MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:53 am
I think it's fair enough that VSTs are not supported in standalone, I never expected them to support it. If you want to use VSTs in your projects, just get a studio or Touch, or use the Live or X in controller mode, the options are there. The standalone is just that, a standalone, a self contained machine like previous standalone machines, which will come with its own suit of effects tailored to its specific hardware.

It might be possible in the future for Akai to open them up to approved third party plugins, i.e. ones specifically coded for the MPCx/live that get approved by or licensed to Akai. But that all takes time and money to implement, you're all complaining about the retail price as it is!
By Fanu Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:57 am
Seems a lot of people who have been dreaming of a standalone now are disappointed that the standalone cannot match the CPU power of their computer or use VSTs.
And at the same time they criticize the price.

You just have to understand that if you implemented your regular computer tech on the MPC, it'd get old as quick as computers get old.
And it's easy to understand why they don't want the MPC to be a computer you can be upgrading all the time or which gets old in a year.
When you "force" the users to use its own proprietary in-the-MPC-box plugins, you ensure that you don't have to be answering users' questions as to why the MPC cannot run loads of latest analog emulation plugins or why it starts hiccuping under a heavier load.

Also, if it had the same power as your maxed-out computer has right now AND all the features of the MPC X, it'd be so expensive, it'd make the same people laugh.

Just gotta be realistic with these things.
By greavous420 Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:59 am
mr_debauch wrote:it's stupid... we should be loading VSTs in our standalone samplers after all this time.. that shouldn't be a thousand dollar feature... they have 1GHz computers with 512 of DDR3 ram and 4gig flash storage for under 10 dollars... all on one little chip the size of a credit card.... when i started using VSTs back in the day my computer's specs were similar to that.

it's **** 9 bucks
https://getchip.com/pages/chip

Hahaha. That chip cannot run VSTs either. Nice try
By Wormhelmet Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:02 pm
It is a risky move bringing out a standalone in 2017 many years after a whole lot of musicians/producers have become dependent on their vst's and ease of computer DAW's, but again, if you look carefully, there are a lot of people that have become disenchanted with ITB music creation and are buying up hardware and want to stay away from the computer based DAW workflow, or have it available as mastering only.

I popped over to gearslutz a little while ago and had to quit reading after 3rd page of a thread on the new MPC X though. Gotta say this site is chill as **** compared to the onslaught of know-it-alls over there. I don't need to read 6 paragraphs from some dickhead that is going to spiel on about how no one is interested in a standalone these days. Why post in a thread about a standalone if you know you have zero interest in it? I don't hop over to Ren threads going on and on about how much I don't like fancy controller only hardware. Particularly if I've never tried it but just have zero interest in it.

If it doesn't make sense to your own workflow there is an easy solution - don't buy it and be happy your own solution does work for you. If 8 audio tracks and zero vst support turns you off from buying the product, then say it and move on to threads about controllers + software in PC DAW's. Alright - now go ahead and flame. I know I'm new to this site.

:mrgreen:
By cmscss Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 pm
Icepulse wrote: No, Akai wants no foreign strain to infect the walled garden of their standalones

Exactly! Those of us who want a standalone want a walled garden, a pure MPC experience for super-fast, loop-based writing. And when finished, we dump it into a DAW for the next stage - polishing, mixing and mastering - right tool and all that.

Wormhelmet wrote:If it doesn't make sense to your own workflow there is an easy solution - don't buy it and be happy your own solution does work for you.

Totally agree, look at the features and work out where it fits for you. And if it doesn't, move on - right?
Last edited by cmscss on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:27 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:If it doesn't make sense to your own workflow there is an easy solution - don't buy it and be happy your own solution does work for you.

cmscss wrote:Those of who want a standalone want a walled garden, a pure MPC experience for super-fast, loop-based writing. And when finished, we dump it into a DAW for the next stage - polishing, mixing and mastering - right tool and all that.
Look at the features and work out where it fits for you. And if it doesn't, move on - right?

