MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Frisbi wrote:What about Blue lines?

They said they used Ensoniq EPS Keyboard, a Numark I775PPD mixer and a few other low-end gadgets. Yet they tracked the music at Coach House Studios, Hot Nights, Cherry Bear Studios, Abbey Road Studios, Eastcote Studios, Konk Studios.

Article: http://www.musictech.net/2015/03/landma ... ve-attack/

Cool.
So i was right more or less.
I was not talking about final mix or mastering or post production.
I don't think anybody could think about making these things with an MPC.
Any clue about Portishead Dummy or Orbital first records
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:59 pm
Frisbi wrote:So i was right more or less.
I was not talking about final mix or mastering or post production.
I don't think anybody could think about making these things with an MPC.
Any clue about Portishead Dummy or Orbital first records

I don't know. However when the Ensoniq EPS came out it was $2500 and that was considered cheap. Also that was not without the 8 Output Expander and the Memory Expander. :lol: :lol:
By Danoc Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:29 am
:lol: lol lmao ctfu you cray cray lol

Hell if l custom made a desk for the live l would charge an arm and a leg.

CharlesRandolph wrote:DANOC, what's insane is that ILL GREEN is building custom made desk for the MPC LIVE. If that desk was retail ready, it would cost 2K and up. :lol: :lol: :lol: He's over here making custom furniture for KING LOUIE. Talking about 10K for a machine is too much. :lol: :lol:
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm
dryad-66 wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Any clue about Portishead Dummy or Orbital first records

Orbitals 'Chime' was recorded on 4 track cassette if i remember rightly.

I was able to get some great recordings off a 4 track tascam cassette recorder. But here is the thing, Orbital is not recording on 4 track cassette anymore, they use ableton and a host of expensive outboard gear and synths. This video is from 2014. :nod:

The tools should never define your creativity, however it's great when the tools don't get in the way it as well.

Bymember04959388 Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:49 pm
Just to say that we have a very powerful machine, much more powerful than a lot of devices that gave shape to the music we have been listening to.
So lets learn how to use them right.
I can say that now Mpc Live, after last updates, is more then usable, if you have the patience to master it.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:24 pm
Frisbi wrote:Just to say that we have a very powerful machine, much more powerful than a lot of devices that gave shape to the music we have been listening to.
So lets learn how to use them right.
I can say that now Mpc Live, after last updates, is more then usable, if you have the patience to master it.

When you look at the technology that is around us and the price of that technology.
Are they usable: YES.
More powerful: NO.
Failure: NO
Raise the Bar: NO
A Good Edition: YES
By Sharris Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:A 10k MPC better be made in complete metal, circuits made in pure 14k gold. Pads like a glockenspiel and it better have an engine and 4 wheels so I can drive to the park and make beats at the parking lot.

DANOC, what's insane is that ILL GREEN is building custom made desk for the MPC LIVE. If that desk was retail ready, it would cost 2K and up. :lol: :lol: :lol: He's over here making custom furniture for KING LOUIE. Talking about 10K for a machine is too much. :lol: :lol:

Huh? I get you said "if it was retail ready", but that doesn't have anything to do with anything. I doubt IllGreen paid even $100 makin that desk.........so how does him makin a $100 desk make it funny that he thinks spending $10k on an MPC is too much?

Just curious........ because it seems like your comments are getting a little wacky.

Charles says: The DAWless will soon learn (talking about a mixer for all the outs........not pianos, flutes & acoustic guitars). Then proceeds to call an MPC a DAW & argues that it isn't DAWless to use hardware. You're the one that called it DAWless in the first place! What's great is Lampdog checkmated Charles arguing with himself :lol:

I'm stopping there. Quotin all the crazy comments would take up 2 pages. & 10 pages are already filled with them.

Don't get me wrong, I understand discussing & debating, but all I see is someone picking apart everyone's words & a lot of reeeeeeeeeeeeaching.

This thread is better than reality tv.
By Danoc Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:58 pm
I told yall this thread was headed to hell.

No one can laugh at Ill Green making a desk for his MPC live. That takes freakin skill.

It was broken down the def. Of the acronym DAW and the X/Live fit that def.

Again the DAWless movement is home studio cats, but l won't be playing to that tune.
By Sharris Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:11 pm
I totally agree Danoc on both points.
IllGreen's an artist, I would use that desk in a heart beat. Was just sayin, I doubt he put a lot of money in it. I was confused by Charles's comment. Because IllGreen built a desk a $10k MPC should make sense to him?

& be careful callin it DAWless......... apparently there is no such thing :lol:
By Ill-Green Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:23 pm
Danoc wrote::lol: lol lmao ctfu you cray cray lol

Hell if l custom made a desk for the live l would charge an arm and a leg.

