MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Ill-Green Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:16 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
massika wrote:Questions I Have
1) What is the Bit rate and Sample rate of both devices, and will they work as an audio interface in controller mode like the Ren and Touch?
2) Can you install and run Vst's in Standalone Mode?
3) Will 2.0 be a free upgrade for current Mpc Touch owners?
4) In standalone mode what operating system is being use? ex. windows, linux, ect.
5) Can external audio interfaces be connected to the usb 3 slots to expand the i/o?

1) You'd expect it to
2) no - this has already been asked and answered
3) supposedly
4) not windows (official), probably linux. However it doesn't actually matter, it's a closed system and you won't have access.

For 1, I think Dan said it'll be [email protected]
By b-righteous Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:15 pm
I think this has been asked but do they plan on making a more affordable controller only version of the X without the on board computer and audio interface?

Also concerned about the Q-link strips on the X. This was a major improvement imo to put the OLED above the Q-links for feedback. However, the text seems really tiny on all the pics to the point that it is almost unreadable. Any chance the small OLED's inside the glass strips will be made a little bigger on production models so it's more readable?
By zangetsu01 Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:19 pm
b-righteous wrote:I think this has been asked but do they plan on making a more affordable controller only version of the X without the on board computer and audio interface?

Also concerned about the Q-link strips on the X. This was a major improvement imo to put the OLED above the Q-links for feedback. However, the text seems really tiny on all the pics to the point that it is almost unreadable. Any chance the small OLED's inside the glass strips will be made a little bigger on production models so it's more readable?

Take a look at the picture at sweetwater, try to hover with your mouse over the picture (for the OLED screen):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPCX
By b-righteous Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:35 pm
Thanks. That zoomed view is slightly larger than real scale on my computer screen and I still have to focus to read some of the text. Some text is not clear at a quick glance as it should be.

It does not show in that particular pic but in other pics there are 16 individual OLEDs inside the 4 long strips with a lot of black unused space around them. Does not look like they used 4 long strips but 16 tiny ones. There seems to be some room to make those bigger. Keep in mind that I do not need glasses to see small text as my eyesight is quite good. This is a usability issue if the feedback is not apparent at a quick glance. I imaging those with poor sight would not be able to make out the labels.
By Living Bate Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:22 pm
dunno if this has already been asked / answered but I am genuinely curious......

can you do everything the machine is capable of doing without using the touch screen?.......like, is it possible for the screen to just be a screen?
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:42 pm
Living Bate wrote:can you do everything the machine is capable of doing without using the touch screen?.......like, is it possible for the screen to just be a screen?

That's a good question, and I think it depends on the model. As the Live has the same hardware controls as the Touch, then no, you have to use the touch screen to select (some) parameters in order to make them editable. Some parameters are mapped to Q links, so those don't need selecting first.

They might have improved things in 2.0, but certainly in 1.9 there are some parameters in most modes that are not controllable by Q Links.For example in sample edit; ' tune', root note, 'from bpm', loop slices, loop lock and link slices are not assigned to qlinks so you have to touch those to change them.

As the X has the 'traditional' 4 way cursor buttons, I suspect every parameter can be selected just like you would on a legacy MPC, so the touch screen doesn't need to be used.
By Zplane ROC Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:51 pm
Ill-Green wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:
massika wrote:Questions I Have
1) What is the Bit rate and Sample rate of both devices, and will they work as an audio interface in controller mode like the Ren and Touch?
2) Can you install and run Vst's in Standalone Mode?
3) Will 2.0 be a free upgrade for current Mpc Touch owners?
4) In standalone mode what operating system is being use? ex. windows, linux, ect.
5) Can external audio interfaces be connected to the usb 3 slots to expand the i/o?

1) You'd expect it to
2) no - this has already been asked and answered
3) supposedly
4) not windows (official), probably linux. However it doesn't actually matter, it's a closed system and you won't have access.

For 1, I think Dan said it'll be [email protected]

The big PDF just released to retailers says that in stand-alone you can record 44.1k 24 bit. WHen recording in Controller mode into MPC Software you can record 96k 24 bit. The spec chart still doesn't like the actual ADDA convertors used inside the MPCx as far as potential sample/bit rate and Db noise ratings... Not sure why not.
By jahsoul Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:31 am
My questions all relate to the standalone mode:

*What will be the polyphony and max sequencer events?
*Can it be used in Audio Interface mode while still being in Standalone? (Audio and Midi over USB3 for those who still use some programs in Standalone mode. Emulator X3 tied to those QLinks)

*Since it looks like we can't upgrade the internal drive, what would be the bus speed of the SD Card Slot?

I might have more later after some sleep..lol
By Living Bate Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:43 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
As the X has the 'traditional' 4 way cursor buttons, I suspect every parameter can be selected just like you would on a legacy MPC, so the touch screen doesn't need to be used.

If this is the case then I think it would be the final tick in the box for me in terms of features.......and as long as its stable I can safely say that one day I will own an X

but vice versa, if it is not the case I seriously doubt I will bother.......I really don't want to go down that road....
By Fanu Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:51 am
Not sure if these were posted yet; a Finnish store uploaded comprehensive tech specs PDFs on the devices as well as 2.0.

MPC Live - Product Overview, Technical Specifications & FAQs
http://www.soundtools.fi/images/pro_aud ... %20FAQ.pdf

MPC X - Product Overview, Technical Specifications & FAQs
http://www.soundtools.fi/images/pro_aud ... %20FAQ.pdf

...and if you're in Finland, get them at
http://www.soundtools.fi/verkkokauppa/o ... -live-info
Last edited by Fanu on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:51 am
Living Bate wrote:but vice versa, if it is not the case I seriously doubt I will bother.......I really don't want to go down that road....

I would say that's one of the real benefits of the touchscreen for me, rapidly selecting parameters before editing with the data wheel. I don't miss the cursor keys at all on the Touch. TBH I couldn't care less for the pinch and zoom editing, it's pretty clunky and laggy, although that might improve now that these are standalone.
By jahsoul Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:52 am
Living Bate wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:

If this is the case then I think it would be the final tick in the box for me in terms of features.......and as long as its stable I can safely say that one day I will own an X

but vice versa, if it is not the case I seriously doubt I will bother.......I really don't want to go down that road....

Same here. I've never liked the idea of a touch screen for work but I would love to have that real estate.
By zangetsu01 Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:54 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Living Bate wrote:but vice versa, if it is not the case I seriously doubt I will bother.......I really don't want to go down that road....

I would say that's one of the real benefits of the touchscreen for me, rapidly selecting parameters before editing with the data wheel. I don't miss the cursor keys at all on the Touch. TBH I couldn't care less for the pinch and zoom editing, it's pretty clunky and laggy, although that might improve now that these are standalone.

But the cursor key will be a quick way to jump between bars. Thats why I miss them on the Touch.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:00 am
Okay, so here's the plugins/effects included in the Live:

Air:

HYBRID 3
LOOM
VACUUM PRO
VELVET
XPAND.2
MiniGrand
DB33
theRiser
AIR FX Collection