Agree 100%. You two, please stick around :)
By Fanu Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:47 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:I popped over to gearslutz a little while ago and had to quit reading after 3rd page of a thread on the new MPC X though. Gotta say this site is chill as **** compared to the onslaught of know-it-alls over there. I don't need to read 6 paragraphs from some dickhead that is going to spiel on about how no one is interested in a standalone these days.

Yeah, makes me think, why on earth are there so many guys now going into lengthy explanations on why a standalone isn't worth it. If it's not for you, cool – no need to try and tell others about it. It's not like you're going to convert them into your way of working or thinking.
I'm not going on Fruity Loops forums telling people not sticking to pattern-based workflow works so much better (for me).
By mr_debauch Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:04 pm
greavous420 wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:it's stupid... we should be loading VSTs in our standalone samplers after all this time.. that shouldn't be a thousand dollar feature... they have 1GHz computers with 512 of DDR3 ram and 4gig flash storage for under 10 dollars... all on one little chip the size of a credit card.... when i started using VSTs back in the day my computer's specs were similar to that.

it's **** 9 bucks
https://getchip.com/pages/chip

Hahaha. That chip cannot run VSTs either. Nice try

nice try at what? it's **** 9 bucks.. the specs for under 10 bucks is close to a music machine i used over a decade ago (and ran plug ins) so the point is... why for 2 grand can't we get specs that can do the task in 2017.

arm processor or not.. what? do you think apple computers ran intels back in 2000?
By zangetsu01 Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:27 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
nice try at what? it's **** 9 bucks.. the specs for under 10 bucks is close to a music machine i used over a decade ago (and ran plug ins) so the point is... why for 2 grand can't we get specs that can do the task in 2017.

arm processor or not.. what? do you think apple computers ran intels back in 2000?

If you don't like the new MPC's than good for you nobody is forcing you to.. :popcorn:

Me..?? I'm selling my MPC Touch, MPC 2500 & Trackmaster Platinum Cause I'm getting the 'X'. :worthy:
By cmscss Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:22 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:If you don't like the new MPC's than good for you nobody is forcing you to.. :popcorn:

Me..?? I'm selling my MPC Touch, MPC 2500 & Trackmaster Platinum Cause I'm getting the 'X'. :worthy:

I'm with you, after costing up refurbished MPCs and getting a higher price than the MPC Live, these standalone MPCs are the right instruments at the right time for me :smoker:
By alexbuga Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:45 pm
A while ago I wanted my MPC1K with JJOS2XL to have more polyphony and a battery.

Not only did Akai gave me that. They slapped a touch screen in there too. And much more...

So yeah, take my money now.
PS: It's already on preorder at Thomann. I'm dying to get my hands on it and sample some guitar licks into it.
By mr_debauch Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:27 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:

If you don't like the new MPC's than good for you nobody is forcing you to.. :popcorn:

who said i don't like the new mpcs? so far in my opinion these are the best ones i've seen numark make to date.

by the way, if you don't like what i'm posting here on the forum... nobody is forcing you to read my posts.. there is a FOE list you can add me too.. in case i offend you when i'm even the slightest bit critical..
By jpeg Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:14 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:

Im sure a week ago u was cursing u hated akai now u 'hum doo allah'
By DannyBmpc Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:37 pm
Everyone is complaining that there are no vsts?? Did you really expect it to host VST or AU? 2.0 is its own operating system. They are not saying you cant run VSTs they are saying that companies will have to port over their software to the 2.0 OS which is not an easy feat. If the hardware units do become popular you can assume that a lot of companies will start porting over their vsts to mpc format. But lets be honest... did you all really expect this machine to be able to do all your mixing and mastering as well?
By Icepulse Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:47 pm
DannyBmpc wrote:Everyone is complaining that there are no vsts?? Did you really expect it to host VST or AU? 2.0 is its own operating system. They are not saying you cant run VSTs they are saying that companies will have to port over their software to the 2.0 OS which is not an easy feat. If the hardware units do become popular you can assume that a lot of companies will start porting over their vsts to mpc format. But lets be honest... did you all really expect this machine to be able to do all your mixing and mastering as well?

2.0 is its own OS?

2.0 is a software application. There's some modified OS on these devices, but it isn't MPC 2.0.

If that were the case, then you couldn't run VSTs on the desktop software, either.