MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By marctronixx Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 pm
They're saving that for the MPC X MAX version, schedule to appear at NAMM 2018 .. :-D :smoker: :popcorn:

Danoc wrote:Well why didn't Akai just give us thee4gig ram then. :WTF: if its soldered then...

MPC-Tutor wrote:The RAM is part of the board, there's no upgrading, it's all soldered in. The RADXA boards used in the Live/X originally came in 1GB, 2GB and 4GB RAM versions, with an option for them to be manufactured to a custom spec.
By zangetsu01 Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm
marctronixx wrote:They're saving that for the MPC X MAX version, schedule to appear at NAMM 2018 .. :-D :smoker: :popcorn:

Mark my words: The Next MPC's are goint to look exactly the same.. :smoker:

They'll only beef up the spec's (stronger CPU and more ram and maybe the Live will get transport buttons and a tilt screen).
By d2ba Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:13 pm
Answer to why only 2GB is obvious

The main board they've used (Radxa Rock2 SoM)
http://wiki.radxa.com/Rock2/som
Akai used the 2GB version. Don't think ram is upgradeable its a turnkey one size fits all solution,so once you choose your version of motherboard thats it.

Ordering Information
radxa-rock2-som-A: 2GB ram, 16GB eMMC
radxa-rock2-som-B: 4GB ram, 32GB eMMC
radxa-rock2-som-C: 1GB ram, 4GB eMMC
By richie Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:05 pm
Like I've said before - we will only have actual insight in to the capabilities and possible hacks/modifications once someone taps in to the serial ttl points and has a gander.
By Icepulse Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:31 am
When I look at what the giants did with the SP-1200, I shake my head at threads like this. This is an MPC. You're not supposed to load up a GB of loops and tracks. The MPC is not for that. Use ONE cable to connect it to your notebook, and run your 2 hr. Show from an onboard 8gb RAM.

The reason it's a hybrid is for scenarios where the onboard specs simply aren't enough.
By SlowwFloww Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:57 am
If Akai put in 4gb, people are complaining that they need 8gb. When Akai put in 8gb, people start crying they need 16gb sample ram....

Just be creative, don't sample whole songs.. Even 1,5 gb will give you more that 2 hours of stereo sampling! You really need more than TWO HOURS of stereo sampling time??

My mpc500 has 128mb, my s950 has 1,5 mb. That's more than enough...
By zangetsu01 Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 am
While what you guys saying is true, you can only use 512 mb of that 2Gb for your samples. And Akai made it look like you can use the full 2GB for that purpouse.
So how about that?

Personally I don't care all that much about it because I know that I'll be using it in controller mode with my Surface Pro 3. This laptop is a powerhouse in the size
of a A4 papersheet and around 1 cm thick.
By wende Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:57 pm
ohhh people ohhh people
in my head this thread was finished( for me) but now i have to say something again because of some of you ......i think missed the point .........
yes yes yes it is tru the best great artists made super great music with totally limited equipment .
another generation they made music without computers (this is the music we all take our samples from ....aggree?)
but why the hell should i by myself a horse and take 4 weeks time to go to a gig in paris if i can jump in a train and drink a beer in the restaurant and jump out of the train happy after 6 hours ? hääää?
i bought a train with the mpc live not a horse .
why a train?: audio tracks
clip program s
timestretching
why not a horse?:audio tracks
clip program s
timestretching
it is possible for all users to say ok i use only 3 tracks and 6 sounds with a maschine that has 6 billion gb of ram,
but it is not possible in the mpc live to use the clip program in the style andy and all the akai promoters showing us.
why clip programs if it is not possible to put enough clips for a proper live set in it?(disc streaming is old people please remember why hardware samplers become obsolete...(for most of the users) one point was disc streaming )

please people do it and tell me how much space you need for 8 audio tracks and the song is 6 minutes long .
understanding the point?

IT IS NOT ABOUT THAT THE MPC IS A BAD DEVICE IT IS ABOUT THAT IN THE PROMOTION AKAI LET THE PEOPLE THINK THEY GOT 2 gb OF SAMPLING TIME.

and to all who say hey use what you got pros. can handle everything bla bla......yes pros can handle everything but pros can not be kidding
By Living Bate Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:41 pm
wende wrote:why the hell should i by myself a horse and take 4 weeks time to go to a gig in paris if i can jump in a train and drink a beer in the restaurant and jump out of the train happy after 6 hours ? hääää?
i bought a train with the mpc live not a horse .

i guess what you are saying is that you jumped on the train but there was no beers on board, and only a few dry sandwiches

and even though you aren't that hungry, you really fancied the beer..

you've got a cold lemonade and you are enjoying it because its really refreshing.....its even got ice and slice in it.....but its the beer you were looking forward to....

so you are glad you got the train and not gone on horse back...as you will still make it to Paris in good time....but hey....its a bit of a shame about the beer......there is even a beer advert on the side of the train....

no?
By starmanwarz Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:50 pm
Some can work with 64MB and others need 16GB of sample time but that's not the point.

What matters is that Akai, once again, lied to us. They advertise 2GB of sample time (it even says so on the box itself) and we get 1/4th of that.
By Living Bate Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:07 pm
I get the bus to Paris.....i'm quite comfortable with that decision

There's no beer on there but as i am fully aware of that fact I just buy a few cans from the local boulangerie before i get on....

I'll keep getting the bus for the foreseeable future....