MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By nicolasbulb Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:44 pm
I know the MPC Live doesn't have XLR input but when I've tried to use my either Shure SM57 or AKG phantom (with built in battery) C 1000 S, the signal is super low.
My music store told me I have to use a preAMP for that but preAMP means power and the real power of the MPC Live is being able to take outside with the battery.
So I was wondering if there are other options available?
Did anyone tried the Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator?
https://www.thomannmusic.com/cloud_micr ... ivator.htm

Would be wonderful if it works!

Thanks
By Danoc Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:48 pm
You need a preamp. I did vocals on a cheap Samson and yet it was super low, being i know how to make it louder I was ok. But I am going to get a preamp. The vocals was nice and clean, I was shocked, so it was all good.

I'm looking for a decent preamp now.

I might get this, I won't do serious vocals those are done at the major studio.

ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-Tube-MP-Stu ... SwpkFY5~M1

nicolasbulb wrote:I know the MPC Live doesn't have XLR input but when I've tried to use my either Shure SM57 or AKG phantom (with built in battery) C 1000 S, the signal is super low.
My music store told me I have to use a preAMP for that but preAMP means power and the real power of the MPC Live is being able to take outside with the battery.
So I was wondering if there are other options available?
Did anyone tried the Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator?
https://www.thomannmusic.com/cloud_micr ... ivator.htm

Would be wonderful if it works!

Thanks
Last edited by Danoc on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ill-Green Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:01 pm
Most little recorders provide the 48v phantom power you need for certain mics like condensers, but if you using a dynamic mic, I think you'll be fine without a preamp. Or use the mini recorders as a preamp and sample from it headphone out.
By Mia.Mikel Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:29 pm
Hi

I am using a ROLAND DUO CAPTURE EX as a pre-amp with my MPC Live and it works like a charm include
Phantom Power +48V.
I am powering it with three Alkaline AA batteries. So I don't need power cord :P
And you could power it with USB as well ...
I am using a condenser mic from Sennheiser :-D
I have two XLR inputs/2x 6.5 jacks. both inputs are adjustable plus one adjustable main output.
Peak light is also available ... and a lot of other feature like MIDI IN/OUT, etc..
Price around €100.-

Cheers

Michael
By Ill-Green Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:11 pm
Mia.Mikel wrote:Hi

I am using a ROLAND DUO CAPTURE EX as a pre-amp with my MPC Live and it works like a charm include
Phantom Power +48V.
I am powering it with three Alkaline AA batteries. So I don't need power cord :P
And you could power it with USB as well ...
I am using a condenser mic from Sennheiser :-D
I have two XLR inputs/2x 6.5 jacks. both inputs are adjustable plus one adjustable main output.
Peak light is also available ... and a lot of other feature like MIDI IN/OUT, etc..
Price around €100.-

Cheers

Michael

Hello Michael
**in KITT's voice**

Thats how I'm doing it bro, but I'm using a Tascam DR44WL, its got XLR and 1/4 inputs where I connect my mics. Record then sample the results out its Line out or wifi it to an SD card and load it up in the Live, either way is good and quick. The internal mics are great too but I go in battle with my own rifle. It also has mastering with EQ to sharpen up the sounds.