MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By ocelot Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:49 pm
Hi,

I received my mpc live today and this is my first mpc. Pretty impressed so far except a few things I can not figure out and I would appreciate some help.

1. I load a sample(808) and use the copy function to copy it to different pads and I would like to tune the pads to my own scale but when I change the tune in the sample edit window all the pads change their pitch. Is there a way to achieve that?

2. Is it possible to delete samples from the sample pool?

Thanks!
By FoxV Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:31 am
ocelot wrote:2. Is it possible to delete samples from the sample pool?

There is a way to delete unused samples. Go to the cpu/memory monitor area (top right). At the bottom there is a Purge button. You can purge any sample not currently in use.
By L8 Nite Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:13 am
What about standalone? How do you scale 808s on the X/Live without software? First time MPC user but old Roland, and Novation user.
By mtempo Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:54 am
I am running into the same problem. I have a sample on a pad which I would like to copy several times and edit in different ways (change start and end times within the sample, and also tune up and down). Does anyone have a solution to this?
By Lampdog Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:12 am
mtempo wrote:I am running into the same problem. I have a sample on a pad which I would like to copy several times and edit in different ways (change start and end times within the sample, and also tune up and down). Does anyone have a solution to this?

Physically make another copy of the sample.
By NearTao Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:44 pm
Lampdog wrote:
mtempo wrote:I am running into the same problem. I have a sample on a pad which I would like to copy several times and edit in different ways (change start and end times within the sample, and also tune up and down). Does anyone have a solution to this?

Physically make another copy of the sample.

You can also unlock slices... and make slice 1 different from slice 2 different from slice x...

slice 1 of the sample can have the same or different start, end and loop points...

EDIT: Personally I don't think I'd do this for various reasons... and would probably make a copy... just wanted folks to know you can use non destructive slices to do this too...
By Lampdog Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:49 pm
Op mentioned an 808 sample. I assumed it’s one note and slices are more for bigger samples.

I could be wrong, maybe the sample is not one note.
By NearTao Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:52 pm
Lampdog wrote:Op mentioned an 808 sample. I assumed it’s one note and slices are more for bigger samples.

I could be wrong, maybe the sample is not one note.

Yeah, but what I'm trying to say is that slicing doesn't need to be for chopping...

Slice 1 - start of the sample is 0, end is end, assign to pad 1
Slice 2 - start of the sample is 200, end is end, assign to pad 2
... repeat this...

For doing this though, I'd probably just use 16 levels and be done with it that way... but I can see somebody might want to have the same sample, but adjust start/loop/end points separately on different pads.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:17 pm
I’ll stop guessing, idk what the sample sounds like.
By K. Rah Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:42 pm
Hello, I have a question that is similar.. I wonder if there is a shortcut to assigning slices from more than one sample. I used to be able to do this with program chops in JJOSXL on the MPC2500.

For example,

Let's say I had two 30-second long samples sampled from different sections of a song. I go into both extracted samples and chop them up, creating 2 new programs. I want to combine the two programs into one, where after the last slice of the first part, the next pad become the first slice of the second part. I used to do this on the 2500 by holding the pad and hitting up on the cursor I believe, which would make a copy of the sample onto that pad along with all the settings (like the copy function on the Live). pressing the + key would count to the next slice . then hold the pad, cursor up, + key and repeat.

I'd like to be able to do this just as quickly on the Live. Right now I have been copying the entire thing onto as many pads as I expect to use, then using the wheel to change the chop numbers one by one. Is there a faster way to do this? Thanks for reading..