MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By glide Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:26 am
Ok ... So these two are very important for me ... Having them inside the MPC seams awesome..

Yet when I compare them with dedicated units and plugins (even standard Abelton version) they sound quite harsh and artifactial ..

Ive not heard any online demos that counter my opinion.. anyone care to post demos that counters the statement or would you agree? ...

Thx!
Last edited by glide on Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:32 am
There’s no envelope? I haven’t tried it so I don’t know.
By glide Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:05 am
Envelopes, bells and flutes .. and other novelty is not my main concern... The smoothness of the grain looping and overall sonic behavior though is..

In Ableton granulator the loops are very natural, (like the crossover points have curved slopes or something that is missing on the Akais ..

Btw it's not all a question of CPU power, the polyend tracker running a 286mhz chip does simple yet beautiful granular stuff..

Sadly I hear this extreme harshness in the freeze as well ... :roll:
By B-Wise Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 am
glide wrote:Envelopes, bells and flutes .. and other novelty is not my main concern... The smoothness of the grain looping and overall sonic behavior though is..

In Ableton granulator the loops are very natural, (like the crossover points have curved slopes or something that is missing on the Akais ..

Btw it's not all a question of CPU power, the polyend tracker running a 286mhz chip does simple yet beautiful granular stuff..

The best thing is to use it to your advantage & maybe adding some reverb & distortion or the amp sim FX to create a cool rough granular sound. With Akai, many times you have find a creative way to get what you want & in the process you may not get what you want, but find all kinds of other cool things instead.
By ivato Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:08 pm
Hello

On the first video link you can also hear that harshness on some times in the video albeit the used material is not the same. And people in the comments also complain about the harshness ^^

TBH the author on the MPC example is using vocals, and in a really bad way.

I am not defending the MPC plugin, I am not a granular expert, but I managed to have good results on a send/return config, using it to make some kind of shimmery reverbs. It sounded not harsh at all ( I used to add some delay and eq on the other slots on that send )

I may send examples if I can find that project.
By glide Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 pm
Nothing against using things to its advantage.. but this is something completely different..

These sound incredibly static and harsh,..just like digital distortion doesn't have to many advantages if you want smooth saturation.. compare this to almost any similar plugins and the Akais are out preformed..

B-Wise wrote:
glide wrote:Envelopes, bells and flutes .. and
other novelty is not my main concern... The smoothness of the grain looping and overall sonic behavior though is..

The best thing is to use it to your advantage & maybe adding some reverb & distortion or the amp sim FX to create a cool rough granular sound. With Akai, many times you have find a creative way to get what you want & in the process you may not get what you want, but find all kinds of other cool things instead.

Try any video of Akais granular and freeze and compare it to Abelton stock plugin,or others even polyend makes it look silly..

I don't mean to be negative here, I'm sure one can put these to good use but I expect a certain quality standard and IMO Akais really dropped the ball on this one ... A great opportunityies to expand the sampler into exotic soundscapes only to be rendered completely useless by harsh statistic unpleasant noise.. :Sigh:

ivato wrote:Hello

On the first video link you can also hear that harshness on some times in the video albeit the used material is not the same. And people in the comments also complain about the harshness ^^

TBH the author on the MPC example is using vocals, and in a really bad way.

I am not defending the MPC plugin, I am not a granular expert, but I managed to have good results on a send/return config, using it to make some kind of shimmery reverbs. It sounded not harsh at all ( I used to add some delay and eq on the other slots on that send )

I may send examples if I can find that project.
By mpc_fan_2022 Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:54 am
You're comparing a basic granular effect to a complete software instrument with tons of modulation routing capabilities. A granular effect isn't a complete granular synthesizer.

If you're not satisfied with what the MPC gives you then use something else, like the GR-1 or the Lemon Drop.
By smpldggr Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:05 am
For a standalone plugin with the functions and sound of the Lemondrop I would gladly spend some money.
By glide Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:47 pm
mpc_fan_2022 wrote:You're comparing a basic granular effect to a complete software instrument with tons of modulation routing capabilities. A granular effect isn't a complete granular synthesizer.

If you're not satisfied with what the MPC gives you then use something else, like the GR-1 or the Lemon Drop.

:WTF:
No I am not .. I said ANY granualr platform, softwhere or hardwhere the are all smoother then the Akais, by miles .. no matter the price,

and not comparing features here eather ..just straight payback !!

I dont belive this is even an argument .. you have ears ..

and Ill repeat this..>> the polyend tracker has a 286mhz chip and it has no problem with the harsh or unpleasant tones ...

Akai threw us a 3rd rate standarad here ... I bet your money on that the reason is that they'll make you pay for a Pro version when it comes to it ..
By RandomVibration Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 am
None of use can fix this for you. You and Akai are the only two parties empowered to resolve your situation.

Send Akai a trouble ticket and see how they respond. It’s likely nothing will become of it. Or as an alternative, use Ableton Live or the Polyend since both responds more the way you need them to.

Not everything is for everybody. If this is of critical importance to you as you state, you can change your tools easier that you can change Akai’s mind.
By glide Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 pm
I was merely hoping to have these features in an on the go sampler.. dont think me and Akai are going to roll one over it ..

I don't have the room for multiple units/ power supplies cables etc in my backpack .. flex is quite interesting to me and these would have sealed the deal 100% ..

I was hoping someone could provide something countering what I am hearing .. but the sonic impressions are the same on every demo, its not question of cpu , just smart code, in Akais defense the best granular s are often contributed to one dedicated programmer who takes a long time to code.. guessing ita a rather specific/ specialized talent ... But then again In music isn't exactly a small fish .. I expect them to fix this in the coming future$

.. really to bad as having these in a resampling environment is just smoking aces 360 ..
By mpc_fan_2022 Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:25 am
glide wrote:
and Ill repeat this..>> the polyend tracker has a 286mhz chip and it has no problem with the harsh or unpleasant tones ...

The Polyend Tracker has clicks and pops and a whole lot of crappy audio quality issues, I wouldn't use that device as an exemple of something that sounds good.

AKAI Granulator is an effect and isn't integrated to the keygroup or drum program itself, so You have next to no control over how it works.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:06 pm
Granulator effect is not a dedicated grain device.
To compare, view it as one or expect it to be one makes no fried chicken sense.

Realize that.

Come to grips widdit.

Move on.
By glide Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:08 am
Do you own a tracker ? Care to share what " whole lot of crappy audio quality issues" are?

And the argument that is an effect is rather bland init? .. :smh:
Its a realtime process!
most granular sampler optios have a wet/dry mix..
it being a sampler or a plugin isn't winning any logic

So if Akai (as Great as they are ) served crap algos on these plugs then face it.. why try to cast the blame, bury the body and say move on .. head in the sand, or hush hush this is a mpc forum... This isn't going to earn any infinity stones.. sincerity is brushed aside in flavor of political alignment everywhere, let's not make that a thing on public forums

InMusic is a corporation in the instrument industry.. they should address this >>these are top features..
take that as win from this thread :shock: :idea: ...instead forming a idiocracy