MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fanu Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:15 pm
Still a lot of dudes disappointed that the modern MPC doesnt do the same "lofi magic" to your sound…
Thing is, it's not supposed. Not even the old machines were supposed to do that…they were designed to be as pristine as possible…only the old tech made 'em sound like that.
Peeps just gotta dirty it up a bit.
By Danoc Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:17 pm
lol Yo man you know we know how to make it grimey lol Like S1 is clean but I know how to make my boom bap real grimey if I wanted to. Im from NYC so the elements is in my head, plus its a dirty city so it will always be with me, lol :smoker: :-D

Ill-Green wrote:Betcha my beats will still sound grimey :mrgreen: Peeps were saying the same about the MV8800 of how the sound was "too clean" until they heard my album, I had tons of email asking how I got that sound, all I could say was "it came out that way".
By Ill-Green Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:58 pm
Fanu wrote:Still a lot of dudes disappointed that the modern MPC doesnt do the same "lofi magic" to your sound…
Thing is, it's not supposed. Not even the old machines were supposed to do that…they were designed to be as pristine as possible…only the old tech made 'em sound like that.
Peeps just gotta dirty it up a bit.

:lol: exactly, back in those days it was frowned upon to have a lo-fi sound, beats had to be a sparkling jewel. It wasn't until later around 97 to 2000 lo-fi began to make a genre for itself. Thus ushering in the myths about that lo-fi magic.

Danoc wrote:lol Yo man you know we know how to make it grimey lol Like S1 is clean but I know how to make my boom bap real grimey if I wanted to. Im from NYC so the elements is in my head, plus its a dirty city so it will always be with me, lol :smoker: :-D
Yup, its what you put in that makes the sound coming out. Peeps expecting magic when its pure work :nod:

I'm from NY too, chilling in PR for the last 20 years. Still, the New York never left me :smoker:
By kejlabal Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:17 pm
I don't agree with you.
On a MPC60/3000 or a SP12, when I saturate the inputs with a kick it doesn't crack or anything. It just sounds dope.

But I totally agree with the fact that what I hear when using the MPC studio is what I'll get in my DAW.
And this was not the case when I used mpc1k going through a soundcard.
By Ill-Green Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:49 pm
kejlabal wrote:I don't agree with you.
On a MPC60/3000 or a SP12, when I saturate the inputs with a kick it doesn't crack or anything. It just sounds dope.

But I totally agree with the fact that what I hear when using the MPC studio is what I'll get in my DAW.

Thats what Fanu was saying, those machines were once hi-fi machines but as time goes by you can hear its age because technology aged with it. You can go 24 bit@96kHz and still get that lo-fi kick.
By Icepulse Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:02 pm
Ill-Green wrote:
kejlabal wrote:I don't agree with you.

Thats what Fanu was saying, those machines were once hi-fi machines but as time goes by you can hear its age because technology aged with it. You can go 24 bit@96kHz and still get that lo-fi kick.

Or just do it my way!

By willisill Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:32 pm
Well my preorder for the Live from zzounds just got pushed back to April 3rd. Contemplating cancelling it and just pulling the trigger on Push 2. If they can't make Q1 happen, I have no faith they'll implement the things MPC needs in any type of reasonable timeframe.
By kaydigi Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:48 pm
willisill wrote:Well my preorder for the Live from zzounds just got pushed back to April 3rd. Contemplating cancelling it and just pulling the trigger on Push 2. If they can't make Q1 happen, I have no faith they'll implement the things MPC needs in any type of reasonable timeframe.

What a circus.
By Icepulse Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:49 pm
willisill wrote:Well my preorder for the Live from zzounds just got pushed back to April 3rd. Contemplating cancelling it and just pulling the trigger on Push 2. If they can't make Q1 happen, I have no faith they'll implement the things MPC needs in any type of reasonable timeframe.

Totally illogical.
By willisill Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:02 pm
Icepulse wrote:Totally illogical.

My reasoning is illogical or Akai's rollout is illogical? I'm just looking at how they've handled basically everything they've done in the last few years, and I'm starting to think dropping a g on the Live is a bad move. Do I really want to wait a year plus for PDC, sidechain, and portamento? This is stuff I use every single day. Standalone and battery power is cool, but I'm just over this company and their bs.