MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kaydigi Mon May 08, 2017 7:35 pm
traxxspace wrote:
awesome! i figure either 1tb or maybe a 2tb internal but that is a TON of space...
i won't be moving mine out of my house so i'm not so worried about transporting it. basically moving from the studio to the couch for farting around.

In my 1000 I had a 160HDD in it, and I took it with me almost everyday for 6 years. I never had problem with it, I ran it on portable power on lunch breaks and stuff.

We'll see!!!
By marctronixx Mon May 08, 2017 10:41 pm
just get a 250gb samsung ssd. they are like 120 ish bux or some such. keep the HD for long term storage of things you may not use much. plug that up externally. boom. done.
By Blue Monster 65 Tue May 09, 2017 1:03 am
I ended up sticking a Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD in mine. Roughly $95 shipped. I figure if I somehow end up running out of room, I can swap it out later for a bigger one and use it for photos or something.

I formatted mine before sticking it into the Live. First time I tried to hook the Live up to the computer (MacBook Pro, 2011), it didn't show up. Tried it again, starting it up before plugging it in and away it went.
By kaydigi Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 am
traxxspace wrote:
awesome! i figure either 1tb or maybe a 2tb internal but that is a TON of space...
i won't be moving mine out of my house so i'm not so worried about transporting it. basically moving from the studio to the couch for farting around.

Get an SSD. The HDD only stops spinning when the units goes into screen saver mode. The same goes for external HDD's also.
By Ill-Green Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 am
marctronixx wrote:just get a 250gb samsung ssd. they are like 120 ish bux or some such. keep the HD for long term storage of things you may not use much. plug that up externally. boom. done.

:nod: exactly what I plan to do. I really don't need that big of storage. I got 40GB on my MV and still have not filled it up yet and I have it since 2009. I'm leaving the terabytes to the big studio cats :-D
By lessavyfav Wed May 10, 2017 1:24 am
Hi! Glad to have found this forum. I just got my MPC Live and am digging in deep. In my search for a way to get the thing to mount up as a hard drive so I can drag files in I installed a HD. It mounts all right but in read only mode...

For anyone that's installed a drive- is it mounting and working normally for dragging files into it? I'm on a mac most recent OS. If so I'll assume it's my drive or something. If not, what it that all about?

Thanks!
By Dj Bo Wed May 10, 2017 6:16 pm
What I want to do is be able to back up new projects fast from the Live's internal sata drive (put in the back of the unit) to my mac. When in controller mode can you back a list of projects instead of having to load a project 1 by one 1 and saving them? Better would be drag and drop of course, if the internal drive shows up on my desktop. I'm not planning on using 2.0 so that would be best.
Thanks
By Dj Bo Wed May 10, 2017 6:32 pm
Or what would be a fast way, without using 2.0: Install the internal sata and plug in an external hd to the Live and back up the content from the internal sata to the external drive. You wouldn't even need a computer. Is that possible? And can you select multiple projects to back up?
thanks
Bo
By stale bread Thu May 11, 2017 7:54 am
stale bread wrote:What kind of sad drives are you all getting, Sata 2 or Sata 3 ???
And are there any other important things to look out for?

I meant to say what kind of sata drive, is compatible with the mpc live sata 2 or sata 3 ?
By tigrhawk Sat May 13, 2017 9:49 am
threw in a 250gb ssd and have plenty storage for the moment. formatted as exFAT before installing or you can format while connected to computer in controller mode; and plus side of ssd vs spindle drive is weight seeing that the stock Live as already a bit beefy for carrying around, plus faster r/w access
By Eyalc Sat May 13, 2017 4:41 pm
I have a 1Tb SSD in the Live.

Periodically, after some time not accessing the drive (usually while I'm sequencing / composing), I'll attempt to access the SSD again and get the following error: "Please eject EFI before disconnecting. failure to eject safely may result in loss of data. I'm using a Crucial MX300. Once the error clears I no longer see the SSD in the list of Places. The only way to get it back is to reboot the MPC.

Anyone else see this happen?
By marctronixx Sat May 13, 2017 5:19 pm
have had the live for 11 days with a samsung 250gb and not ever seen that error. i have the ssd formatted ntfs with the largest file allocation the computer i formatted it in would allow. used quick format. i have saved a lot of samples from my s950 library plus i have about 4gb of data from other things.

that sounds like a MAC os error. you are probably a mac user yea? is the live in controller mode or connected to the computer but not in controller mode (i.e. not running the mpc software but live is still conected to computer)?

should not happen in standalone unless your ssd is faulty. re-seat the sata connector to the ssd. if this still happens, use another format or rung a diag utility to test your ssd.
By Eyalc Sat May 13, 2017 11:43 pm
marctronixx wrote:have had the live for 11 days with a samsung 250gb and not ever seen that error. i have the ssd formatted ntfs with the largest file allocation the computer i formatted it in would allow. used quick format. i have saved a lot of samples from my s950 library plus i have about 4gb of data from other things.

that sounds like a MAC os error. you are probably a mac user yea? is the live in controller mode or connected to the computer but not in controller mode (i.e. not running the mpc software but live is still conected to computer)?

should not happen in standalone unless your ssd is faulty. re-seat the sata connector to the ssd. if this still happens, use another format or rung a diag utility to test your ssd.

Great thoughts. I use a mac, but this is in standalone mode. I'll try re-seating the sata connector. then if not will try reformatting. Appreciate the recommendations.