MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Chillin Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:25 am
zangetsu01 wrote:What can you do with CV/Gate..?? Is it some sort of midi or can you see it as an additional audio output..?? And what happend to Spdif..?? That protocol could easily handle multiple outputs over just one cable. Or is it an outdated protocol?

"CV/gate (an abbreviation of control voltage/gate) is an analog method of controlling synthesizers, drum machines and other similar equipment with external sequencers. The control voltage typically controls pitch and the gate signal controls note on-off.

This method was widely used in the epoch of analog modular synthesizers, beginning in the 1960s and up to the early 1980s.[1][2] It was mostly superseded by the MIDI protocol, which is more feature-rich, easier to configure reliably, and more easily supports polyphony.[3] The advent of digital synthesizers also made it possible to store and retrieve voice "patches" - eliminating patch cables[4] and (for the most part) control voltages.[5] However, numerous companies – including Doepfer, who designed a modular system for Kraftwerk in 1992[6] Buchla, MOTM, Analogue Systems, and others continue to manufacture modular synthesizers that are increasingly popular and rely primarily on analog CV/gate signals for communication. Additionally, some recent non-modular synthesizers (such as the Alesis Andromeda) and many effects devices (including the Moogerfooger pedals by Moog as well as many guitar oriented devices) include CV/gate connectivity. Many modern studios use a hybrid of MIDI and CV/gate to allow synchronization of older and newer equipment."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV/gate
By bobbybland Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:40 am
How many bugs are they releasing with 2.0?
By willisill Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:44 am
Wormhelmet wrote:
If you can't work without vst's and plugin fx, then the Ren, Studio, or Touch still should be fine. It doesn't sound like a product you need though. I don't think they are trying to get converts to standalone. Probably trying to get the group of people sick of dependency on vst's and third party plugins and all the mayhem the ever updating PC's and Mac's do that breaks the software or causes long wait times between updates.

Def not for me at those price points and with the way they handled the Touch/2.0 release. People liked Push 2 bc it didn't have them staring at the computer screen clicking a mouse, but yet they still complain when they can't do exactly what they were doing on the computer with the hardware lol. These mpc's definitely aren't some boutique niche products for the nostalgic producer. They're modern but, imo, lacking what other DAWs have. I think the new MPC hardware is forward thinking, but i think the software has miles to go. I guess i'll have a better idea when i see 2.0 in its entirety.
By Bain Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:51 am
It's kind of weird that the 2.0 software has been put in the background behind all the Standalone hardware fanfare. 2.0 was promised months ago and no video was released that really shows the audio tracks in action. I'd love to see some editing and arranging done in 2.0 software.

Can audio tracks be recorded from the arrange view like other daws? Is there audio quantizing?
Last edited by Bain on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By pk1 Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:58 am
^ +1

this is what I'm talking about. enough with the new toys. lets get back focused on what really matters here. The MPC Software.
so again.. Price for upgrade? with out the speculations and when will it be available to download. "ships with new units" doesn't cut it.
By Icepulse Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:01 am
pk1 wrote:^ +1

this is what I'm talking about. enough with the new toys. lets get back focused on what really matters here. The MPC Software.
so again.. Price for upgrade? with out the speculations and when will it be available to download. "ships with new units" doesn't cut it.

In other words, what matters to YOU. :lol:

People have been clamoring for a new line of standalone devices from Akai since the went the controller-only route w/ the Ren. This is for those people.
By Bain Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:38 am
Does this functionality exist in the software yet or is it just a mockup? I would love to see this working in a vid. This is how I thought the audio tracks were going to be implemented. I've seen 2 audio track videos so far they they have avoided this arrange view.
By Living Bate Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:03 pm
Icepulse wrote:
In other words, what matters to YOU. :lol:

People have been clamoring for a new line of standalone devices from Akai since the went the controller-only route w/ the Ren. This is for those people.

yeh but to be fair, 2.0 was announced nearly a year ago.....

this should also be about the people that were waiting solely on that....
By eclipxe Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:04 pm
bigpoppapump wrote:what will they cool the cpu with it will sound like a underpowered turbine ala ps4
if its out in march
am getting a nintendo switch instead

The processor is a mobile-class chip. You won't have heat like a console with dedicated gpus