MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CFM01 Fri May 19, 2017 9:32 pm
Thought I better pre-order mine while it is still £799 - paid a 10% deposit at djkit.com and a nice man phoned saying he had spoken to Akai and they expect them to be in around 2nd June. I ask about the price as I'd seen it higher and he said because I'd pre-ordered, if it went up, they would honor at orginal price. Just looked now £969!

In-fact, it's starting to get harder to find at £799!
http://www.fairdealmusic.co.uk/akai-mpc ... oC0F_w_wcB

Is about the only place I can find it at £799.
By jpeg Fri May 19, 2017 11:08 pm
JeriKo Jackson wrote:
Loosecaboose wrote:Australia price hike of $200AUD

I'm not seeing this. The Live was listed @ 1599 AUD since early April at kosmic and storedj and still is.

prolly means that the oz release date is not imminent; when the price go up that the signal that the unit is about to be released.
By AkaiProAU Thu May 25, 2017 7:28 am
jpeg wrote:[
prolly means that the oz release date is not imminent; when the price go up that the signal that the unit is about to be released.

It has nothing to do with this.
Our Live's went from $1499 to $1599 a couple of months back. X's went from $2499 to $2899.

The reason for all of these price rises is an attempt at worldwide parity. There were markets outside of the US that had cheaper pricing, Akai is just trying to make it a level international playing field.
By zangetsu01 Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 am
AkaiProAU wrote:
jpeg wrote:[

It has nothing to do with this.
Our Live's went from $1499 to $1599 a couple of months back. X's went from $2499 to $2899.

The reason for all of these price rises is an attempt at worldwide parity. There were markets outside of the US that had cheaper pricing, Akai is just trying to make it a level international playing field.

Than why raise the price in our fields instead of lowering the price in other fields? :popcorn:
By d2ba Thu May 25, 2017 7:54 am
Yep exactly I think the US Distributor was at a disadvantage compared to Europe and probably raised concerns over potential parallel imports
By jpeg Thu May 25, 2017 8:05 am
zangetsu01 wrote:
Than why raise the price in our fields instead of lowering the price in other fields? :popcorn:

Greed accoridng to a UK retailer, they have stated that the price rise was demand driven.

Also akai could of figured out the price parity before announcing the price at NAMM, so da fact they they repeatedly said £799 means they were certain about the price , but then greed kicked in
By CFM01 Thu May 25, 2017 6:46 pm
I pre-ordered mine just in time, 4 hours later it would have been £969 instead of £799. I think it will be interesting to see how many MPC Live's retailers sell at this higher price. If I was a going to buy at £799 I'd think is about right but would certainly be having second thoughts at £170 more. I'd say most of the current sales are preorders.

I can see future discounts been offered in a few months time...
By jpeg Thu May 25, 2017 10:12 pm
CFM01 wrote:I pre-ordered mine just in time, 4 hours later it would have been £969 instead of £799. I think it will be interesting to see how many MPC Live's retailers sell at this higher price. If I was a going to buy at £799 I'd think is about right but would certainly be having second thoughts at £170 more. I'd say most of the current sales are preorders.

I can see future discounts been offered in a few months time...

u was very luck to pre-order today at the original price
By jpeg Thu May 25, 2017 10:13 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Dropping the price in the US market would have easily solved any parity problem rather than raising it 20% for every other country on the planet.

It's a ballsy move, especially considering the Live is still shipping with a public beta and a rather hefty list of missing features.

is it ballsy? i think its greed
By Mink Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:01 pm
I know I'm late to this party but I'm royally pissed off about this, regardless of the 'rationale'

Wanted to upgrade to the Live when released, although even at £799 it was a big sell as functionally, it doesn't really offer me massive benefits over my existing setup. Convinced myself I would buy though, and the only reason I didn't pre-order was because I broke my hand so usage would be minimal for a few weeks and with Akai's notoriously poor release schedule it wasn't clear if/when it would arrive.

Also my bonus at work wasn't due until this month.

So now looking to place my order I see that they have increased the price by 20% on the eve of release!

No way can I justify this at basically £1k. No way at all. And raising the price at the last minute is either cynical or incompetent from Akai.

Now I have no choice. I will stand pat with my current MPC Studio setup, purchase 2.0 when available and maybe look more into something like Push 2 to supplement my setup. By the time any price drop arrives on these units, there may be other things in the pipeline from NI or others.

As a hip-hop head, I've always had a soft spot for Akai, And were happy to stick with them despite some dodgy quality issues and hobbling of features (such as MIDI mapping Q-Links to use with other Akai controllers). But I feel really aggrieved at this move. And I think I'm just about done with Akai now.

The MPC is the centrepiece of my setup but critically I am not immersed in an Akai eco-system to which it is only one component. They are not Apple. I'm not tied in. This 11th hour price rise is just disgusting and is a middle finger to their loyal customers.