MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Mikepepp2004 Wed May 24, 2017 5:21 pm
Be glad you guys did not get the pioneer sp16 .limitation after limitation its a lambo
Body with a Yugo, le car,engine so much deceptive advertising. Production workstation my arse .
By Lampdog Thu May 25, 2017 9:20 pm
**** wrote:
jpers wrote:Do we really need this new mpcs ???? :hmmm:

Nope!

Yes.

You stop evolving you go extinct.

*coin flipside*

You repeately fail, you go extinct.
By tsutek Fri May 26, 2017 9:57 am
Dunno about you, but I had been waiting on the new models since 5 years. I am glad they are finally here.

Having said that, I'm not gonna be selling my 4k.. But I have no use for it right now. It can be refurbished to museum conditions and placed into a statis container for future generations.
By jpeg Sat May 27, 2017 12:17 pm
had this for 20 minutes and already this feels way more enjoyable and inspiring than the mpc1k (which was the last standalone mpc I had)

until u get one u dont realize how freeing it is to be able to work without being connected to the computer.

i was a naysayer about the whole standalone but there is a psychological impact of not having to turn on the pc to make beats but to have all the features of live and a nice big touch screen.

makes all the other units look stoneage
By ringmaker Mon May 29, 2017 9:05 am
hell yeah!

my 2500 is busted and i don't wanna go back and give up all the jjos features. i'm sure the x/live sounds better than the 1000/2500. well let's say neutral. obviously not as characterful as a 60/3000 but the 2500 really sounded like shit tbh. neutral otoh is ok with me because i have a lot of outboard character and lofi stuff. AND i expect a even faster workflow with the new machines.
By wavemartian Mon May 29, 2017 10:03 am
1000/2500 worked well for percussion/drums, but as soon as you start to add other elements it sounds a bit off , I always used the individual outs to a multitracker, where you can compress/eq and add effects. Now if you could have the jj seq with a superior sound quality... its amazing to think what was possible in a 2003 machine, and how akai stopped short of developing it further. JJ evolved this into such an efficient workflow. The new akai clearly are charging you almost double for the mpc X for the privilege of old style buttons and knobs, with no extra horsepower, and is essentially the same as the live, I'm following the ongoing saga, and will wait until I can demo alive/x. I don't know why there is such a thirst for "quick workflow", I'm more interested in connected/integrated workflow.
By starmanwarz Mon May 29, 2017 10:11 am
wavemartian wrote:The new akai clearly are charging you almost double for the mpc X for the privilege of old style buttons and knobs, with no extra horsepower, and is essentially the same as the live, I'm following the ongoing saga, and will wait until I can demo alive/x. I don't know why there is such a thirst for "quick workflow", I'm more interested in connected/integrated workflow.

I couldn't agree more.
By jpeg Mon May 29, 2017 10:41 am
jjos still had the limits of the 80's screen; now if jjos coulds come in overhaul the touchscreen interface i'm all for it; but i just wanna work on a monochrome screen in 2017.

but that would be great if upon boot up u get a choice between jjos mode and native akai mode that would be awesome.
By Unreallystic Tue May 30, 2017 6:44 pm
Workflow speed boils down to three things,
1) Not losing the ideas as they pour out as they come really fast for me...
2) Banging out as many songs as I can as quickly as possible to keep up with the trapaholics
3) I'm a family man, time is of the essence. I can get a good loop with details built in 5-10 minutes no problem right now on the Live, if it feels like a go, then it takes me another 15 to convert to a full song (additional details not withstanding tho). So that means when my wife says *like tonight* that she'll have the kids after swim practice and I can get an hour and a half to myself, fam - that's like 4+ full songs I can get out. compared to Reason which was twice as long as a minimum for me, that means I'd only get 2 songs out. big delta. I admit its not so much compared to Ableton, Ableton is only slower because I tweak more and play my synths out instead of doing such a percussive heavy styling that I do with the MPC.

You got to get it in when you can without losing ideas, and having something that gets in the way because of interface or menu diving really blows that process up (sorry Reason, I loved you, but so many ideas were lost)
-Unreall
By AkaiProAU Wed May 31, 2017 12:40 am
wavemartian wrote:The new akai clearly are charging you almost double for... essentially the same as the live

inMusic acquired Akai Professional 12-years ago. It's not really that new, is it? :wink:
Perhaps some of the processing power is the same, but the X is still drastically different to the Live in terms of hardware, controls and features. That screen alone is big selling point. Expanded controls and monitoring, OLED's, I/O etc.

If it's not for you, and you'd prefer the Live - I get it, I'd imagine most people will swing towards the Live. I personally love the rechargeable battery and portability of the Live. But I think it's a stretch to say the X is "essentially the same as the Live".
By chino Wed May 31, 2017 2:25 am
AkaiProAU wrote:Perhaps some of the processing power is the same, but the X is still drastically different to the Live in terms of hardware, controls and features. That screen alone is big selling point. Expanded controls and monitoring, OLED's, I/O etc.

The added hardware, controls & features on the MPC X do NOT justify the price difference of an extra $1000+ USD. I would expect that since the MPC X is Akai's 'Flagship', then it would include a faster processor and additional RAM (e.g. - 2.5 quad core 4GB RAM processor). THAT would help justify the steep price difference!!

Instead, Akai chose to save $$$ by giving the MPC X the same exact processor & Ram as the mid tier MPC Live. :Sigh:
By starmanwarz Wed May 31, 2017 7:33 am
There's absolutely no way the X is worth 2200 euros, that's a ridiculous price.

3-4 months after release it's price will drop below the 2k mark (probably around 1800) and by then we will have a clear picture of it's features, hardware issues, unresolved bugs etc. Until then, I'm staying away.