MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Blue Monster 65 Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:59 am
Not sure if this is where I should put this or not, but here goes ...

Until just a few hours ago, the Digitakt wasn't even on my radar, but after watching the video below, it's definitely caught my eye/ear.

Never had an MPC, but the Live has me wanting one, but now ... I don't know! Anyone do any thing similar to the stuff at the beginning/middle of this video with an MPC? Or ... ? I dunno ... just kind of neat mucking about on it, really.

Here 'tis:

UPDATE: And this one, too? Wow!

Can this sort of thing be done natively on an MPC?
By Ill-Green Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:54 am
Depends on your needs. One is a mono sampling and no velocity machine, while the other is a stereo sampling and velocity sensitive machine.

I couldn't decide myself, so I preordered both to try them out, but I have a feeling the Digitakt will be the one full of surprises and interesting.
By zangetsu01 Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 am
This would never suit my needs.. It's 2017 so I need a clear way of seeing what I'm doing and need to see where I'm at in my project. The mpc's at least offer us a grid view. what I'm still missing is a project overview like in a daw.
By Fanu Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:54 am
I'm definitely interested in both.

Good to understand that what's nice about Elektron gear is the parameter locking: you can easily lock changes to your sound/sample to the step.
That kind of inspires new things.
Cannot be done with the MPC.
By Blue Monster 65 Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:48 pm
Fanu wrote:Good to understand that what's nice about Elektron gear is the parameter locking: you can easily lock changes to your sound/sample to the step.
That kind of inspires new things.
Cannot be done with the MPC.

Yeah - that's what's fun with Elektron gear; they're like an EMX pumped up on steroids and beer. Just never cared for no polyphony nor really the sound (tho the AR is nice).

We'll see, I guess. I believe there's currently no song mode on the Digitrakt, which is a deal-breaker for me.
By Coz Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:22 pm
The Digitakt suffers from the same issues that most of their other boxes do (IMO). Namely, the endless button bashing and encoder spinning. It looks more like a data input device rather than a musical instrument.

That said, Cenk makes it shine and you can see it has got a lot of depth. The overdrive sounds great but the reverb started to annoy me when I was listening with headphones last night.

I think the much fairer comparison would be the OP-1 Vs Digitakt. :popcorn:
By Fanu Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:38 pm
No song mode for Digitakt = I'm out.
Been on the fence between Live and Digitakt, but that does it for me.
I love programming sequences and stringing them together.
Well, this makes the decision easy.
I already have an Octatrack anyways, and I love the programming aspect (and it has song mode).
By richie Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:37 am
Spend your money on a good sound card and start using Ableton or any other DAW.