MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:17 pm
Can't wait to get my chair. Imagine all over the world thousands upon thousands have home studios.

Eyalc wrote:Thanks man. Yeah it’s a comfortable chair.

I don’t know the kind of camera though. A friend of mine took the photo.
By Moog77 Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:03 am
Hi Danoc, Blue Monster,

it‘s a Heritage 535 - made me sell my R8 with enough change left to get the MPC... haven‘t looked back for a second. If you can get past the headstock it‘s hard to find anything better I think.

I‘ve been fiddlin‘ with the pedals for 15+ years and finally feel like I‘ve arrived.

I‘ll use the rig with my synth as well as soon as I am able to get it set up and crank a few baselines out of it. Just need to clear my desk, haven‘t been making electronic music in years...

Bests,

Christoph.
By Danoc Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:16 am
Peace Moog, you got some really nice pedals. You just cant go wrong with what you have.

I have only on pedal, Thats for my midi Keyboard.

Moog77 wrote:Hi Danoc, Blue Monster,

it‘s a Heritage 535 - made me sell my R8 with enough change left to get the MPC... haven‘t looked back for a second. If you can get past the headstock it‘s hard to find anything better I think.

I‘ve been fiddlin‘ with the pedals for 15+ years and finally feel like I‘ve arrived.

I‘ll use the rig with my synth as well as soon as I am able to get it set up and crank a few baselines out of it. Just need to clear my desk, haven‘t been making electronic music in years...

Bests,

Christoph.
By Ill-Green Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:07 am
Eyalc wrote:Had this taken for the inside cover of The Beautiful Warrior.

For a minute, I thought it was Kanye in the studio on this small android screen lol!

Looks like a comfortable place to sit and listen to music all day, nice place Eyalc!
By Blue Monster 65 Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:09 am
Moog - cool. I just sold a Black Light edition of the PolyTune 2. I think those are great tuners! I've got a headstock model now and am diggin' it.

I'm more of a guitarist than sampler, truth be told. I used to build amps and pedals, and repair guitars. My gear these days consists of one of my own amps (1x12, 15 watts), a Fender Electric Blue edition '68 Custom Princeton Reverb, a Dunlop EP103 delay (Echoplex), a (sort of) Squier Tele ('tis bastardized, but has a Squier neck with rosewood fretboard and - I think - body) and my baby, which began life as a Gretsch Clipper, but by the time I got it was a body and a neck. I'm pretty sure they went together, but, either way, they're together now, along with P90s, a Bigsby, locking tuners fat frets and a graphite nut. It's my original Blue Monster. I'll get some photos and post 'em when I can.
By Eyalc Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 am
Ill-Green wrote:

For a minute, I thought it was Kanye in the studio on this small android screen lol!

Looks like a comfortable place to sit and listen to music all day, nice place Eyalc!

Lol. Thanks man. It is. Wish I could spend more time in there. Like every day all day.
By Eyalc Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:27 am
Danoc wrote:Eyaic Whats that DAW you have on your screen?

Logic Pro X

I’ve been a Logic user since version 4 and the Emagic days. These days I use an MPC and Logic for composing. Logic for audio tracking, and Logic / UAD / Waves for mixing. Wavelab for mastering unless it gets sent out to someone else.
By Danoc Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:40 am
:arrow: Logic, MPC , UAD, Waves and Wavelab dope chain to work with.

Eyalc wrote:Logic Pro X

I’ve been a Logic user since version 4 and the Emagic days. These days I use an MPC and Logic for composing. Logic for audio tracking, and Logic / UAD / Waves for mixing. Wavelab for mastering unless it gets sent out to someone else.
By Moog77 Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:37 am
Eyalc, amazingly clean setup, looks perfectly focussed. I just listened to the snips of The Fearless Warrior at the bottom of your posts, great stuff! I‘d love to hear more on how this came to life, like inspirations, sampling vs. use of live instruments, how you produced those super-transparent drumtracks... is there any dedicated thread already? Anything you‘d be willing to share?

Blue Monster, yeah guitar is my main instrument as well - started 25 years ago then took a deep plunge into drum&base/ acid stuff admiring Amon Tobin, Photek, Plastikman... then business happened, sold all my studio gear, guitars remained. Now I‘m trying to get back at it - my ex-wife would call it midlife crysis :mrgreen: but I need to get the „voices“ outta my head.
I‘ve got a homegrown P90/ Bigsby concoction as well and a beast she is for sure, maybe I‘ll get around and snap some pics later.
By Ill-Green Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 am
Moog77 wrote:Eyalc, amazingly clean setup, looks perfectly focussed. I just listened to the snips of The Fearless Warrior at the bottom of your posts, great stuff! I‘d love to hear more on how this came to life, like inspirations, sampling vs. use of live instruments, how you produced those super-transparent drumtracks... is there any dedicated thread already? Anything you‘d be willing to share?

Blue Monster, yeah guitar is my main instrument as well - started 25 years ago then took a deep plunge into drum&base/ acid stuff admiring Amon Tobin, Photek, Plastikman... then business happened, sold all my studio gear, guitars remained. Now I‘m trying to get back at it - my ex-wife would call it midlife crysis :mrgreen: but I need to get the „voices“ outta my head.
I‘ve got a homegrown P90/ Bigsby concoction as well and a beast she is for sure, maybe I‘ll get around and snap some pics later.

I'll just say, Eyalc is a bonafide musician. This man will create a whole Jazz composition himself just to sample it and make some Hip Hop on the X. :nod:
By Eyalc Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:37 pm
Moog77 wrote:Eyalc, amazingly clean setup, looks perfectly focussed. I just listened to the snips of The Fearless Warrior at the bottom of your posts, great stuff! I‘d love to hear more on how this came to life, like inspirations, sampling vs. use of live instruments, how you produced those super-transparent drumtracks... is there any dedicated thread already? Anything you‘d be willing to share?

Thank you. Why you only gotta listen to the snippets? Why you can't buy my shit??? HAHAHA - Just playing man.

Of course, be glad to tell you more about it. Will keep it to this though, as I don't want to derail Danoc's thread - it's got great momentum as it is. So if you have other questions feel free to DM me.

Inspiration - sometimes a song - loved the organic soul vibe around the world in the early 2000s. Sometimes I hear bass guitar phrase, sometimes a rhodes phrase, sometimes an acoustic guitar phrase. I start with that, and put more live instrumentation, or sampled live instrumentation around it. I don't play every single thing you hear. Sometimes I use other musicians if I can't figure it out for myself. But in either case, for the most part, it's gotta sound like a live performance, else I don't use it.

Transparent drums? Mixing, mixing, mixing. I was the kid that didn't listen to music to be entertained. i was the kid that listened to it asking - "how'd they do that?", "why'd they do it that way?" or "why does that song make me feel THAT way?". When mixing, everything has an acoustic lane, and some instruments compete. It's about using dynamics, volume and panning to make them not compete - give them their own lane in the mix. Some instruments, like bass guitar and kick drum - they compete, so I use spreading and eq to give them their own lane. Same with guitars and vocals. Other instruments have the same "rules". For what I do, every instrument tells part of the story of the song. And so it has to sit in the mix in a way that allows it to do its job. If I can't get it to sound right, which happens sometimes, it gets muted. LOL

Anyway, hope that helps a bit. The Beautiful Warrior will be out February 6th, in case you want to buy my shit then too. HAHAHA.