CharlesRandolph wrote:DANOC, what's insane is that ILL GREEN is building custom made desk for the MPC LIVE. If that desk was retail ready, it would cost 2K and up. :lol: :lol: :lol: He's over here making custom furniture for KING LOUIE. Talking about 10K for a machine is too much. :lol: :lol:

I once built a studio as an arcade cabinet like Pole Position where you sat in and played. Had car speakers in there, about 4 tweeters, 6 midrange and 4 bass speakers. Everyone hated it because it rocked the neighbors...and my mom. One day it was gone.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:40 pm
1. I never put down ILL GREEN desk, I've actually complemented him many times. The facts are, he did not go to IKEA, he built a personal desk for his device. Everything about the desk fit him to the key. If you went to a furniture maker and asked them to make a custom desk, how much do you think it would cost? Even if they used particle board, you'll spend at least 600 on it. (Material and TIME)

2. The reason I mentioned ILL GREEN desk is because he would understand the benefits of having something built well. People who tend to create and making things. Understand what great build quality is.

3. rharris: Did you read anything I wrote, I don't know your particular history/background in audio. But if the MPC is not a D.A.W. aka DIGITAL AUDIO WORKSTATION. I will quit music right now. :lol:

4. You want to go Dawless, then you need to use only analog gear. Here quick example: Acoustic Guitar to an Analogue Board to 2 inch reel to reel. That would be considered DAWLESS.
By Sharris Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:57 pm
I read all of your posts Charles, you are the one having trouble reading.... I can tell by your replies.

Did I say you made fun of his desk? No.

Did I say an MPC isn't a DAW? No.

This is my point. You are picking a part my words & are getting it all WRONG.

I understand your point about making a custom desk. But when you are an artist, you like to create art. I would TOTALLY build a desk like that, would probably even add carvings......would spend maybe $100 to make it. Doesn't mean I would buy a $10k MPC (or $7,500 sorry, but by the way, since you like to pick sh!t a part, you never said $7,500 you said $8,000 - $10,000).

Did I say I want to go DAWless?

THIS IS MY POINT.
WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THIS STUFF???????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????
By Cockdiesel Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:18 am
Perhaps they should just call it “logic less” “ableton less” or pro tool less. Arguing over semantics really. What’s really the point when the intended message is communicated but people want to be a stickler for definitions.

From my experience you could mix a track entirely on the live but it would pale in comparison to anything done a computer. It can be done but you would need a lot more time and the help of some apps to get close. I’m no expert on mixing, dynamics etc, in fact a novice but it’s pretty clear for me to see.

In that same frame of thought I found some cool free spectrum analyzer apps for iPhone you just need a way to get the sound in. I bought a Roland go mixer and it’s cool but it cannot handle the full on main output of the live. Not sure why, although the mixer is really handy for making videos and stuff just can handle everything unless it’s really turned down. Now just one keyboard patch or similar it actually sounds good for a under 100 dollar sound card.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 am
Sharris wrote:I read all of your posts Charles, you are the one having trouble reading.... I can tell by your replies.

Did I say you made fun of his desk? No.

Did I say an MPC isn't a DAW? No.

This is my point. You are picking a part my words & are getting it all WRONG.

I understand your point about making a custom desk. But when you are an artist, you like to create art. I would TOTALLY build a desk like that, would probably even add carvings......would spend maybe $100 to make it. Doesn't mean I would buy a $10k MPC (or $7,500 sorry, but by the way, since you like to pick sh!t a part, you never said $7,500 you said $8,000 - $10,000).

Did I say I want to go DAWless?

THIS IS MY POINT.
WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THIS STUFF???????????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Please clarify this because this is what you said I wrote.

Charles says: The DAWless will soon learn (talking about a mixer for all the outs........not pianos, flutes & acoustic guitars). Then proceeds to call an MPC a DAW & argues that it isn't DAWless to use hardware. You're the one that called it DAWless in the first place! What's great is Lampdog checkmated Charles arguing with himself :lol:

If you are going to quote me. Then quote me, don't fake news me BRO. :lol:

This is what I wrote.

The ironic thing is most DAWless setups are not actually DAWless considering it stands for DIGITAL AUDIO WORK STATION. Therefore they would have to stay 100% analog to be DAWless. No D/A conversion, No samples, No drum machines, pretty much that means anything with digital technology. :lol:

I also wrote this.

The DAW less movement will soon learn once they want, separate tracks of each module. Then realize they need a MIXER with 24 inputs to track those 12 desktop modules at one time. (This is talking about creating stems.)

EDIT: You are correct with the 8000 to 10000...Also the ILL GREEN comment was meant as fun/banter. Nevertheless, I get it. You would not buy the machine at that price point. Not everything is made for everyone.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.