MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By TheUnfuckwithable Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:41 pm
Mink wrote:And I think I'm just about done with Akai now.

The MPC is the centrepiece of my setup but critically I am not immersed in an Akai eco-system to which it is only one component. They are not Apple. I'm not tied in. This 11th hour price rise is just disgusting and is a middle finger to their loyal customers.

:nod:
By jpeg Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:48 pm
Mink wrote:Wanted to upgrade to the Live when released, although even at £799 it was a big sell as functionally, it doesn't really offer me massive benefits over my existing setup.

true but it is more enjoyable to use and there is a convenience aspect to this.

Mink wrote: didn't pre-order was because I broke my hand so usage would be minimal for a few weeks and with Akai's notoriously poor release schedule it wasn't clear if/when it would arrive.

Also my bonus at work wasn't due until this month.

So now looking to place my order I see that they have increased the price by 20% on the eve of release!

No way can I justify this at basically £1k. No way at all. And raising the price at the last minute is either cynical or incompetent from Akai.

yup u **** up I did not pre-order till a week before release; lucky got the £799 price, but consider the difference in only about £160 odd.

Mink wrote:
No way can I justify this at basically £1k. No way at all. And raising the price at the last minute is either cynical or incompetent from Akai.

Now I have no choice. I will stand pat with my current MPC Studio setup, purchase 2.0 when available and maybe look more into something like Push 2 to supplement my setup. By the time any price drop arrives on these units, there may be other things in the pipeline from NI or others.

As a hip-hop head, I've always had a soft spot for Akai, And were happy to stick with them despite some dodgy quality issues and hobbling of features (such as MIDI mapping Q-Links to use with other Akai controllers). But I feel really aggrieved at this move. And I think I'm just about done with Akai now.

The MPC is the centrepiece of my setup but critically I am not immersed in an Akai eco-system to which it is only one component. They are not Apple. I'm not tied in. This 11th hour price rise is just disgusting and is a middle finger to their loyal customers.

the price will go down eventually prolly end of this year early next year but as u said by then they're may be better options available but im sure maschine studio was around £900 when it was first released so any new hardware from other guys is likley to be a similar price to the mpc live, so u may end up spending more in the long run if ur gonna buy 2.0 when it drops then buy ableton or some other product later.