MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Wormhelmet Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:13 am
Analog synths are great. I have several. They give great sounds and knob twiddling is great. Sound design is a passion, but something people should keep in mind with analog and any synth for that matter - unless it is multitimbral, it is going to be used on one midi channel only.

Deepmind 12 is a 12 voice analog. System 8 is an 8 voice virtual analog. My Moog 32's each offer one voice for one midi channel. My minilogue is one midi channel, 4 voice analog. Modular, monophonic, one midi channel.

Synths like the Integra 7 module gives you 16 part multitmbral. Triton, Trinity, some JV series, Virus, all give 16 parts. Nord leads/racks are all 4 part. My Novation KS4 is 4 parts.

More parts = more midi channels. Like getting multiple synthesizers out of one synthesizer rather than a single synth as a single purchase.

This is impractical to do in analog for full 16 part multitimbrality, but quite easy in digital.

I like analog and digital and even hybrids. Including sample based romplers. As long as it sounds good, I like it. I just think there is tremendous value in multitimbral synths if you are sequencing multiple parts but want to keep the setup small. Like a good vst that is cpu efficient where you can run multiple instances even on a modest computer, ratyer than something like Diva which sounds amazing, but unless you are on some supercomputer, you are not going to be running 3 or 4 instances of it.
Last edited by Wormhelmet on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Sinamsis Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:20 am
I think it's Deepmind 12 (12 voices). But I don't recall if it's multi-timbral. The whole point is these MPC's would pair very well with a synth that can have several parts at the same time. To me, the Virus line seem the most bang for the buck in terms of VA specifically just because of the incredibly high voice count. I also happen to like programming them and the sound. If you wanted to go the analog route, I'd look at a DSI Tetra or two, or if you would consider a hybrid synth something like the Mutable Instruments Ambika (you'd need a builder, or to build it yourself). If you were willing to drop some serious cash the Modal 002 is an option, and comes in a few different variations if you want to save a little dough. I have an 008, and I have very mixed feelings about the company as a whole. Or if you want all analog, you could consider a Studio Electronic Code 8 or Omega 8. Ha, but the last few options come with a hefty price tag.

But this is getting a little off topic I guess. I personally hope the X's CV outs might spark some more interest in eurorack and other modular and semi-modular formats. I'm pretty stoked to get the MPC going with my eurorack system, both for sequencing and processing (actually probably process samples from the MPC through the modular as well). I recently snagged some CV to MIDI converters as well, both for note on/off and pitch, as well as 10 CCs. I can't wait to see how the MPC handles the incoming MIDI data.
By Wormhelmet Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:29 am
I suppose it is a little off topic but seems relevant because of no vst complaints on the standalone. I can't name any analogs that are 16 part multitimbral. Not that there might not be, but it would be rare and probably very very expensive.

My plan for portable setup was/is MPC Live or X and one integra 7, and one Virus Ti (why I already bought the Ti). This gives me 32 midi channel capability in two synths, with each channel capable of an entirely different sound out of the two synths. I would probably come close to running out of voices with all 32 channels going, but I definitely don't ever see myself using all 32 along with an awesome sampler/sequencer like the MPC. It covers a lot of ground sound-wise, stays within the budget I wanted, and keeps to minimal I/O use. In fact, the MPC has instrument inputs, the integra 7 has instrument inputs (to mix your other synth or sampler in 5.1 surround on it), and the Virus Ti has instrument inputs. I just need a small mixer or portable PA with minimal mixer, and I'm good to go with an arsenal of sound.
Last edited by Wormhelmet on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Chevytraveller Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:33 am
Wormhelmet wrote:This is impossible to do in analog, but quite easy in digital.

Just a point.. this is certainly not impossible to do in analogue.. there are a number of multi-timbral analogue synths.. it is rare due to the clever voice allocation needed but not impossible.
These machines support full multi-timbrality
Oberheim Xpander/Matrix 12
Cheetah MS6
SCI Multitrak
By Wormhelmet Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:36 am
Yes. Tetra, analog Keys, Analog Four, etc. architecture is more cumbersome so they generally are monosynth or low polyphony over small number of parts.

I should have clarified that by nearly impossible (more like unfeasable or unrealistic due to cost) in full 16 part, large voice count analog.

I edited impossible to impractical for full 16 part multitimbrality. Appreciate pointing that out so I could correct and clarify what I meant.
By Chevytraveller Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:54 am
Yeah.. the key difference is that an analogue voice needs an discrete set of voice components for each voice where as a digital system can produce them within the DSP.

There are many options for machines that offer the convenience of realtime control and programming but with the power and flexibility of digital systems..
The Virus is a very strong contender(very powerful sound engine) but also some very worthy offerings from Waldorf..
The old E-mu EOS samplers are well worth trying as you can pick them up very cheaply and they offer a lot of power and great filter options.

