MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Wormhelmet Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:36 am
If clip launch is done like Ableton, then its looped samples all stretched to same bpm. Can be different lengths. 4 bar sample plays once during loop while two bar plays twice, one bar plays 4 times, etc

Clips can have wait times quantized so if you launch a clip and its on the wring timing, it will actually wait to start until it can sync correctly. You can also choose immediate launch, but make sure your timing is tight.

All timing synced up, but clips run independent. Means you could potentially load up 16 pads on 16 banks and pick and choose loops that run on them all synced. Haven't seen video, but thats how they run in Ableton. Ableton allows clips to be arranged horizontally in scenes and whole scenes can be launched with one click.

Kind of like pattern play on the mv8800. You can load up 16 patterns by 6 banks and live play your song. All timed right. Also record performance into song I believe. In the MV, you can use phrases to do this onto a single audio track in a pattern. The mv modes only allow pattern play with one pad at a time.

Beatmaker 2 on ipad does quantized launch, but not quite as accurate with longer wait times as Ableton. Beatmaker 3 should have full clip launching features though I think. BM2 allows recording these looped samples into sequencer to further edit or quantize. Also has choke groups so launching a new loop clip can choke off a loop playing if in the same choke group.

Trigger type can be set to loop, one shot, toggle, etc, multiple pads from multiple banks can run at the same time.

In Ableton, it is essentially the "Live" part of Ableton Live. You can have clips and scenes ready to launch and arrange in a live play and still record your whole performance spit out to multitrack regular tracks to further edit and finalize. Ableton takes it a step further by allowing midi clips also. You might have a midi clip (loop running 4 bars or something) output to a vst. It will sync up with audio clips easy. Also, the midi data will show up in arrangemen view as horizontal midi track and audio clips as horizontal audio tracks, while session view is clip view essentially and tracks arranged vertically.

Clip launch is a big deal if you want to play out your song and record your performance in the same program simultaneously.

I use to run my Korg padKontrol mapped to clips and scenes. They came out with APC40, then Push later for launching stuff live. Novation Launchpad too.
By Jose da Silva Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 am
What I like to see in the next MPC's is a sample robot. In the standalone mode VST instruments is not possible to use it in your tracks.

So if Akai can build a internal sample robot into the MPC, then we can hookup a external synth. Set the sample length with 4 velocities and with a midi out signal from note 0 till 127 to the midi in of the synth. So automatically the sampler do the sampling and the edit program set al the samples in place.

A other example could be. The MPC in control mode hooket up to a computer. We can sample internally a VST instrument with the same automatic sample mode.

This could be a fast way to build your own sampled synth libraries to use in your production even if you use the MPC in standalone mode.

Would you use this if Akai would build this in the MPC?
By Ill-Green Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:48 am
@Kaydigi and Wormhelmet-THANK YOU!

Ok, I'm understanding it, simple feature though. I thought it was launching patterns timestretched to the BPM.

Looks like I'll have to wait around Mother's day. In the meantime, I been buying CDs and vinyl and stashing them away without listening to them. Soon as that Live arrives, gonna take a 10 day vacation and get my hands and ears, dusty! :twisted:
By AkaiProAU Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 am
summer2k wrote:
AkaiProAU wrote:As an employee of Akai Pro you might want to send out official word to have that page updated because we all know by now you guys won't be able to deliver before the end of the 1st quarter.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away.

I am not an employee of Akai Pro. I am an independent distributor.
By wavejockey Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 am
Jose da Silva wrote:What I like to see in the next MPC's is a sample robot. In the standalone mode VST instruments is not possible to use it in your tracks.

So if Akai can build a internal sample robot into the MPC, then we can hookup a external synth. Set the sample length with 4 velocities and with a midi out signal from note 0 till 127 to the midi in of the synth. So automatically the sampler do the sampling and the edit program set al the samples in place.

A other example could be. The MPC in control mode hooket up to a computer. We can sample internally a VST instrument with the same automatic sample mode.

This could be a fast way to build your own sampled synth libraries to use in your production even if you use the MPC in standalone mode.

Would you use this if Akai would build this in the MPC?

i have recorded this into sequence 999 of my MPC4000
all 128 tracks with different scales/lengths/durations etc
works great

look for sequetron LE v.13, this has build-in (extensive!) routine for this
By MPC-Tutor Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 am
Jose da Silva wrote:What I like to see in the next MPC's is a sample robot. In the standalone mode VST instruments is not possible to use it in your tracks.

It is of course a great idea, but I wonder if Akai has the resources to create such a feature when they are still dragging their heels on more basic core features? The alternative would be to license it from Skylife, which I assume is possible considering the existence of a Korg edition of Sample Robot, but would Akai be willing to swallow the additional costs or would this have to be a paid upgrade?
By rookie Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:22 pm
Yep the real wait begins, because all the industry heads gotta get theirs 1st.
By rookie Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:41 pm
They may have let the cat out of the bag too soon, just to get to Namm, instead of perfecting the product first, another misfire. I may as well wait on the new Roland Mv X.
By Ill-Green Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:16 pm
A lot of products were announced at NAMM and are not seeing light of day. If it gets released in September, to me, thats normal and the usual average estimate of when products gets released after NAMM.

Just relax, use what you got and if you sold it, well at least you got your laptops :)
By jpeg Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 pm
rookie wrote:They may have let the cat out of the bag too soon, just to get to Namm, instead of perfecting the product first, another misfire. I may as well wait on the new Roland Mv X.

they was just building hype and doing a long promotion of the new units; much to every ones frustrations but I am sure by July the units will be in stores.

presently there is no new mv; that is a myth and it may well be the case that the next Roland sampler is an updated sp series, since that has been more of a consistent seller for Roland.

but again the screens on these Roland's are poor none of them is touching the touch/live or X
By otobot Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
otobot wrote:Sure it's on everything? I only see that it's valid for Fazley, LaPaz and Eno brands.

Maybe it depends on the country you live in.. I'm from the Netherlands and the discount is on everything..

They started to do it right the day after key music started their discounts. So I guess they are trying to overtrow them in the Netherlands..

Probably. On Bax-shop.de it does not work. On the .nl site on the other hand it does.... hm, dunno.. will they allow me to order from the .nl site when there is their German site?

zangetsu01 wrote:I couldn't resist the 10% discount offer, so I went ahead and preordered the 'X'. Now the real wait starts.. :popcorn:

Great deal man :nod:
By rookie Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm
jpeg wrote:
rookie wrote:They may have let the cat out of the bag too soon, just to get to Namm, instead of perfecting the product first, another misfire. I may as well wait on the new Roland Mv X.

they was just building hype and doing a long promotion of the new units; much to every ones frustrations but I am sure by July the units will be in stores.

presently there is no new mv; that is a myth and it may well be the case that the next Roland sampler is an updated sp series, since that has been more of a consistent seller for Roland.

but again the screens on these Roland's are poor none of them is touching the touch/live or X

Yeah I know there's no such thing as the MV X but, if it was I'M quite sure they will make a touchscreen and it would probably be crazy!