MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lampdog Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:21 pm
Lampdog wrote:
MPCWeapon1 wrote:Too much money for the sequencer not to be rock solid.

This is my WHOLE reason for not jumping in.

Back then, I was solid 4k, all day ‘err day.

So now, present time, my 4k sits in the closet.
MPC X and Key61 have taken over MPC duties.
By Juxx Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:08 pm
So now, present time, my 4k sits in the closet.
MPC X and Key61 and have taken over MPC duties.

(let me hold dat! I know I'll get it out my system in about 2 months and ill give it back!)

I got GAS and for some reason I got my Heart Set on MPC 4K as that is the only classic I Like that floats into my price range once in while.

Even Though... I own a X, a LIVE 2, A Force, A MV8000, and a Push 2....

To Break My GAS I Pull up old 4K VS X threads on several different forum sites and Read the ones that say "Your Crazy X is light Years ahead of a 4k" etc.

So when I came across a possible answer for a question I didn't understand dropped here.

As Far as midi and jitter....
All I know is been Tracking out on my X in standalone mode. I just turn on Ableton link... The X and Ableton sync up and I push play on the X, it triggers Ableton and I record my tracks in.
By Jeff Soltero Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:28 pm
this is an uneducated response so roast me if you want. the newer generation mpcs are running an OS (linux) that is running the akai OS. computers have historically always had issues with solid sync, hence all the offset and delay/compensation options and feature requests for any daw thats available. the mpc having jitter makes sense to me in the same way that ableton or bitwig may have some jitter. the older systems arent running a full OS as a backend. there is less fluff and translation involved.
By Lampdog Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:56 pm
Jeff Soltero wrote:…….the older systems arent running a full OS as a backend. there is less fluff and translation involved.

This is exactly right.

X does lots of stuff 4k can only dream of.

4k does some things that X doesn’t do, you’d think by now X would have caught up.
#1 is mod matrix. There’s more but I don’t care or feel like going down that rabbit hole.
By HouseWithoutMouse Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:17 pm
Better-than-Atari external MIDI timing would be completely doable, but it's a bit more complicated, and it would require seeing it as more valuable. I've done some experimental low-level MIDI programming with microcontrollers and it's perfectly doable, not even difficult - but it needs a certain structure and putting in the effort. Akai's current performance feels to be in line with the level of understanding and appreciation of the "general public". With internal timing, internal sequencer, acting as master, it's sample-accurate. And that's what most people are using.
By indirect Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:23 pm
If its external midi sync the timing is terrible. Sometimes you get so crazy timing bugs, the whole beat falls apart. You can forget about audio track playback on external clock. Midi clock change causes a crackle even if warp is set to on. Pure shit.
Of course MPC 1000 has none of these issues, so as QY 20 , 22 , 100 , 700 .