MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By wende Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:30 am
please people tell me that i do something wrong with my testing .
on every product information akai telling the people that in the mpc live is 2 gb ram available .....this is not true ....i dont know exactly how much (iam to pissed about this lie ,to test it properly) but around 500mb the mpc tells me memory full .why oh why is this company in this bad mood ?
w.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:51 am
It has 2GB RAM on board, but this (I assume) must also manage the operating system, so whatever is left over can be used to hold samples and other project files. Similarly it is advertised as having 16GB of storage, but some of that is lost to the OS system and application files.

How is this any different to how a laptop is advertised? Does an 8GB Macbook pro have 8GB of free RAM available to you after boot up? No, because Mac OS will take up 1GB immediately, plus the memory for any required start up apps etc.
By wende Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 pm
Hallo Mpc tutor thank you for the quick Answer ,and yes you are right ......in my Head there was this Thing with my 4000 and 1000 like 512 and 128 are RAM for sampling ,so with all the Other drum Maschinen around .my Logic is maybe to simple ,but Mpc Buyers are normaly Interested in how much sample Time you got and not how big the System RAM is .i think Akai is playing with the Argument you told me. But you are totally right.thank you and happy day :smoker: :-D
By wende Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:35 pm
Oh yes this Could be one Part of the ...Mpc live is a Monster ....Series .plus copy notes in the Grid Editor, q link available from external Midi .really free Running Lfos List Editor and a proper modulation Matrix .ohhhhh Iam Dreaming
By kaydigi Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:42 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I believe there is talk of direct disk streaming potentially coming at some point in the future, so this will help if you need more samples in memory.

I'm not convinced they can pull off disk streaming since everyone will have a different ssd installed, sounds like trouble.
By wende Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:25 pm
@ kay digi
that sounds very logical to me .....seen against the backround that they not implement the simple things like the possibility to reordering the tracks.....i dont know maybe better to work with what it can do and .....enjoy sample chopping (but problem is it is not easy to not think about these lacking mpc features against 4k ore jjos2xl)
By jackmate Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:07 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:It has 2GB RAM on board, but this (I assume) must also manage the operating system, so whatever is left over can be used to hold samples and other project files. Similarly it is advertised as having 16GB of storage, but some of that is lost to the OS system and application files.

How is this any different to how a laptop is advertised? Does an 8GB Macbook pro have 8GB of free RAM available to you after boot up? No, because Mac OS will take up 1GB immediately, plus the memory for any required start up apps etc.

CPU

RAM: 2 GB
Storage: 16 GB (user storage, 10 GB pre-installed content), 4 GB (MPC operating system)

reads to me like the OS is allready covered and 2 GB of Ram are user-available....
....how would a OS that needs 4GB of space, run on 2GB of RAM?!

sure it´s semantics, but who would promote how much Ram the CPU got, when 75% are already used by the OS?! clowns....

It´s misleading and i for sure know that in the promo-vids they talk about "... having 2 GB of Ram available for your own samples".... if nobody really cares in the end, that´s another problem....

the clips click, the clip-mutes lag, the whole concept of a workflow in the editor is f....ed up,
I´m tired of buying beta-level machines that are promoted with features they simply can´t provide...
By Yorgos Arabatzis Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:30 pm
For me this is top priority!!!Disk streaming is already there in Octatrack via Static Machines...Last few days I'm using Live to DJ and every time i want to load a track i have to delete the other in order to free up the memory..
MPC-Tutor wrote:I believe there is talk of direct disk streaming potentially coming at some point in the future, so this will help if you need more samples in memory.
By Icepulse Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:26 pm
I'd like to see one person with an actual project running that maxes out the MPC Live's memory. I see a hundred complainers, but all from people who either A) didn't have the device, or B) intentionally loaded up the RAM with as many programs / samples as they could, to stress-test the thing.

Just MAKE MUSIC, ferchrissake. Show me a project where you have 60 tracks running, and the device is starting to show performance issues. Naw. People are too busy crying online like b****s to make some hot music. Pretenders.
By jackmate Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:04 pm
[quote="Icepulse"Just MAKE MUSIC, ferchrissake. Show me a project where you have 60 tracks running, and the device is starting to show performance issues. Naw. People are too busy crying online like b****s to make some hot music. Pretenders.[/quote]

thats complete bull-----

you might just use it for firing off the preset-samples and feel like you did a track, but if you want to use this for playing live, you´re **** by the limitation of the RAM...
if you use extensive keygroup programs as instruments you reach the limit easily, due to multisamples, so it doesn´t need 60 tracks to max-out that thing...
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:03 pm
It's definitely frustrating that there is no way to upgrade the RAM if you wanted to and I guess if you are running heavy multisample programs you'll soon run out. But TBH this I suspect the CPU will give up way before you reach memory overload if you try running a few fully loaded multisample programs along with effects. I think if you want to be running more complex programs, you might want to consider working with these in controller mode and bouncing them down for standalone use, or my preference would be to optimise the programs for standalone, for example use less keygroups, less layers, sustain loop all samples etc.