considered high end. Considering the same people are buying 800 dollar smartphones. In fact the Rane SEVENTY-TWO Battle-Ready DJ mixer cost 1900.
By Buzzard Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:51 am
I don't think it's a failure. I love it. I think most my issues are failures on my part to understand what I can do. I've not used a DAW to produce music since '08 after using one for 4 years. Computer crashed and I feared another so I stopped and controllers at that time seemed way too expensive, but the whole thing has gotten better and smarter. I just have to learn what I've missed and what is "part of the workflow" vs "not available".
User avatar
By Danoc Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:26 pm
Lmao lol that was a crazy statement lol.

$1200 & $2100 is not cheap and not for no bedroom. lol Anyone can can use it anywhere.

CharlesRandolph wrote:
Yes, 1200 dollar for professional production equipment is not considered high end. Considering the same people are buying 800 dollar smartphones. In fact the Rane SEVENTY-TWO Battle-Ready DJ mixer cost 1900.
User avatar
By Danoc Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:42 pm
:worthy: Salute you on your honesty. As I said, yes Akai made some umphf moments, but a lot also is due to users not knowing what the hell they are doing. I remember thinking Reason editing was wack, then I started understanding the tools, and now I understand ITS NOT WACK, I WAS WACK IN USING IT PROPERLY!

I love rocking a PC to mix and master my music and producing in it, and on the Live. I will never go back to Protools or a Mac computer. Especially in my home studio. This live has taken me to a new level, and the more I know it and use it, it just gets better. The way the Live handles sequences puts me right where I was using the 2000XL and more, the functions it handles is wonderful. Just made this RnB joint, did the drums on the MPC Live and it just inspired me, got the singer on it rocking, it's crazy! It's beautiful when you are rocking your drums and don't have to worry about latency issues and being bogged down to a PC and kill the drums! :smoker: :mrgreen:

Buzzard wrote:I don't think it's a failure. I love it. I think most my issues are failures on my part to understand what I can do.
I've not used a DAW to produce music since '08 after using one for 4 years. Computer crashed and I feared another so I stopped and controllers at that time seemed way too expensive, but the whole thing has gotten better and smarter. I just have to learn what I've missed and what is "part of the workflow" vs "not available".
User avatar
By Wormhelmet Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 pm
I’m still gonna wait. I would have done the same with a new MV series if Roland made one too. I lucked out discovering the mv8000 and 8800 years after they were a finished product. Mike Acosta and others went through all the headaches while Roland got their **** together.

Akai can make these machines even greater with updates and features added.

If you want to early adopt, cool. If you want to proceed with caution and just lurk until you see the things you need finished, that’s cool too.

Akai seems to be actively working on it which is a good sign.
By vwkountz Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 pm
I'm enjoying the Live, but Akai did fumble on midi usb and usb audio out in standalone.

Once, you wrap our head around its an MPC with access to storage drives, usb controllers (some), track export, and faster sample editing. Then you understand you have a touch screen power house.

If you push beyond these functions then you find Akai didn't really innovate and you might think they failed.

I choose to believe it a great machine with old issues that require me to think outside the box.