MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By fl92 Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:07 pm
Hi, does anyone know a way to make your own instrument for MPC Live if this is possible, or a quick way to drop in a sample and be able to play it with a midi keyboard like a sampling synth. Thanks :)
By kejlabal Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:17 pm
Damn right. Every forum/Facebook group contains perfect noobs buying the Live and asking for simple questions. But they tough they can learn just by viewing Akai'page videos...
By marctronixx Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:23 pm
There's several posts on this forum asking the same things. People (some) are just too lazy these days to search out questions and get their own answers. My post count to sign up ratio is wide because I do my research without needed to ask redundant questions.
By Unreallystic Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:42 pm
marctronixx wrote:There's several posts on this forum asking the same things. People (some) are just too lazy these days to search out questions and get their own answers. My post count to sign up ratio is wide because I do my research without needed to ask redundant questions.

... "eh" ...
When you say noobs, you're essentially saying people who don't know much of anything, which means there is a high probability that they don't even know what it is they are looking for or what to look up. When you've hit that wall, asking people will get you closer to what you want than just random google searches in hopes of finding what you are looking for. Google-Fu is how I got here, and I'm positive I've asked dumb questions in my few post, but that's driven by me simply not knowing what to look up...especially being "relatively" knew to the Akai workflow and setup. so while yes, people should google as much as possible 1) Google anything for the Live/X and you 9/10 times will pop up at a review or here and 2) you have to have at least a mild understanding of what you are searching for. On the current subject, this is something I'm interested in, I didn'think it was possible, will be good for me to read.
-Unreall
By Mike Boogie Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:52 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I swear we're needing to do significantly more RTFM responses these days.

There is TRUTH in that statement. But with every product release, there is going to be a wave of noobs asking EASY questions.

Now the REAL QUESTION should be:

Have KeyGroups been updated to compensate for sample length aka REAL-TIME Timestreching?
By Unreallystic Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 pm
kaydigi wrote:To be fair it's not entirely clear that there is a second manual. The quick guide is worthless and the main manual should have been printed in it's place.

When I first got my live I couldn't find a real manual online and HAD to resort to asking questions here. Eventually I saw a post about a guy selling the manuals, and I realized they had finally put a manual up. Grabbed it, printed it, instantly regretted there not being page numbers on the print-out, proceeded to read through it anyways. Still chewing, too many major life issues going on right now though to focus too much on it (screw cancer, screw power surges, screw car accidents).

for how thick it is, I want to get it printed and binded at like Office Max or something w/ page numbers. How I have it now has been problematic to sort through, and I'm not on a computer when using the Live so I need a print out.
- Unreall
By Unreallystic Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:29 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:All phones these days read PDF files, I find it hard to accept that people still need all those dead trees just to quickly search for something in the user manual. PDFs have a search function, zooming and are updated easily for each new os update.

Its not always about ability - its about preference. Doing a bunch on my phone is personally cumbersome compared to flipping a page. ESPECIALLY when - being honest - I'm a 90% newb - so I'm literally studying the manual, highlighting, etc like when I was college. I'm not using it to find out how to do one or two things. Just like I would any DAW - taking a class or reading a book, I'm studying this to get my money's worth out of it. For 95% of people they should just use the pdf - no question, especially for - being honest - this manual that is a LOT of pages, even though its not "dense"...some pages get looked at for like 30 seconds and that it.
-Unreall
By kejlabal Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:54 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:people still need all those dead trees just to quickly search for something in the user manual.

+1, and in fact you lose the ability to search for a word with paper.
By Moho Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:40 pm
I spend all day staring at screens that's why I printed mine, also why I bought a live.
Both are better implemented on a computer but sometimes you just need something tactile.
By [email protected] Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:45 am
MPC-Tutor wrote: I find it hard to accept that people still need all those dead trees

with all the injection molded plastic and lead solder and applied brominated flame-retardants etc etc involved in the manufacturing of the hardware, i think its ok if the dude wants to waste some wood pulp to print out a manual to physically mark it up and study ;P