Just to get back on thread topic, I am very very excited by these new MPCs and if Akai have managed to get the software right, then these machines are the first ones really worthy of the MPC name for many years..
I am looking very closely at the live and could well replace my MPC1000 and Octatrack with one
By Coz Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:22 am
Wormhelmet wrote:I can't name any analogs that are 16 part multitimbral. Not that there might not be, but it would be rare and probably very very expensive.

Alesis Andromeda. :wink:
By Sinamsis Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 am
Coz wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:I can't name any analogs that are 16 part multitimbral. Not that there might not be, but it would be rare and probably very very expensive.

Alesis Andromeda. :wink:

My modular.... it hasn't been cheap. Haha. Although it's not completely analog either.

I'm also excited to see these new MPCs interact and bring life to older samplers. Recently found a SCI Prophet 2002 Plus for cheap. Getting it set up currently, but I can't wait to sequence it with the MPC. 8 voices, 8 parts multitimbral, analog VCF/VCAs. 12 bit sound. Should be fun!
By jahsoul Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:45 am
mr_debauch wrote:
greavous420 wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:it's stupid... we should be loading VSTs in our standalone samplers after all this time.. that shouldn't be a thousand dollar feature... they have 1GHz computers with 512 of DDR3 ram and 4gig flash storage for under 10 dollars... all on one little chip the size of a credit card.... when i started using VSTs back in the day my computer's specs were similar to that.

it's **** 9 bucks
https://getchip.com/pages/chip

Hahaha. That chip cannot run VSTs either. Nice try

nice try at what? it's **** 9 bucks.. the specs for under 10 bucks is close to a music machine i used over a decade ago (and ran plug ins) so the point is... why for 2 grand can't we get specs that can do the task in 2017.

arm processor or not.. what? do you think apple computers ran intels back in 2000?

Macs in 2000 ran Power PC CPUs with software built for the architecture. Specs don't mean a thing (especially with how the onslaught of ARM has skewed things); you had people using synthetic benchmarks saying that the iPad Pro outpaced an i5 from 2013. :?

What VSTs do you out there built ARM? Think about all these music apps for iPad that sucks in comparison to what you can do on a PC. The limitation is in the architecture and if Akai opened it up, it would be the responsibility of the developers to create the VSTs and then they would have to ask themselves is it worth it. That's like getting pissed at Microsoft because you can't install Logic X on Windows. *shrugs*
By cmscss Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:01 pm
Does anyone know if the X/Live is 24bit in standalone mode? I had this answered over at gearslutz but the reference was from a translated Italian article and I can't find another source, so was wondering if anyone here has seen this confirmed elsewhere?

From a translated Italian article: "When working without a computer with hardware X MPC and MPC Live projects can contain up to a maximum of 8 stereo audio tracks to 44.100Hz / 24-bit, while the computer based software, that is with the hardware in the controller mode supported audio tracks will be 128 (24bit / 96kHz)."

I'm also assuming that means 24bit for samples as well as audio tracks.
By markski Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:26 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I think it's fair enough that VSTs are not supported in standalone, I never expected them to support it. If you want to use VSTs in your projects, just get a studio or Touch, or use the Live or X in controller mode, the options are there. The standalone is just that, a standalone, a self contained machine like previous standalone machines, which will come with its own suit of effects tailored to its specific hardware.

It might be possible in the future for Akai to open them up to approved third party plugins, i.e. ones specifically coded for the MPCx/live that get approved by or licensed to Akai. But that all takes time and money to implement, you're all complaining about the retail price as it is!

All I expect in standalone mode is the same 'standard' MPC effects from the last generation hardware machines (2500/5000) and a simple synth. These and the built in Hybrid synth standalone mode would be sufficient IMHO. If I cant do as much as I can pre-mixing/mastering in the box then I might as well get a Touch etc.
By Icepulse Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:58 pm
markski wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:I think it's fair enough that VSTs are not supported in standalone, I never expected them to support it. If you want to use VSTs in your projects, just get a studio or Touch, or use the Live or X in controller mode, the options are there. The standalone is just that, a standalone, a self contained machine like previous standalone machines, which will come with its own suit of effects tailored to its specific hardware.

It might be possible in the future for Akai to open them up to approved third party plugins, i.e. ones specifically coded for the MPCx/live that get approved by or licensed to Akai. But that all takes time and money to implement, you're all complaining about the retail price as it is!

All I expect in standalone mode is the same 'standard' MPC effects from the last generation hardware machines (2500/5000) and a simple synth. These and the built in Hybrid synth standalone mode would be sufficient IMHO. If I cant do as much as I can pre-mixing/mastering in the box then I might as well get a Touch etc.

As per @MPC-Tutor:

Okay, so here's the plugins/effects included in the Live:

Air:
HYBRID 3
LOOM
VACUUM PRO
VELVET
XPAND.2
MiniGrand
DB33
theRiser
AIR FX Collection